Super cheap AI? Any one?

Yeah, the 'Brasil cost' is a PITA -- beside the freight we still have high federal, state and custom taxes. Also with the president election day coming fast (next October 5) the dollar exchange raises like crazy and it impacts still more the price of imported stuff.

:cursing:

Probably it doesn't make any sense for you that elections mess with the dollar exchange. Well, this is a historical thing. A couple decades ago the inflation here was really wild (something like 80% a month) and we had a president elected in 1990 that in a crazy attempt to control the inflation by stopping consumers simply hiijacked ALL citizens and companies bank accounts. So imagine you going to sleep at night with 1 million in your account and the morning after you discover that there is only $1000 because all the rest was blocked by the government. It was a real chaos.

So people became suspicious about government and every time we have new elections there is a 'race' for dollar buying. Maybe it doesn't make any sense for you also but in the inflation times to buy dollar cash was a good way to protect your money. I did it myself a few times. People just bought dollar bills in exchange shops and keep that in home under the mattress (or wherever). Anyway, as in any market when the demands raises the price raises together, and that's why dollar exchange is raising -- because there is a lot of scared people buying them. I don't think that anything will happen (it is the past and things changed). Now our economy is very stable but you know how is hard to get rid of a cultural habit: people just keep doing things without to really think about why they are doing it.

:wtf:

Well, back to the audio interfaces I just decided for the Behringer UCA222 while typed this long message and already placed my order. Not so bad I will pay it in 12 parcels of $6.50. It really won't break the bank.

:)

About the functionality since I have a preamp (a Behringer Mic100) I will be able to couple impedance and put the signal in a good level without any problem. I really doubt that this interface can be worse than my onboard sound card, so all in all, I should be fine.

:cool:

Thank you all for your inputs. I was about to buy a 'guitar link' when I started this thread.

:eek:

Yan, check this out: Behringer Umc22. Interface De Audio Usb . Loja . Garantia ! - R$ 379,99 no MercadoLivre

USB, one line/mic in with gain, one hi-z in with gain, two line outs, direct monitoring, priced closer to the cheaper Behringer than the Roland (a little more than a hundred 'merican bucks). Before buying, just make sure that it works with 24 bits (couldn't find that info on the ad).

EDIT: sh!t, just read that:

I just decided for the Behringer UCA222 while typed this long message and already placed my order

Can you cancel the UCA222 order? The UCA222 is really, really limited.

I have found the UCA-222 for something around USD 75 and the next cheapest audio interface is the Roland EX-UA 11 for $195.

Aside by the brand and a fancier look by the specifications both seems to offer the same resources (stereo in/out and phone out through an USB port) that is what I am in need.

The UCA 222 inputs are unbalanced. I know you said the buzz is coming from your adapter so it might not be a big deal, but I wouldn't be buying any unbalanced gear.
The other interface looks like the line inputs go through the preamp stage. Again, it might not be a problem but I'd want dedicated line inputs.
Unfortunately it's not easy to find a straight up converter/interface for cheap.

If the buzz comes and goes when you wiggle the adapter, just get better cabling/adapters. :)

Thanks guys, too late now... I already placed my order. Now I will await until it arrive and see if I crapped over my own head again. LoL!

:laughings:

Hi Yan,
I did some clips with a cheap Tele into the 202, now that you have ordered one I do not have to post them and expose myself to (more!) ridicule.
Suffice it to say, I got an easy -65dBFS noise floor (not bad for an electricgit?) with strummed levels around -20dBFS.

Some tips on using the interface,
It will install itself (I am assuming Win 7?) and will appear, rather oddly as "Microphone USB Codec" in the windows sound regime and in my software at least, Samplitude.

The initial noise level will look horrendous but go into the Windows sound menus and turn the USB Codec level down from 100% to about 3 or 4%..Yes! Really that low. I did not experiment but some playing around will maximise dynamic range with your particular system I am sure. As it is a noise floor of -85dBFS is quite possible.

If you have any "proper" guitar pedals (i.e. NOT that "true" bypass ***t) you can use one to buffer/control the guitar into the 222. I did a brief test with a Boss GE7 eq, seemed fine.

On board sound? Yes kill it IMO. It makes operational sense to run all sounds back out through the Behringer box.

Dave.

Hi Yan,
I did some clips with a cheap Tele into the 202, now that you have ordered one I do not have to post them and expose myself to (more!) ridicule.
Suffice it to say, I got an easy -65dBFS noise floor (not bad for an electricgit?) with strummed levels around -20dBFS.

Some tips on using the interface,
It will install itself (I am assuming Win 7?) and will appear, rather oddly as "Microphone USB Codec" in the windows sound regime and in my software at least, Samplitude.

The initial noise level will look horrendous but go into the Windows sound menus and turn the USB Codec level down from 100% to about 3 or 4%..Yes! Really that low. I did not experiment but some playing around will maximise dynamic range with your particular system I am sure. As it is a noise floor of -85dBFS is quite possible.

If you have any "proper" guitar pedals (i.e. NOT that "true" bypass ***t) you can use one to buffer/control the guitar into the 222. I did a brief test with a Boss GE7 eq, seemed fine.

On board sound? Yes kill it IMO. It makes operational sense to run all sounds back out through the Behringer box.

