Monkey Man (Rolling Stones cover)

R

RAMI

I first recorded this about 5 years ago. Yesterday, I added piano, re-tracked some vocals and re-mixed it.

I'm not recording anything new until I get a new piece of equipment that I ordered a few days ago. So, until that time, I'm taking the opportunity to re-record or re-mix some older stuff.

Tell me watcha think of dis. :)

MONKEY MAN (Rolling Stones cover)

Last edited:
Maybe a little more reverb on the rhythm guitar? A little more volume on the kick? The bass notes are a little loud in a few places, but not overly so. As usual, well played and sung and tracked.

Maybe a little more reverb on the rhythm guitar? A little more volume on the kick? The bass notes are a little loud in a few places, but not overly so. As usual, well played and sung and tracked.

OK, I can do all that. Funny there's a lot of verb on the guitar. But, you're right, the original has it swimming in reverb.

Thanx man. I'll re-visit this later.

One of my favorite Stones song. You do it very well. Plucky bass at the start sounds a little to high on the fret. Might be wrong, but it seems to be missing some bottom (the plucky bass part, not the solid bass). I agree at the 2:13 mark, guitar is a bit too reverby.

At around 2:32 double check your bass. Sounded OK on my system but it seemed borderline. Another system might throw it out.

Anyway, thought it was damn good!

Maybe a little more reverb on the rhythm guitar?

I agree at the 2:13 mark, guitar is a bit too reverby.
OK, now you guys are confusing me. :D

At around 2:32 double check your bass. Sounded OK on my system but it seemed borderline. Another system might throw it out.
Nor sure what you mean, DM. Throw it out? It's too bassy, too loud???

Thanx a lot for the help so far. I'm sure there are adjustments to make.

Damn, you sound like Jagger. That's uncanny. Can you do the rooster strut?
Great performance (really don't have to say that on Ramitunes.)
Looking for ANYTHING to say about the mix besides excellent. It just is.
Ha! found it. The m-m-m-m-monkey is a tad too much volume at the end...comes really in yer face. Wow, really hard to nit your stuff, man!

Damn, you sound like Jagger. That's uncanny. Can you do the rooster strut?
Great performance (really don't have to say that on Ramitunes.)
Looking for ANYTHING to say about the mix besides excellent. It just is.
Ha! found it. The m-m-m-m-monkey is a tad too much volume at the end...comes really in yer face. Wow, really hard to nit your stuff, man!
Hehe....Thanx a lot dude. I'll bring that vocal part down a bit at the end. It was hard to find the right volume for the vocals in general because they tend to bury Mick's vocals. But when I tried turning mine down, it was hard to find a sweet spot where they'd still cut through.

Also, I realized that while I was checking something, I bypassed the cabinet on my (virtual) bass amp. That's why it sounds so plucky and direct. My mistake. I'll be re-mixing this in the next few hours.

Thanx a lot guys.

OK, now you guys are confusing me. :D

Nor sure what you mean, DM. Throw it out? It's too bassy, too loud???

Thanx a lot for the help so far. I'm sure there are adjustments to make.

I meant the lead guitar seemed to have either too much verb or not the right one.

On the bass, it was borderline on my system, thought to mention it for you to do a double check to just make sure. I don't 100% trust my system or my ears.

I meant the lead guitar seemed to have either too much verb or not the right one.
No, I knew what you meant. I said you guys are confusing me because you said the opposite of each other.

On the bass, it was borderline on my system, thought to mention it for you to do a double check to just make sure. I don't 100% trust my system or my ears.
I appreciate that. Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult but I still don't know what you mean. "Borderline" what?

I appreciate that. Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult but I still don't know what you mean. "Borderline" what?

Ah, borderline too heavy, my apologies for not being clear. Sounded good on my system but seemed like it wouldn't take too much to make it rumble.

Ah, borderline too heavy, my apologies for not being clear. Sounded good on my system but seemed like it wouldn't take too much to make it rumble.
OK thanx. Sorry about that. :D

Like I said, I had bypassed the cab by mistake. I think it sounds better now (I hope). I just put up a new version. Thanx buddy.

Vocal louder.

Bass guitar down a bit. I think that those two are fighting a bit too much in the center.

I can turn down the bass, but I'm not turning up the vocal. Listen to the original, this is the Stones. Mine vocal is way louder than the original.

I've never heard the original. I don't know anything of theirs besides Satisfaction, I think.

Then fix their shitty mix! Damn, RAMI, you're better than that :D

I've never heard the original.
I knew that by your comment.
I don't know anything of theirs besides Satisfaction
I find that hard to believe.

Then fix their shitty mix! Damn, RAMI, you're better than that :D

Their mix is fine. Pretty sure they have a good track record. I'm not striving for perfection. I'm striving for rock and roll. If there's one thing the Stones have done well, it's rock and roll, sloppy mixes and all. :)

Wow man, damn good cover, the thing that really surprises me is you sound so much like Mick....someone already asked, but I'll ask again...can you do the rooster strut thing while singing this???:)

Rami this sounds pretty damn good, the only thing I might suggest is a little saturation on the overall mix, listening to the original it sounds like it's got a little tape saturation on it...And, the guitar in the right speaker is just a little dirtier than your version, but the saturation thing might help with that...Of course, this is just me being super picky though, you sound great on this dude...

Very impressive to say the least...

Wow man, damn good cover, the thing that really surprises me is you sound so much like Mick....someone already asked, but I'll ask again...can you do the rooster strut thing while singing this???:)

Rami this sounds pretty damn good, the only thing I might suggest is a little saturation on the overall mix, listening to the original it sounds like it's got a little tape saturation on it...And, the guitar in the right speaker is just a little dirtier than your version, but the saturation thing might help with that...Of course, this is just me being super picky though, you sound great on this dude...

Very impressive to say the least...
Thanx a lot buddy. I've never put any kind of saturation on my overall mix. In fact, other than a limiter, I never put anything on my overall mix. I'd rather do most things at the tracking level. Maybe I'll try it for this tune just to see what happens.

I don't do the chicken strut. I can only sound like him, I don't look like him, though. :)

Very first thought was that I dug the bass tone, so that hooked me in right away.

You do a good Mick!

Love the piano bits. They jump out at me nicely.

Okay now, I feel compelled to come up with a crit, so... you don't... play as simple as Charlie? You have too much groove? lol... I got nuthin'

Back