Doooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Continuing my recent trend of breaking the unwritten rule of commenting on threads that have fallen onto page 2, I just gave this a listen. I'd seen this, but have been busy over the last couple of weeks and just assumed I'd need 15-20 minutes toset aside to listen. It delayed me giving it a listen, so I was surprised when it was wrapped up in five minutes. It sounds great, it's more tightly structured than your usual stuff and surprising to hear the vocals throughout the whole song. Your last couple of mixes sound really full and there's some nice keyboard sounds too.

Did you update the mix at all based on comments on the vocals? It's so easy to just keep updating the link on dropbox, so I wasn't sure what version I was hearing. Either way, whatever version it is sounds done to me. I personally wouldn't change much :)

Thanks Chili! Yeah, really I kinda rely on doubling/effects to make my voice listenable to me. I love writing and arranging but I'm no singer and tracking vocals is usually my least favorite part of the whole shebang

I know exactly what you mean. I reckon about 90% of the agonising and cussing during my own recording comes from the recording and mixing of the vocals. If I wasn't such a control freak I'd think about getting someone else to sing my stuff for an easier hobby...

Your comment on doubling vocals remind me of an interview I once read with Elliott Smith. He said the same about how he always doubled his vocals because it made him sound less like himself. In his write up. In his write up, the interviewer made this big thing about it, saying how it was spooky and indicative of this great fragility/sadness that Eliott had that he couldn't even bear to hear himself. I thought he completely missed the point though - just purely on a musical level it can be really difficult getting comfortable with the sound of your own voice and doubling, effects etc are a great way of removing that wince factor.

Of course, he then went on to stab himself so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and projecting my own insecurities on to someone who already had enough to begin with...

Last edited:
Continuing my recent trend of breaking the unwritten rule of commenting on threads that have fallen onto page 2, I just gave this a listen. I'd seen this, but have been busy over the last couple of weeks and just assumed I'd need 15-20 minutes to set aside to listen. It delayed me giving it a listen, so I was surprised when it was wrapped up in five minutes. It sounds great, it's more tightly structured than your usual stuff and surprising to hear the vocals throughout the whole song. Your last couple of mixes sound really full and there's some nice keyboard sounds too.

Did you update the mix at all based on comments on the vocals? It's so easy to just keep updating the link on dropbox, so I wasn't sure what version I was hearing. Either way, whatever version it is sounds done to me. I personally wouldn't change much :)

Hey rob! Thanks for checking it out and pulling it back from no-man's-land! Whew, thought I was a goner. Yeah the original link is the most recent mix as I've been working on other stuff, but I might go back in a few weeks and mess with the vocals some more, they still kinda bug me. Not in too much of a hurry I guess..

... I reckon about 90% of the agonising and cussing during my own recording comes from the recording and mixing of the vocals. If I wasn't such a control freak I'd think about getting someone else to sing my stuff for an easier hobby...

Haha, I've thought about that so many times. I think it's often just impossible to convey your ideas to other people. That was always a big problem with me writing original material in band situations...my first couple bands when I was a kid had singers but I'd write the words to go with the music and it drove me up the wall when they couldn't sing the right words at the right time...damn other people and their different ideas! And then people's feelings get hurt, they feel like they don't have a say. Yeah, screw bands. I'm happier doing everything myself but sometimes feel like I'm at war with that mic. I've heard that Elliott Smith quote before and even thought to myself "I guess it's ok...Elliott Smith does that too." which led to "maybe no one likes the sound of their own voice" which led to "but that still doesn't mean some folks shouldn't sing...." so it was all basically a wash. :)

The Foo Fighters rock right?? ...Yeah the Foo Fighters rock!! They are like, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!
And Audioslave is cool, right? ....Hell YEAH!!!!! Tom Morello like INVENTED ROCK MUSIC!!!!!!!!
Now sit down, take a deep breath....and imagine what it would sound like if you CROSSED THE FOO FIGHTERS AND AUDIOSLAVE!!!
Got it??
Good- here's something that sounds nothing like that.