Dave.
Hey Dave, that's cool! I am reliefed that someone have had a positive experience with it. And you gave to me valuable tips! Thank you!

OK, I think that's important to mention something.

In my OP I said that I had to buy a cheap AI because I have had spent also around $1000 with a new bike. So one may think "WTF!?!?".

Well, there is a reasonable explanation for this. Think about the bike as a medicine. I didn't WANT to buy it but I HAD to. Yeah, doctor said that I HAVE to exercise myself to fight the sedentarism and although I am not exactly fat it wouldn't be hurt to lose some weight. So he suggested me the bike because my bad knees (low impact).

I could have bought a crappy $100 bike but I made this mistake twice in the last decades and trust me: it wasn't was good idea because the bikes ended being given away after a couple rides. This time I choosed a good one, bought the minimum accessories (foam shorts, helmet, gloves, beame, etc) and joined a local bike team. It was a really necessary move.

Weird question for future purchases. If someone were to buy something in the states and mail it to you in Brasil as a gift, would you have to pay tariff and taxes?

Weird question for future purchases. If someone were to buy something in the states and mail it to you in Brasil as a gift, would you have to pay tariff and taxes?

Well, it depends. If the stuff is sent in the original sealed package or even off of the box but we that brand new aspect probably yes, because the customs officers will think that I made a purchase and asked to the merchant to declare it as a gift on an attempt of escape from the taxes, specially if it is an electronics. But if the stuff comes out of the box, with the AC chord winded around it, etc (I think you got the picture) then NO because they will really believe that it is a gift. My american boss has sent me a couple stuff like this in the past and I never paid any penny.

Then it drives you to another question: "So if I send you a BRAND NEW gift you will have to pay the taxes?" The answer is YES. Well, mostly. It is important to keep in mind that arrives about 60,000 packages in Brasil through post office service daily and the custom officers won't be able to check not even 10% of this, then although it is a huge and heavy package that catches too much the attention, there is a big chance that it be released without to be checked. I already received several packages that I swore that it would be taxed and that was just delivered to me.

And, of course, even having to pay the tax over a gift package won't be as painful since I didn't have to spend for the good itself!

BTW, are you north, south, inland or coastal? Brasil is a huge place...que Estados, señior?
I am at inland part of southeast region, Sao Paulo state, precisely on a small town called 'Campos do Jordão' (something like Jordan's Fields).

I am not too good with Google Maps, but I think it will work:

https://www.google.com.br/maps/plac...2!3m1!1s0x94cc89cbf10d10bf:0x42ed1a032c8ae78f

Oh, and by the way, it would be "senhor" and not "señior" (although it pronounces almost the same). Remember, here in Brasil we talk portuguese and not spanish!!!!!

:D

Point I was trying to get to was if you buy something used, do you pay tax and tariff? And I believe your answer was "no."
That will honestly help in the future as we come up with things that we can ship you...and what not. I'm not advocating breaking the law, but if we have used stuff we can sell you, or wish to give away, it will help, no?

Point I was trying to get to was if you buy something used, do you pay tax and tariff? And I believe your answer was "no."

Hey, yes you are right. Used stuff won't pay taxes, specially if they aren't huge. For instances, if someone send me a tube guitar amp or a Les Paul guitar, or something like that, it surely will be stopped at customs. But smaller stuff such as an audio interface, a guitar pedal, microphone, such things, I am sure that it will pass straight.

That will honestly help in the future as we come up with things that we can ship you...and what not. I'm not advocating breaking the law, but if we have used stuff we can sell you, or wish to give away, it will help, no?
For sure, I agree. I really appreciate it -- specially the give away part.

:thumbs up:

A bit late for this I guess, but this seems to be the most bang for the buck interface on the market:
Behringer U-Phoria UM2 | Sweetwater.com

Not too much cheap here as expected. Around $160.

:mad:

Dudes, I really envy the way as you whose lives in USA and Europe can go to the store next corner and buy all sort of equipment for ridiculous prices.

:eek:

And it is not only the price, the variety is also something incredible. Here in Brasil you do not have too much choices on nothing. The merchants 'decides' what is good for the market (by the trend I suppose) and then you only have those 3 or 4 models everywhere. I remember when I go visit Disney with my parents in 1991 and how amazed I got when I steped into a stationary store in Miami. Yep, you read it right: a stationary store. I couldn't believe the HUGE amount of options of nice paper and related stuff. Almost 25 years later things didn't change too much here in Brasil in this matter. I meant not the stationary but the lack of choices in every area. I cannot even start to compare a brazilian hardware store (not computer stuff, but nuts and bolts and stuff) with an american one.

:facepalm:

Time to move. We have all the good stuff here! lol!

:D

I wish I could! But I am too old for such adventure of start over on an entirely new life as an illegal immigrant. LoL. I had this dream of live in USA though when I was younger although life is not bad in Brasil. If you are a regular guy that do not have a too weird or a too technical hobby you are completely fine. LoL.

Nonetheless me and my wife have this plan of move to Canada when we get a bit older. The fact is that with what I earn today I would live a miserable life there but I have a considerable inheritage to come when my dad pass away. Also my wife don't want to move too far away while her mom still lives -- so another dependency on a pass way. What a creepy text! LoL!

:laughings:

Back