how can this guy's budget setup sound so good?

Easy answer is that there is no such thing as 'doing everything wrong'. Recording anything is 99% experimental and the recorded playback is subjective to the listener. There are those who will be convinced that by spending more they will record better and again, by spending more will enhance the listening experience. And of course, you don't know how much editing went into the YouTube clip.

I don't know. Amazingly though, some people fall for it.

Most people in the general population fall for it because 95% of the population doesn't know about pro audio recording like people on this forum do. They don't know that placing a single $50 mic over the bass note w/ the piano lid closed could never produce a rich, clear sound. If you read the comments in his video, another person wondered why his own C1 didn't sound this good.

I think the video is deceitful. He put the 2 mics and a laptop in the video as if to suggest he's recording with them; in his description he even says he's using an ATR2020 and a C1. I think the consensus here is he did not use a C1 to record the piano track. I know most professional music videos aren't live, but at least they don't pretend to be

Who is? An aspiring recordist wants to know why that video sounds so good, in his opinion.
He could have wasted a lot of time and money trying to imitate something that isn't real.

Yeah I learned a lot from this thread. I was going go out and spend a few hundred on a mic and AI, thinking that's all I would need to achieve good results, but now I won't because I know that video is "fake" and you can't achieve that sound with a C1 mic and a low-end AI.

Yeah I learned a lot from this thread. I was going go out and spend a few hundred on a mic and AI, thinking that's all I would need to achieve good results, but now I won't because I know that video is "fake" and you can't achieve that sound with a C1 mic and a low-end AI.

Good.
And a big fuck all y'all to anyone who said this was 'over analysing'.

I'm glad you got something from this thread.

It is not impossible, just not likely...Well, yeah, it is kind of impossible with one mic.

Much less expensive to spend money on a MIDI keyboard and a good VSTi than to build a room worthy and mics, preamps, ........

Most people in the general population fall for it because 95% of the population doesn't know about pro audio recording like people on this forum do. They don't know that placing a single $50 mic over the bass note w/ the piano lid closed could never produce a rich, clear sound. If you read the comments in his video, another person wondered why his own C1 didn't sound this good.

I think the video is deceitful. He put the 2 mics and a laptop in the video as if to suggest he's recording with them; in his description he even says he's using an ATR2020 and a C1. I think the consensus here is he did not use a C1 to record the piano track. I know most professional music videos aren't live, but at least they don't pretend to be

Quote reply to a quote. I wasn't having a dig. :thumbs up:

I totally agree with you, his video is very deceitful. Claiming in the info part what he used for the recording, etc, and never one stating that it was a video to a previously recorded song, which it so obviously is. Too many people on YT do this.

Interesting comments underneath the video.... and listing your in-ear monitors in your gear list?

He didn't seem to answer any of the questions about how the C1 sounded so goooood.

I think his youtube link should be deleted. Bcos all this thread is doing is giving him more views which was all he wanted in the first place.

This little video clip shows the problems of recording grand pianos, and why they don't sound 'right' unless the space works for you. In this particular example, despite the stereo mic, the ones used for the recording are the close mics, because these recordings are for dance exams, and will be replayed in very reverberant spaces - they're kept pretty dry. This piano is also a pain because the dampers are very percussive, making close mic techniques even more troublesome - the distant mic hears far too much of the room.
[video]http://vimeo.com/user616661/httpvimeocomgranthorsleypiano[/video]

Here are two further audio clips from the finished products - one is real piano one is a pianoteq

They all sound different, but it's a choice - I never thought my pianist would dream of using the plastic piano, but on listening, he likes it - plus, the benefits of editing need to be taken into account!

without reading all of the comments, my knee jerk response is that its a cheap USB mic compared to XLR mic. I have not heard a USB mic that sounded good. The converters are just bad.. that guy might be running that Behringer mic into a decent pre/converter and it would make all the difference in the world.

Heck, even USB headphones sound like crap compared to a decent headphone amp. Night and day..

GO PATS!!!!
OK, HAD to get that out!!! Ok, here's my advice... It's not the equipment, it's what you do with it. Work with your stuff. Play with it. When you find something that works, remember it. When you find something that doesn't, remember that as well. You never know when you might be able to use that 'sound'. The more familiar you are with your equipment and how to use it, the better off you'll be.

Alright guys,

This is no lie. I came to this forum looking for some EQ tips, clicked this thread out of curiosity, and found my own videos being analyzed. What are the chances? But, to clear things up, here's the truth.

The original track used TruePianos VST for the piano sound, an AT2020 for lead vocal, a C1 for background vocals, and EZDrummer for the percussion. Recorded into Sony Acid. Focusrite Saffire 6 interface.

The other video posed, Love So High, WAS live. I used Logic Pro X's "Steinway" sample, along with an SM58.

None of the videos used the built in Yamaha keyboard patches.

Sorry for the deception, OP. If you would have sent me a message I would have responded with the details. To be honest, it's just easier to pre-record and edit a video than it is to have 30 takes.

Hope this clears everything up.

-Drew

Alright guys,

This is no lie. I came to this forum looking for some EQ tips, clicked this thread out of curiosity, and found my own videos being analyzed. What are the chances? But, to clear things up, here's the truth.

The original track used TruePianos VST for the piano sound, an AT2020 for lead vocal, a C1 for background vocals, and EZDrummer for the percussion. Recorded into Sony Acid. Focusrite Saffire 6 interface.

The other video posed, Love So High, WAS live. I used Logic Pro X's "Steinway" sample, along with an SM58.

None of the videos used the built in Yamaha keyboard patches.

Sorry for the deception, OP. If you would have sent me a message I would have responded with the details. To be honest, it's just easier to pre-record and edit a video than it is to have 30 takes.

Hope this clears everything up.

-Drew
Wow, that's a fairly cool thing- to have you run into this, and responding as well
hmm where's that little 'thumbs up thingie This'll do
:guitar:

Back