Lady Of The Valley

Cool tune. I love that retro shit. You been listening to Kula Shaker? Me, I think the vocal needs to be way more upfront. It sounds like you've put verb on it that's pushing it back, but it's gentle and it's the star of the show, so it should be way more upfront. Put a small room verb on it or try a large room verb with a short tail or maybe use delay instead of verb. Nice tune, nice tune. It moves well, and I love lines like 'moved by unseen forces'. Aren't we all?

Oh yeah, the organ swell at the end is a bit too loud, and I think you could tweak the automation so that it swelled more sexily.

Hey fat-fleet. Loved this, especially when the snare came in. It all works so well together, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for posting (and for bumping, everyone else, so I had chance to get to it eventually)!

I don't have much to say about the mix - I think you could thin the vocal a little and it would still sound great, your voice is good.

Cool tune. I love that retro shit. You been listening to Kula Shaker? Me, I think the vocal needs to be way more upfront. It sounds like you've put verb on it that's pushing it back, but it's gentle and it's the star of the show, so it should be way more upfront. Put a small room verb on it or try a large room verb with a short tail or maybe use delay instead of verb. Nice tune, nice tune. It moves well, and I love lines like 'moved by unseen forces'. Aren't we all?

Oh yeah, the organ swell at the end is a bit too loud, and I think you could tweak the automation so that it swelled more sexily.

Hey dobro, thanks a bunch! Kula Shaker has been on my must-check-out list for a few years, as I like a few of those britpoppy 90s bands...really the last few years I haven't been listening to much past 1980 though...I chatted with you and stainless about this on RP a long time ago when I breezed through there briefly. Yeah the vocals on this are the biggest issue. They were actually louder before and I pulled them back in response to comments I got here- not too much, but it was the difference between too loud and too quiet...I think they need to cut through better, have more presence or bite. I'm working on something else right now and getting some decent bite on my vocals by running a restricted EQ and tube drive on a parallel track and mixing it in...I think I'm gonna come back and try that here too. That organ at the end isn't automated- that's me riding the master gain in real time...kinda harder to tweak...but I kinda like it how it is anyways. :o

Hey fat-fleet. Loved this, especially when the snare came in. It all works so well together, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for posting (and for bumping, everyone else, so I had chance to get to it eventually)!

I don't have much to say about the mix - I think you could thin the vocal a little and it would still sound great, your voice is good.

Hey thanks jonny! Yeah, that seems to be the consensus is do something with the vocal and, as I was saying up there ^ somewhere, it'll probably be some creative EQing. I guess I'm kinda trying to stand off this one for a couple weeks and approach it with fresh ears. Thanks for checking it out mang.

I really like the little build at 2.45.
I have quite a large collection of psych & this'll be going in when your done tweaking if you don't mind.

The Foo Fighters rock right?? ...Yeah the Foo Fighters rock!! They are like, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!
And Audioslave is cool, right? ....Hell YEAH!!!!! Tom Morello like INVENTED ROCK MUSIC!!!!!!!!
Now sit down, take a deep breath....and imagine what it would sound like if you CROSSED THE FOO FIGHTERS AND AUDIOSLAVE!!!
Got it??
Good- here's something that sounds nothing like that.

Dunno, I never heard them. But this one sounds relaxed. It opens up later on too. After a build. Nice arrangement. Lazy.

Thanks for posting (and for bumping, everyone else, so I had chance to get to it eventually)!

I'm a bit late too...but wanted to say, you got a nice tune going on here. I was listening to a bit of Krautrock this morning, then I chanced upon your song, so had a few listens. I thought it followed on quite nicely from Can & Faust. It's got a really ambient feel, I dig it.

I'm a bit late too...but wanted to say, you got a nice tune going on here. I was listening to a bit of Krautrock this morning, then I chanced upon your song, so had a few listens. I thought it followed on quite nicely from Can & Faust. It's got a really ambient feel, I dig it.

Sheesh, those are flattering comparisons for me because I'm really into kraut-psych. Kind of unexpected to see this thread bouncing around up here after so many months, but the listens and comments always feel good. Thanks ftg! :D

Back