Super cheap AI? Any one?

YanKleber

Retired
Hey!

As the thread title says I want to know what is the cheapest yet decent AI I can purchase? I am after something REALLY cheap. I am not after a better quality or so. Any AI that deliver the same quality as my sound card is OK for me.

It is just that I am sick of the P1 jack of my SC. Beside that it is behind the computer I also have to use a stupid awful adapter to reduce from P10 to P1 and it keeps making a lot of "buzz" and ground sound making me freak out along my record sessions trying to make it to stop buzz. Then it should be fine to have something plugged into the USB instead. This is the only reason I am going to a AI. Beside I just spend over $1000 buying a new bike and accessories so I cannot spend much. And I mean it.

• I do NOT need Phantom power
  • I do NOT need preamp (I would be happy to keep using my external preamp between the mic and the interface)
  • I do NOT need monitoring
  • I do NOT need to record more than one track at once
  • I do NOT need a quality better than my S/C
  • I want to pay super cheap

Actually what I need is something as simple as a way to input the sound into the computer through USB.

Thanks!

:thumbs up:

• I do NOT need Phantom power
  • I do NOT need preamp (I would be happy to keep using my external preamp between the mic and the interface)
  • I do NOT need monitoring
  • I do NOT need to record more than one track at once
  • I do NOT need a quality better than my S/C
  • I want to pay super cheap

Hey Yan,

Hate to second guess you, but I'm thinking you might need outputs for monitoring.
If you plan to use the built in output for monitoring then you might run into diffs as most DAWs+OSs don't like sharing I+O across two 'interfaces'.

The buzz you hear could very well be coming from using unbalanced inputs, so jumping to something like one of those Behringer UCA jobbys might not yield any improvement.

I'd recommend the cheapest 'proper' audio interface you can reach, with dedicated line inputs.

Do you have a Paypal account Yan?

It is not worth your time replacing crap with other crap. Trust me. I have been there.

The Behringer UCA 202 (222) really is pretty good within its 16bit limitations.

The noise floor is way good enough for instance for tape dubbing (and vinyl but I prefer 24bits for that for other reasons) . The downside of the wee box is no input level control and it has rather poor headroom. Fed from the tape out sockets of a hi fi amp or cassette machine, no problem but most mixers and other sources can overload it. A simple solution is a pot in a tin, beer into water to make.

The odd thing is, one assumes that the A/D-D/A built into cheap mixers, certainly Berries, is the guts of a UCA? However the external device performs much better than the mixers!

But I agree, better to get a basic AI with pots! M-Audio M-track or check out the pawn shops.

Dave.

Hey Yan,

Hate to second guess you, but I'm thinking you might need outputs for monitoring.
If you plan to use the built in output for monitoring then you might run into diffs as most DAWs+OSs don't like sharing I+O across two 'interfaces'.

Hmmmm, so are you saying me that by using an AI I have to disable the soundcard? I didn't know about this.

The buzz you hear could very well be coming from using unbalanced inputs, so jumping to something like one of those Behringer UCA jobbys might not yield any improvement.

No, it is not that. It is a bad construction of the P10-P1 adapter. It keep giving a bad contact then I have to tap it some times til the buzz vanish. As I said, I am sick of deal with that P1 jack and the adapter.

I'd recommend the cheapest 'proper' audio interface you can reach, with dedicated line inputs.

I see... damn!

:(

---------- Update ----------

Do you have a Paypal account Yan?

I do, why?

It is not worth your time replacing crap with other crap. Trust me. I have been there.

I see... damn!

:(

You should not have signed out Yan...

What you mean???!?!?!?!?

:confused:

PM me. I'll send you $50 to help you to get a better interface.

My good deed for the month. :)

Dude, you going for recording Sainthood? Nice move. I don't want to sound like I have a man crush, but that is a classy move.

I would step up to something better man. Get to the $100+ range and you will have something worth using for years.

But if that is all you need then go for it. Buy some beer with the rest of the money. :drunk:

Hmmmm, so are you saying me that by using an AI I have to disable the soundcard? I didn't know about this.

Nope. Although some do for simplicity.
I'm saying many daws as you to chose one device to cover ins and outs.
If you choose onboard you'll get output. If you choose your new device, whatever that may be, you'll be input..see?

Best to have it all in one box. :)

Buy a (used) $100 interface or a new $150 one (there are many models to choose from) and you'll be good for years to come. A $50 'adapter' will leave you wanting something else in a few weeks.
I think we told you to get an AI back when you first arrived here, didn't we? The noise you are getting from using a mic preamp and adapters to your computer's OEM card are an example of spending a little now gets you nowhere later.

I would step up to something better man. Get to the $100+ range and you will have something worth using for years.

But if that is all you need then go for it. Buy some beer with the rest of the money. :drunk:

Haha, I am out of beer -- well, not completely out, but I only drink alcohol-less ones!

:D

The problem is that those things are WAY expensive here in Brasil (the old damn Brasil cost). So, let's see the options I have here... I have found the UCA-222 for something around USD 75 and the next cheapest audio interface is the Roland EX-UA 11 for $195.

Aside by the brand and a fancier look by the specifications both seems to offer the same resources (stereo in/out and phone out through an USB port) that is what I am in need. Other than that the only extra thing I can see is that Roland has an input volume control and a peak lead (that can be done with my preamp). Also, in the case of the Behringer interface I will have to buy/build a J10 x RCA cable to plug in my guitar/mic/preamp due to the fact that it doesn't have a J10 jack.

There is anything else that I am not seeing?

:confused:

What's that email address for your PayPal?

Hey Jimmy, it is yankleber@gmail.com.

:)

No worries, Jimmy... your cool intention is what really means to me!

:)

Normally I don't have any problem on getting cash through PayPal, but every new day is a new experience in this crazy computer world! LoL!

:facepalm:

About the Behringer x Roland difference... what would you say about this?

Well, the real issue is that you really just need a line input. I am not aware of any interfaces cheaper than the Tascam US1800 that has two of them. That is way more than you need though.

You may be best with the Behringer for now. You would have two preamps inline with the Roland. This is not always desirable. You would be stacking the noise levels of the two preamps.

My interfaces do not have line inputs, but they do have a -26dB pad on each input channel that results in a basic line level with preamp gain down all the way. But they are $700 units with very clean preamps.

Your prices there are double what we spend in the states. Lame!

Back