New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi! I'm Mojo, a college student currently double majoring in computer science and theatre, in both cases focusing on the sound aspects. I started doing sound design in high school with an outdated mac, garageband, and a school-provided sound system that was old nine years ago. Now I've gotten slightly better stuff to work with, but want to start organizing my own set up. I don't do a lot of music myself (although I often work with musicians), mainly focusing on recording sound effects. Soon, I want to begin recording radio plays.

Hi all, I'm YiGa, been recording with my band for more years than is fashionable! Keen to get feedback on some of our stuff from our peers and to raise awareness of it. We live in North East Scotland, and love 80s electronic music. I'll post links to our stuff on the appropriate thread!

Peace!

YiGa
Yikkity Home Page

Hi. I just joined today. Looking forward to being a part of this forum and learning some new stuff. I'm new to the whole home recording thing and so it would be cool to gain some tips and advice. :)

Hey there, I'm Sam aka trigonoah. I'm new to this site, literally found out about it just a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about home recording and contributing posts. I've always wanted to make music since I was younger but was always too distracted to take the interest seriously. I love to sing and look forward to making accompanying music. I recently got into song writing though I really suck at it haha. Maybe I'll get better at that too.

I am a real newbie and 60 years old so need help please. I used to use home studio 4 but that only worked with XP. I downloaded Sonar X2 as a trial to see how it went. I am contemplating going back to playing again and was aiming to find backing tracks. So am weighing up between Itunes karaoke backing or doing my own midi backing tracks. I am a novice and want to simply play my keyboard along with the backing tracks and sing. So rather than set my keyboard up I was wanting a simple way of playing the downloaded tracks through the computer but cant get sound. I used to use edirol but it wasnt brilliant. What do I use for X2 and how do I add the particular soft synth or whatever I need.

Having posted my request for help I now have sound after adding Cakewalk TTS1. It may not be the best solution so if anyone has a better answer, please let me know.

Hi! My name is Brian. I'm a new member and I want to learn how to make and record music. Black Friday is coming soon and I'm trying to scramble for a good set to start off with. I'm considering: (1) AKAI Pro MPK 249 (2) TC-Helicon Voice Live (3) MXL V63M Condenser Studio Microphone. I already have headphones and I'm receiving a desktop Mac soon. (I will ask of softwares later on, but I want to focus on the actual supplies that I need to purchase.)

(1) What is wrong with my set?

(2) Am I missing anything?

I would like to know ALL of the supplies needed for a good, beginning home set. From cables to monitors to mic stands. My budget is around $1,000.

Thank you.

Black Friday? There may be some sales then I suppose...

I am not seeing anything there that resembles an audio interface. You NEED that. Trust me.

Spend some time reading the stuck 'sticky' threads at the top of each forum here. There is much more than just gear that makes for a quality setup.

Thanks for your response! Here:

Presonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB Recording System

I looked one up. It's set at a decent price ($100). Will I need anything else?

Monitors, room treatment and a bunch of time spent on learning how and why as you record.

Not to be a bringer down of your enthusiasm, but many get exited to make the next hit record only to find that it takes much more than gear to get there.

Don't worry man it is possible, but it takes a shitload of time and learning to get to a point where you will feel that you have what you need to do it.

This all comes after the fact that the talent is there.

Start out with what you have budget for, but know that that is not what it will cost to make it all work at a professional level. That is not to say you may not be satisfied with entry level stuff for your needs, but do not expect a $5000 budget and lack of 'years' of experience to compare with the shiz you hear on the radio. It just does not work that way.

Best to know that now. Some get there quicker because of pure natural talent. Most don't. I don't know you yet and am not making a judgment of you personally, but the typical is not so easy to get there without spending a bunch of time and money.

Best to you man and keep that drive! :)

---------- Update ----------

By the way, it would be very helpful if you described what it is you plan to record and what your goals are.

Hi. Steve here. I want to record and videotape a lot.

See the post above. :)

What are you goals man? What do you have in mind? Quite a vague introduction.

I like my family, my career and my studio.

I don't first post in a new forum saying 'I like spaghetti and shrimp a lot'. Just saying...

Hey guys. My name's Dick. I was a member here a few years ago, but life happened so I took a hiatus. Now I'm back and plan to record rock n roll again in the very near future. I'll post some crap in the clinic as soon as I figure out how
how.

Hi I'm new here but used a Portastudio for many years & just recently took a course on Cubase. Hope to learn some good recording tips here.

Hey guyz!
i am new to homerecording.com , heard about people who became pro in this site. i am also willing to be a part of circle like you pro people.
right now i have focusrite scarlett studio kit. and the badest thing is, after investing my whole pocket money i'm still not getting good outcome. no one in my town has awareness about mixing and mastering.
i'm a featured guitarist and a bit keyboardist. right now am using reaper with lots of plugins which puzzle me alot.
really need your support and help to start my home studio.
i will be thankful to you.

Faddy
FADDY CRISTIANO

Just a howdy, from a 72 year old use to be country singer. I'm still interested in home recording us to the other guys would do most the work, but now I'm the newbie.
Equipment = just bought a Behringer X1204 usb and can't get it hooked up.
Pair M-Audio 5", mics = Behringer B-1, " =B2 , Cad U37 usb and a power
house amp to handle all 2X75 Thats about it. Just a Hi from Union, MO.

Hi everyone, I'm Aileth. I found this forum while googling some information on how to deal with recordings/creating a sort of home studio.
For the next few months I want to develop skills to be able to create and record songs at home and would like to get feedback from other people and also learn from mine and others' experiences.
I'm using flstudio with an m-audio fasttrack pro external soundcard and a keyboard/microphone, all of which I still have only very basic knowledge.
Here's what I've done so far:
https://soundcloud.com/ailethvaughan

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Stan. I just stumbled into this forum a few days ago. Very nice to have a place like this. I've been home recording since the old reel to reel days. I just got through wearing out a tascam DP-01 and before that a 4-track cassette tascam. I'm looking for some user info on the latest tascam recorders.
still learning after all these years
Looking forward to getting to know yall

Back