Doooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds real good to me. I really like the snare sound and the acoustic guitar. Tune reminds me of something George Harrison might have done. The eastern thing you know.

Seems a solid mix.

The vocals actually seemed a bit more clear and out-front I'd expect from this kind of music, actually.

This might help-

ze4pMbZN

CfT7umMy

Whoa - thanks. Those seem really close together...and it doesn't look like they're both pointed at the center of the snare?

I need to play around with that more. I have one directly above the snare pointed at the center and another way off to my right just above the floor tom also pointed at center of snare. I do this because I read it somewhere...no other reason. :o Are those Sabian cymbals?

Hey, greg said the vocals were too "thick" too - maybe I was on to something :p!

Mine aren't much different from that.

I remember reading you use a CAD pack, are your OHs from that or something different?

If there was a bit more of a brit accent, this would be the perfect Pink Floyd song. Roger Waters and David Gilmour all over this. I like the mix a lot here......could use a little more high end air and just a tad more reverb (my personal preference). Excellent production!

Hey thanks for checking it out man- yeah I thought that too, I'll probably add a little air when I do the final tweaks. Looking forward to checking out your tune. :)

Sounds real good to me. I really like the snare sound and the acoustic guitar. Tune reminds me of something George Harrison might have done. The eastern thing you know.

Cool, thanks a lot slick! Hope you had a great holiday!

Seems a solid mix.

The vocals actually seemed a bit more clear and out-front I'd expect from this kind of music, actually.

Cool, thanks VHS. When I mixed it, I was psyched to push em out there a little more but now I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the clarity I gave myself. :o

Whoa - thanks. Those seem really close together...and it doesn't look like they're both pointed at the center of the snare?

I need to play around with that more. I have one directly above the snare pointed at the center and another way off to my right just above the floor tom also pointed at center of snare. I do this because I read it somewhere...no other reason. :o Are those Sabian cymbals?

Hey, greg said the vocals were too "thick" too - maybe I was on to something :p!

Yeah, they're both pointed straight down at the kit, but the capsules are still equidistant from the snare. I gave up on having that right mic pointing at the snare because it wasn't getting the cymbals and that side of the kit the way I wanted. Yeah the ride's a 24" Sabian, the rest are Paistes.
There will definitely be some vocal tweaks before I put this one down...

Also - as a fellow guy who sits on an office chair while drumming, I don't feel so all alone anymore...

That's a Roc N Soc...the throne of kings!

dude, this is great....... really enjoyed it. great recording man. :D

I am now into a third listen of this song, I love it. I don't think of the vocals as to thick, I think they are gutsy and project the power of the lyrics. Others have mentioned the Floyd influence, but I also hear some Jethro Tull in there.
Great job.

Last edited:
Wow, really cool ! Kinda reminds me of Jade Warrior with the vocals/dynamics....Love when the bass and drums kick in around 2:00 or so...acoustic guitar sounds fab!!Well done, I really dug it!

Last edited:
Part of what I enjoy about these boards is the musical diversity of ideas encountered. This is a perfect illustration of that. The only thing I didn't like was the sound of the snare. Other than that, it was absolutely terrific ... and I thoroughly enjoyed the composition and arrangement.

Kev-

I am now into a third listen of this song, I love it. I don't think of the vocals as to thick, I think they are gutsy and project the power of the lyrics. Others have mentioned the Floyd influence, but I also hear some Jethro Tull in there.
Great job.

Wow, thanks a lot for listening to it and for the kind words! :D I pulled the vocals back a little anyways....not sure if I should have or if it's even noticeable. At this point I probably have to stand off it for a couple weeks but thanks again!

Wow, really cool ! Kinda reminds me of Jade Warrior with the vocals/dynamics....Love when the bass and drums kick in around 2:00 or so...acoustic guitar sounds fab!!Well done, I really dug it!

Thanks queepy- I had to look up Jade Warrior...was surprised I'd never heard of them. I love a lot of stuff from that era. Seems like it might be up my alley...definitely gonna check it out!

Part of what I enjoy about these boards is the musical diversity of ideas encountered. This is a perfect illustration of that. The only thing I didn't like was the sound of the snare. Other than that, it was absolutely terrific ... and I thoroughly enjoyed the composition and arrangement.

Kev-

Hey thanks a lot Kev! It's really awesome to hear the kind words about this one. Definitely makes me feel better about devoting most of my life to an arguably fruitless hobby... :o

I posted a new mix at the original link...pulled the vocals back a little, gave a little boost to the highs on the master mix, and did a couple other small tweaks. Now listening upstairs I'm not sure if my changes are that noticeable. I might just put it down for a couple weeks if there's nothing ridiculously wrong with it. Thanks so much for the comments everyone!!

Put it down for a couple weeks. You did great ... and when you go back? You will hear differently.

We all devote ourselves to what drives us.

There is economic profitless hobby (see: all us), but there is no fruitless hobby. If it salves a mind, it's all good. There is even non-monetary profit in that.

Until the band came it it reminded me of Wiggy's music as he has his vox in the same EQ raneg & position in relation to the backing.
My personal pref would be to pull the vox back even further as that's how I pigeon hole psych singing.
Very cool stuff.

Put it down for a couple weeks. You did great ... and when you go back? You will hear differently.

We all devote ourselves to what drives us.

There is economic profitless hobby (see: all us), but there is no fruitless hobby. If it salves a mind, it's all good. There is even non-monetary profit in that.

Agreed, thanks again Kev! :D

Until the band came it it reminded me of Wiggy's music as he has his vox in the same EQ raneg & position in relation to the backing.
My personal pref would be to pull the vox back even further as that's how I pigeon hole psych singing.
Very cool stuff.

Cool, thanks a lot ray.... but who's Wiggy?

I've listened to it twice now, very good song. Every thing sounds in place to me. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, thanks alot for checking it out and the kind words fuzz!

Huh, I guess I can see what rayc was talking about....I don't mind the comparison at all - I kinda like how his voice sits in the mix. He might be better at it though...

Back