Monkey Man (Rolling Stones cover)

really good sound. Just nitpicks...
Thanx. Lay it on me. :)

Vocals are a little forward. Guitar on the right could use a little less reverb and maybe a little boost in the 4K range?
Forward? Really? That's the exact opposite of what everyone else has been saying. I'm not saying you're wrong (there is no right or wrong), just interesting how everyone's perspective is different. As far as the reverb on the guitar, I don't think I have it was wet as the original.

Drums sound great. Kick is really tight sounding.

Thanx man. I agree with you on the good things. :D

Forward? Really? That's the exact opposite of what everyone else has been saying. I'm not saying you're wrong (there is no right or wrong), just interesting how everyone's perspective is different.

I listened again. I was probably a little too strong in my wording - because I think they're sitting at a point where we could only quibble about minute changes. But if it were me, I'd nudge down the vocal a bit. They're definitely not too far back. My opinion of course.

Damn that's good, one of my favorite songs ever so maybe biased, but your vocal is insane - you have that timbre I would kill for. The drums blew me away too, great sounds. Piano, slide and bass good also. The only thing I didn't care for was the rhythm sound, especially in the intro, I always liked the pushing the amp to distort sound on that song and this sounds more to me like a 70's distortion box sound.
I just listened today, so I don't know what you've done, but I really like the levels, the presence of the vocal is up front but not too much so for me. The panning on drums and guitars is excellent also. I liked your voice before, but this piece really showed off a quality I hadn't heard so much, just a great job.

Damn that's good, one of my favorite songs ever so maybe biased, but your vocal is insane - you have that timbre I would kill for. The drums blew me away too, great sounds. Piano, slide and bass good also. The only thing I didn't care for was the rhythm sound, especially in the intro, I always liked the pushing the amp to distort sound on that song and this sounds more to me like a 70's distortion box sound.
I just listened today, so I don't know what you've done, but I really like the levels, the presence of the vocal is up front but not too much so for me. The panning on drums and guitars is excellent also. I liked your voice before, but this piece really showed off a quality I hadn't heard so much, just a great job.

Thanx dude. Yeah, I recorded those guitars when all I had was a Peavey "Studio Pro" amp. It's not the sound it should be. :cool:

Wow, great work on a really tough track, at least where the rhythm section is concerned. And I agree with what everyone else has been saying, but with a bit of a twist: you *do* sound a lot like Jagger, but I think it comes more from the feel, the delivery, the shape of the words than the actual sound of yer voice. I mean, the sound itself is pretty freakin' close, but what really nails it is the attitude, which is what I think everyone else was getting at when they asked if you do the "chicken strut" too. Haha.

This is easily my favorite Stones album; the opening cut, "Gimme Shelter," is my all-time favorite Stones song for numerous reasons: the content is killer, lyrically-speaking; the arrangement is amazing; but what really does it for me is the absolutely masterful rhythm guitar playing on the track. That also goes for "Monkey Man." In fact, just about all of "Let It Bleed" showcases Keith Richards at the height of his rhythm mastery. He's easily my all-time favorite rhythm player; just such an unbelievably good feel & pocket.

You do a great job of nailing that feel for the most part; there's a bit of drift on the rhythm guitar part near the top, during the phrase when the drums enter, the one right before the vocals enter. I'd look into that. Also, when I think about the players on the original track, I'm really impressed with your ability to closely mimic their excellent playing & feel. Really nice work.

I think the vocals are a bit too upfront in the mix (assuming yer trying to accurately emulate the original); as you said in a response previously, all of the Stones mixes tended to bury Jagger's vocals, and for good reason, I think. He's not the best singer, per se, but his vocalization is excellent. So they put it back in the mix just a tad so the listener can still hear the lyric but isn't bombarded by his voice; I think they did this not only because of his voice but because the other musicians were just too good to be outshined by a vocal.

There are a few other very minor details I could mention but I honestly don't think it's necessary. What I would like to know is how you tracked the drums. Having seen other posts from you, I'm assuming the drums were tracked live (and not programmed). These days it can be hard to tell, but if my internal clock is correct, it sounds/feels like they're live drums tracked to a click that yer playing around, shifting the pocket forwards & backwards to suit the song/arrangement/section. Is that correct? If so, what was yer mic setup like? What was the room like? What were yer signal chains?

Wow, great work on a really tough track, at least where the rhythm section is concerned. And I agree with what everyone else has been saying, but with a bit of a twist: you *do* sound a lot like Jagger, but I think it comes more from the feel, the delivery, the shape of the words than the actual sound of yer voice. I mean, the sound itself is pretty freakin' close, but what really nails it is the attitude, which is what I think everyone else was getting at when they asked if you do the "chicken strut" too. Haha.
Thanx a lot Johny. Yeah, I think the "way" he sings is just the way I sing, regardless of whether I sound like him or not. To me, it's just a natural way to pronounce and phrase words.

