Windows vs Mac

I'm not advocating upgrading every time something is available. And if you have excellent equipment (like the Lynx or Aurora mentioned) and good skills, you can stay up and running for decades. But jumping from Windows 98 to Windows 8 would be huge culture shock. Jumping from protools 5 to 10, etc. That's all I meant to say. It's easier to stay in the loop every couple upgrades (and I don't advocate keeping up with beta release, just off the press stuff) than every 5. That said, there is a point to be made about spending 10 hours learning how to deal with the 5th upgrade vs 3 hours per.
And I also agree there's no wrong way to do it. But you can run into headaches when your 10 year old PC suddenly drops out because the power supply has burnt up the CPU and memory and your drives are old architecture that's hard to find support for.
BTW, if I had a $1700 Nuendo software package, I'd keep it for a while, too :D

But jumping from Windows 98 to Windows 8 would be huge culture shock.

This is true.
Since it's a mac/windows thread I may as well point out that the basic layout and menu structure of OSX pretty much hasn't changed since 2000.
It's one of the things I really love about apple. You spend an hour after each update trying to work out what's different whereas you spend an hour with some of the windows updates trying to work out where control panel went. :p

The differences between OSX 10.0 and 10.9 (14 years!!) are a bit like the differences between win 95/98/me/xp.

This is true.
Since it's a mac/windows thread I may as well point out that the basic layout and menu structure of OSX pretty much hasn't changed since 2000.
It's one of the things I really love about apple. You spend an hour after each update trying to work out what's different whereas you spend an hour with some of the windows updates trying to work out where control panel went. :p

The differences between OSX 10.0 and 10.9 (14 years!!) are a bit like the differences between win 95/98/me/xp.

:laughings: This is TOO true! And then tell me what you use for anti-virus...Macs are secure as well! My wife has urged me the last three times I've upgraded to go Mac, and I regret it every time I don't. Maybe next time.

Macs aren't totally secure, people just don't write as many viruses/malware for them as the Windows user base is way bigger.

e.g. Apple Flashback virus outbreak tackled - Telegraph

Nothing's totally secure....Obviously, but this is one of the main areas where apple currently have massive appeal.
I have virus scanning software on my apple computers. I use it to scan Microsoft installs when I'm doing repairs for people. :p

The fact that the link is headline news and it's from 2012 sort of makes the point.

BTW, this is the last post for me. I am now working with several budding engineers who quit using the newsletter because of how they were treated. I just ran into the same thing, a moderator even telling me they would ban me if they could. I've been called an idiot, stupid, and accused of being a troll pretending to be an engineer. For two years I've given my time and experience to helping anyone with a question. I didn't comment on the numerous other answers even though a lot of them were not on the money. Since I'm not getting paid for it, there's no reason for me to put up with the treatment I've been getting. The moderator even called my posts "dangerous". So, if you want to talk you can reach me at rodjnorman@yahoo.com I have a long document outlining the basics and there are numerous links for advice from other engineers I can give you. Good luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

When I first read these lines I sympathized with the guy because I already stayed in a similar position (be stalked because my opinions didn't match the moderators thoughts). This is not the case here thought. After to browse the forum and find some crazy posts from this dude I have to agree that his advices are at least very far away from ortodox or even fair. Not a doubt that some of his ideas may be dangerous and very arguable.

:eek:

Anyway, I don't think that mostly here will miss him anyway.

:rolleyes:

PS: I know that it diverges totally from the OP thread but since the guy used it to rant about his discontentments I imagined that it wouldn't hurt anyone to congrat the mod Jimmy for putting a little push over him in this stupid thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...t-important-mastering-tip-beginners-352416/3/

:facepalm:

The fact that the link is headline news and it's from 2012 sort of makes the point.

Just the first Google result! I half-remember another more recent story of a big Mac virus outbreak. It happens, but it is much less of an issue than it is for Windows. But, because so few people use anti-virus on Mac, it could be a good target to build a secret botnet!

