New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi! im Coil. I like playing live with Ableton and my launchpad, and recently got a MPC500. I like to play guitar too, and do everything from mixing/producing to scratching and playing ragtime on the guitar. From the most experimental to classics. Singing. I love to record and use orthodox verified techniques or just go crazy and break all the rules and try anything.

(I joined some time ago, how can I change my username, Thanks!)

Hello :)
I signed-up here to get some information about microphones and I find this forum very interesting, by browsing some topics I got some useful information.
I like to play piano but my experience with this instrument is very limited. :)

Hi there guys,

My name is Timothy P. Berner, I'm a mutli-instrumentalist (drums, bass, keys, sax, vocals, double bass), and I REALLY want to be an audio engineer when I grow up!

Hey guys. This is David. I got a pair of Krk5 and a Scarlett 2i4. Im looking for a microphone to complete the basic need to run a small recording space. It's just a small set up in my bedroom. If there's any tips that i could use to make this space a lil better for recording, please share it with me. Need more informations on the microphones which I should seriously consider. :listeningmusic:

Nice to be here!
I have to many guitars/music gear...been playing for about 9 years.
I never got deep into recording.
I feel I can't express myself optimally with someone else operating the DAW.
Now I've decided to dive in....here goes nothing

Hi All,
I'm not a singer - but I'm looking for singers to compete in a competition I am going to run next year. This will take place in the north east of England and there will be a charge for all singers, but there is an opportunity to win a nice cash 1st prize. I am looking to gauge interest from this forum - which has been highly recommended to me.....if I could ask you to either email or message with your interest.

Many thanks
Andy Martin

Hey guys. This is David. I got a pair of Krk5 and a Scarlett 2i4. Im looking for a microphone to complete the basic need to run a small recording space. It's just a small set up in my bedroom. If there's any tips that i could use to make this space a lil better for recording, please share it with me. Need more informations on the microphones which I should seriously consider. :listeningmusic:

Hi Dave!
You could hardly have chosen a better interface in that price range and the Kr's are very well thought of, so great start!
So, microphones. What are you going to be pointing them at and what will "it" be doing?

For general singing (pop for a better word) you could do a lot worse than the ubiquitous Shure SM57/58 and they will be fine on a guitar cab or other "loud" instrument.

For more refined music, acoustic guitar say, I suggest a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser). More sensitive but most of all far wider bandwidth, especially the top octave. Two mics are VERY handy on Ac' guitar.

For dedicated speech recording you really need an LDC IMHO and the latest Rode NT1 looks very tasty.

You will need to treat the room for recording, check the stickies but essentially you need to stop your voice getting out into the room and coming back over your shoulder! N.B. You do NOT want a Vocal Booth!

Dave (we are BLESSED with them!)

Hi All,
I'm not a singer - but I'm looking for singers to compete in a competition I am going to run next year. This will take place in the north east of England and there will be a charge for all singers, but there is an opportunity to win a nice cash 1st prize. I am looking to gauge interest from this forum - which has been highly recommended to me.....if I could ask you to either email or message with your interest.

Many thanks
Andy Martin

As this is primarily a forum for home recordists it's probably not the best place for you to rope in paying singers.

I am a singer/songwriter, with a new band looking to get some good advice/guidance on recording. I am somewhat IT savvy but overwhelmed with the technology of recording. Bought a Tascam DP-24 and have made some basic recordings but I can't seem to get the recording levels high enough so that when I share the file or burn a CD people don't need to crank up their volume all the way to hear it. Definitely not an engineer, and not looking to be one, but need enough info to produce a recording that is decent enough to share.

I am a singer/songwriter, with a new band looking to get some good advice/guidance on recording. I am somewhat IT savvy but overwhelmed with the technology of recording. Bought a Tascam DP-24 and have made some basic recordings but I can't seem to get the recording levels high enough so that when I share the file or burn a CD people don't need to crank up their volume all the way to hear it. Definitely not an engineer, and not looking to be one, but need enough info to produce a recording that is decent enough to share.

Do some reading around the site. WHat you have discovered is that you record at reasonable levels (as you have done), giving plenty of 'headroom'. After you have finished mixing and rendering your tracks to a stereo track, that track should be mastered to bring up the overall volume and even out any EQ issues in comparison with other tracks or a reference track.

Last edited:
Hi Southbridge (got a road here called that!) and welcome.

Without in ANY WAY contradicting Mike's post this is something that boggles the noob all the time and you might find it easier to understand if I tell you that all those ToobToons that run at a gnat's undercarriage below full level are WRONG!