This is easily my favorite Stones album; the opening cut, "Gimme Shelter," is my all-time favorite Stones song for numerous reasons
Yeah man, I've actually always wanted to cover "Gimme Shelter". If it didn't have that signature female vocal part, I would have recorded it a long time ago. But in my opinion, that part is a "either do it or don't do the song".

I think the vocals are a bit too upfront in the mix (assuming yer trying to accurately emulate the original); as you said in a response previously, all of the Stones mixes tended to bury Jagger's vocals, and for good reason, I think. He's not the best singer, per se, but his vocalization is excellent. So they put it back in the mix just a tad so the listener can still hear the lyric but isn't bombarded by his voice; I think they did this not only because of his voice but because the other musicians were just too good to be outshined by a vocal.
I agree. I'll probably bring my vocal back down a bit, the way I originally had it. I have a thing about trying to please everyone, which usually accomplishes the opposite. I should have trusted my instincts (as fucking usual) and kept them where they were.

What I would like to know is how you tracked the drums. Having seen other posts from you, I'm assuming the drums were tracked live (and not programmed). These days it can be hard to tell, but if my internal clock is correct, it sounds/feels like they're live drums tracked to a click that yer playing around, shifting the pocket forwards & backwards to suit the song/arrangement/section. Is that correct? If so, what was yer mic setup like? What was the room like? What were yer signal chains?
Thanx Johny. I actually recorded this tune about 5 years ago, in a tiny room. I can't remember the dimensions now, but it was something like 11X7 with a 6.5' ceiling. I always use just 4 mics (Kik, Snare, and overheads), and that's about it.

Thanx a lot for the listen and comments. I'll be bringing those vocals down. :cool:

Nice!! So what technique do you use for the drum overheads: a spaced stereo pair, ORTF, or XY?? Sounds to me like it's a spaced stereo pair. Do you recall which mics they were?

Nice!! So what technique do you use for the drum overheads: a spaced stereo pair, ORTF, or XY?? Sounds to me like it's a spaced stereo pair. Do you recall which mics they were?
At the time, I was using a Hybrid Glyn Johns/Recoderman set up. I had one overhead directly above the snare, pointing straight down, literally. The other overhead, was between my body and the floor tom, also pointing at the snare. Both mics the same exact measured distance from the snare.

My mics were:

2X AKG C1000s (overheads)
1X SM57 (snare)
1X akg D-112 (kik)

Nice. I use a similar technique when tracking drums using only a few mics; the equidistant thing is KEY. Otherwise there are nasty phase issues that just destroy any semblance of tone or sound.

I know you said this recording was half a decade ago, but do you recall how you processed which mics? I'm curious how you achieved the nice punchy kick sound without snappiness.

Nice. I use a similar technique when tracking drums using only a few mics; the equidistant thing is KEY. Otherwise there are nasty phase issues that just destroy any semblance of tone or sound.

I know you said this recording was half a decade ago, but do you recall how you processed which mics? I'm curious how you achieved the nice punchy kick sound without snappiness.
Yes, the equadistant is very important.

I recorded this 5 years ago, but I just mixed it a few weeks ago. Nothing special, EQ'd the kik and snare, nothing on the overheads, and then a compressor on the whole kit. That's about it.

Yes, the equadistant is very important.

I recorded this 5 years ago, but I just mixed it a few weeks ago. Nothing special, EQ'd the kik and snare, nothing on the overheads, and then a compressor on the whole kit. That's about it.

Wow, you must have some pretty solid engineering skills; I'm impressed. And I'm not easily impressed. Haha.

Wow, you must have some pretty solid engineering skills; I'm impressed. And I'm not easily impressed. Haha.

Honestly, I don't. I really think that if you tune a kit properly and take some time to place mics where they give you the best results, 75% of your mixing is done. The rest is just reminding yourself that you don't HAVE to do anything, and you don't HAVE to use things just because you have them.

Honestly, I don't. I really think that if you tune a kit properly and take some time to place mics where they give you the best results, 75% of your mixing is done. The rest is just reminding yourself that you don't HAVE to do anything, and you don't HAVE to use things just because you have them.

you contradict yerself, my friend. First you say you don't have solid engineering skills, and then in the very next sentence you demonstrate that you do, as tuning a kit properly and placing mics in the right spots is 90% of the battle in my mind.

you contradict yerself, my friend. First you say you don't have solid engineering skills, and then in the very next sentence you demonstrate that you do, as tuning a kit properly and placing mics in the right spots is 90% of the battle in my mind.

Hehe...Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess I meant that I'm not that technically educated. But I have decent ears and a lot of common sense. :D

Speaking of common sense....

I was sitting at a bar the other day and the bouncer came up to me and said "You're going to have to move. You're blocking the fire exit", as if I wasn't going to run if there was a fire. If you're flammable and have legs, you're NEVER blocking a fire exit. :D

Back