Just the first Google result! I half-remember another more recent story of a big Mac virus outbreak. It happens, but it is much less of an issue than it is for Windows. But, because so few people use anti-virus on Mac, it could be a good target to build a secret botnet!

Yeah, and unfortunately there is a LOT of people that think that it applies to Linux too.

:facepalm:

Yeah. I've no doubt it's the calm before the storm. As any system or platform grows in popularity, there will be more assholes who want to f**k with it.
The only secure computer isn't plugged in.

That's why so many have separate PCs for recording. Keeps them unconnected and semi-safe. You can download on your main computer, scan for viruses, transport via TS protocol (Tennis Shoe), and install with fairly high security.

That's why so many have separate PCs for recording. Keeps them unconnected and semi-safe. You can download on your main computer, scan for viruses, transport via TS protocol (Tennis Shoe), and install with fairly high security.

I'm just a hobbyist and I go the dedicated PC route. I know it's more initially, but the computer lasts longer and is virtually trouble free once you get it running. Plus being a family man the internet devices are usually being used anyways.:D

A lot of people are gearheads who need to have the latest and greatest stuff and there's nothing wrong with that if you're into it. Personally, I have more gear than I'll ever need and while when I first got into this stuff a lot of things were lacking, there's really nothing to hold person back from creating something other than their own ability.

The major breaker that I see is people who want to use their "gaming" PC for recording. Yeah, it's got all the bells and whistles, but it's also got to maintain the very newest drivers, the best OS, the fastest graphics card getting swapped out every 6 months, etc. That machine is not going to be stable. End of story. Up until last year, my gaming PC was the least stable machine in the house. Always spending half my gaming time trying to patch/tweak/download/upgrade something. What changed? I stopped playing the foolish, time-wasting games and started putting some real stock in getting my music sounding better and my ears hearing better. Game machine got scavenged for the hard drives and sold the rest of the parts off for $500 at the local rebuild place (should have seen the guy's eyes as he went through the MB, graphics cards, Beast memory, case and PS and realized what he was getting for $500--guess I could have asked for more).:D

The major breaker that I see is people who want to use their "gaming" PC for recording. Yeah, it's got all the bells and whistles, but it's also got to maintain the very newest drivers, the best OS, the fastest graphics card getting swapped out every 6 months, etc. That machine is not going to be stable. End of story. Up until last year, my gaming PC was the least stable machine in the house. Always spending half my gaming time trying to patch/tweak/download/upgrade something. What changed? I stopped playing the foolish, time-wasting games and started putting some real stock in getting my music sounding better and my ears hearing better. Game machine got scavenged for the hard drives and sold the rest of the parts off for $500 at the local rebuild place (should have seen the guy's eyes as he went through the MB, graphics cards, Beast memory, case and PS and realized what he was getting for $500--guess I could have asked for more).:D

Yes thank you! gamer computers like alienware or whatever aren't meant to last that long. They know people will be upgrading every year. My brothers 3000 dollar computer broke after two years. If you really look at technology my 2007 macbook still holds up pretty well in terms of perfornance. Hell the processor is still better than some brand new macbook airs. I'm a cheap ass but if you push too hard to get the best bang for the buck manufactors are going to cut corners theres no way around it.

Great discussion, my compliments to its contributors. For what it may be worth, here is our experience. We had a Mac driven system 24 channel system that was overdue for upgrade/replacement. When the analysis of computer hardware/software required was done, a Mac Pro came in at over $6000, so we decided to build a W7 system to run with Pro Tools for $2200. It has been working great since, with no driver issues. I suggest that you select interfaces that are known for having stable drivers on both platforms, as the computer hardware/operating system, in our experience is almost never the cause of problems. We know that the Macs work great, but in our case, for the money we saved, we were able to acquire better preamps & interfaces by RME. Just understand that some products will only work with Mac, (Metric Halo, Logic, Apogee, and others, etc.). All of this comes down to your budget and your preferences. The actual hardware you get should be driven by YOUR requirements, and not what other people prefer. Best of luck in configuring your studio.

Back