Monkey Man (Rolling Stones cover)

I think it sounds great. I love this song too!

I've never heard the original. I don't know anything of theirs besides Satisfaction, I think.

Then fix their shitty mix! Damn, RAMI, you're better than that :D

That has to change. Listen to Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street.

Damn sho sounded like Mick. I had to sit up straight when the vocs came in.
Another for the bass coming down some, but I love the tone.
Very very cool ivory ticklin.

Very first thought was that I dug the bass tone, so that hooked me in right away.

You do a good Mick!

Love the piano bits. They jump out at me nicely.

Okay now, I feel compelled to come up with a crit, so... you don't... play as simple as Charlie? You have too much groove? lol... I got nuthin'
Hehe...He's not black.

Wait, neither am I.:eek: Oh well, must be another reason. :D

Thanx KF

I think it sounds great. I love this song too!

That has to change. Listen to Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street.
You tell him!!!
Thanx Phil, I've always loved this tune, too.

Damn sho sounded like Mick. I had to sit up straight when the vocs came in.
Another for the bass coming down some, but I love the tone.
Very very cool ivory ticklin.
Thanx sammy. I appreciate that.

OK, I caved in to popular badgering and turned the bass down and the vocals up, each by just a db. I figure it doesn't change much for either one individually, but it changes their relationship with each by 2db in favor of the vocals, if that makes sense. Thanx a lot. :cool:

RAMI, I know the original! :laughings: If you want to nudge it toward the original slightly, you can put a bit more space on the piano (maybe it's a delay/reverb blend?) and on the bass as well (on the original, the bass sounds like it's at the back of a hall sort of). In fact the whole track except for Mick's vocal is pretty drenched in space. And maybe dial back the upper end on the bass a bit? Just ideas to play with. This is one of my favorite Stones songs. You done good. Sorry...done did good.

Thanx a lot buddy. I've never put any kind of saturation on my overall mix. In fact, other than a limiter, I never put anything on my overall mix. I'd rather do most things at the tracking level. Maybe I'll try it for this tune just to see what happens.
I get that man, I was just suggesting the saturation on the master because the original sounds like it was baked into the tape....

But, since we're on the topic of saturation, wouldn't that be kinda like a compressor/glue thing man??? Just curious, I've read all kinds of stuff about saturation, & while I've messed with it a little (very little honestly), in theory, it does seem like it'd kinda glue everything if used sparingly...Sorry to hi-jack, just tryin' to learn/figure out some stuff here dude, & your songs/mixes are as good as any pro/commercial stuff I've heard, so I figured I'd ask you....:).

Great performance & mix dude....my hat's off to ya....

I get that man, I was just suggesting the saturation on the master because the original sounds like it was baked into the tape....
Yeah man, I wasn't suggesting it;s not a good idea. I was just saying that I never had done that.

But, since we're on the topic of saturation, wouldn't that be kinda like a compressor/glue thing man??? Just curious, I've read all kinds of stuff about saturation, & while I've messed with it a little (very little honestly), in theory, it does seem like it'd kinda glue everything if used sparingly...Sorry to hi-jack, just tryin' to learn/figure out some stuff here dude, & your songs/mixes are as good as any pro/commercial stuff I've heard, so I figured I'd ask you.
You're probably right, but I really don't know. It probably would glue everything together. I've never used saturation plug-ins, other than occasionally on a bass track. Definitely something to look into and play with, though.

OK, now you guys are confusing me. :D

Nor sure what you mean, DM. Throw it out? It's too bassy, too loud???

Thanx a lot for the help so far. I'm sure there are adjustments to make.

My comment was regarding the rhythm guitar. Not the lead one.

My comment was regarding the rhythm guitar. Not the lead one.

Right. The main guitar, right? Because there isn't really a lead in this song, other than the slide "solos". I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about the same guitar. But either way, I agree with you.

I think of the slide parts as lead guitar parts, and the originals are heavy reverb for sure, think you got that sound right.

I think of the slide parts as lead guitar parts, and the originals are heavy reverb for sure, think you got that sound right.
Ah ok. Yeah, I see the slides as the lead guitar, too. Thought you were talking about the guitar in the right speaker. Anyway, I have them all pretty reverbed. :)

Nice vocal, got your Jagger on. Your reverb settings sound good to me but there's no accounting for taste. I felt you rushed your guitar parts in a couple spots but I know I do it all the time. Not that it's a big deal but the the one that really struck me was about :22 in when the drums came in on the F#7/C# chord. I don't get the feeling that you're big on edits I thought I'd mention it.

Tight, dude, tight. Your drums seem to be occupying a much different space than usual. It fits this song. I like it. I really like your groove toward the end, too. Yup. All good here... Rock on, dude.

Your tones sound great on this rami - piano and those lead guitar tones in particular. Love the sound of that slide part - unusual to hear a mix of yours so verby.

Is any of the retracking with your re-amp box? Nice work :cool:

Nice vocal, got your Jagger on. Your reverb settings sound good to me but there's no accounting for taste. I felt you rushed your guitar parts in a couple spots but I know I do it all the time. Not that it's a big deal but the the one that really struck me was about :22 in when the drums came in on the F#7/C# chord. I don't get the feeling that you're big on edits I thought I'd mention it.
Thanx Paul. I'm not adverse to editing, I do it all the time. But you're right, I try to do as little as possible if I can play things straight through. I know what you're saying about rushing the parts. These riffs were a lot harder to play than they sound (for me anyway). I was happy to just be able to figure them out by ear and then play them so they sound acceptable. Thanx a lot, Paul.

Tight, dude, tight. Your drums seem to be occupying a much different space than usual. It fits this song. I like it. I really like your groove toward the end, too. Yup. All good here... Rock on, dude.
Thanx a lot Poet. These drums were recorded 5 years ago in a 9'X15' box of a room with 6:5' ceilings. Definitely not the ideal space.

Your tones sound great on this rami - piano and those lead guitar tones in particular. Love the sound of that slide part - unusual to hear a mix of yours so verby.

Is any of the retracking with your re-amp box? Nice work :cool:
Thanx Rob. No re-amping on this one. Other than the piano I added, and the re-mixing, everything was recorded about 5 years ago. I'm not even sure if I was using a real amp at the time, I really can't remember. The reverb is that way only because it's a cover tune. I don't think I would be capable of allowing myself to be this wet on an original. :D

The reverb is that way only because it's a cover tune. I don't think I would be capable of allowing myself to be this wet on an original. :D

Yeah, I figured your hand had been forced. I liked it, so I can't say I'm sorry :D

really good sound. Just nitpicks...

Vocals are a little forward. Guitar on the right could use a little less reverb and maybe a little boost in the 4K range?

Drums sound great. Kick is really tight sounding.

That's it for me. Really good.

Back