As I sit here I am listening online to Radio 3 in HD sound and my sound card meters tell me that the continuity lady is running between -20 and -15dBFS. The music will cover a range of -50 to -10dB and maybe on very rare, very loud passages -6dBFS.

If you have an older CD of some jazz perhaps, you will almost certainly find a similar dynamic range.

But then the recording industry declared war on our senses and slammed everything to 0dB. You just carry on recording down at sensible levels and use a bit of free software called "Audacity" to crank things up for Toob distro as the final act.

Dave.

Hey you all!!

My name is Yan, I am a brazilian guy, married, 48 yo.
I enjoy a lot of stuff among them to play roughly the guitar and keyboards.

Since I was 20 (and it was almost 30 years ago) I have this dream about to record an album. Well, actually the original dream was to become a pop rock star and play on TV, but since it was a bit harder I settled with the album stuff. LoL!

Around that time (1986) my mom that was a home keyboard player bought an equipment that was kind of top-line for home producers, a thing called Tascam Porta One that was a 4-track recorder that used cassete tapes. Here a picture of the thing:

Tascam-Porta-One.jpg

So that's when I performed my first attempts on something barely near to what we called 'demo-tape' at home. Using my guitars, a few Boss pedals, mom's keyboards (Poly 800 and Juno 106), a $10 Sony mic and this Tascam I had a lot of fun but it never happened as a concluded project at all.

So, years has gone, my mom has passed away and around 2002 when I was just married, I made a new attempt, this time already in the DAW age. Unfortunately I had sold my gear years before and bought a crap gear in a rush, so again the project was abandoned because a lack of good resources. Well not just that, there was other personal factors that prevent me to do it right that time.

Anyway, more 10 years passed by and at 2012 I retook the project. Now with much better gear, no rush this time and living in a very pleasant place where I have the peace of mind and time to do it with calm. And last but not least the invaluable help of my wife that beside to give me all the support I would expect, she still agreed to join the venture as the main singer -- knowing that she is NOT a singer, never thought about be one and have zero musical background. Yeah, she is really brave!

Anyway, although I have interrupted and restarted the recording project a few times, I never stopped to write songs. So I could collect a good amount of stuff along all those years. I have compositions from 1986 till maybe what... yesterday? (lol - trully!!!)

Then, fast forwarding, I have passed the last two years working on the recordings of my favorite tunes whenever I have a chance.

Well, that's it. I am very happy to have joined this community. Thank you very much for embrace me!

:thumbs up:

But then the recording industry declared war on our senses
It reminded me about these terrifying dance club tunes that are mastered with so much compression that the whole music keeps pumping in the rhythmbox beat. It simply drives me crazy and makes me feel tortured as if I was a dog and someone was blowing a supersonic whistle right beside my ear.

:facepalm:

If I could press a 'destiny button' to imediately delete every copy of every tune that has this characteristic and simultaneously make every audio pro to forget how to make such mastering I would.
easy-button.jpg

Hello world! I'm from Indiana, longtime guitar player wanting to get some knowledge of recording from computers, as well as an introduction to mixing and sound processing. Looking forward to a lot of good reading here.

Wassup guys im goodboy ique 22 years old from the dmv. Im a hip hop artist

---------- Update ----------

How long have you been playing guitar?

Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this forum! I am have burning issue with my DAW. Where (and how) do I ask questions about that, please?

Thanks in advance,

R

sdfv

Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this forum! I am have burning issue with my DAW. Where (and how) do I ask questions about that, please?

Thanks in advance,

Start a new title in Newbies and give name of DAW,

Computer or mac specc'

Make and model of interface (do hope you have one if not HTF are you making music?)

Other gear is useful to know, monitors? mics? headphones? And of course what sort of music you want to do. Vocal. Guitar, vocal+guitar, v+g+ Crumbhorn? MIDI?

Dave.

R
.Start a new title in Newbies and give name of DAW,

Computer or mac specc'

Make and model of interface (do hope you have one if not HTF are you making music?)

Other gear is useful to know, monitors? mics? headphones? And of course what sort of music you want to do. Vocal. Guitar, vocal+guitar, v+g+ Crumbhorn? MIDI?

Dave.

Hi, I'm Jason and started out playing guitar when I was younger. My band back then couldn't find a singer so I started singing then too. Later in life I started writing more then anything else, and now I find myself recording and mixing my own tunes. I'm currently in the studying stage of eq and mixing my music. I'm hoping I can get some good feedback and learn from this site!

Back