Doooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
The Foo Fighters rock right?? ...Yeah the Foo Fighters rock!! They are like, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!
And Audioslave is cool, right? ....Hell YEAH!!!!! Tom Morello like INVENTED ROCK MUSIC!!!!!!!!
Now sit down, take a deep breath....and imagine what it would sound like if you CROSSED THE FOO FIGHTERS AND AUDIOSLAVE!!!
Got it??
Good- here's something that sounds nothing like that.

Lady Of The Valley

Is that Heat singing ?!?!?!

The Foo Fighters rock right?? ...Yeah the Foo Fighters rock!! They are like, THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!
And Audioslave is cool, right? ....Hell YEAH!!!!! Tom Morello like INVENTED ROCK MUSIC!!!!!!!!
Now sit down, take a deep breath....and imagine what it would sound like if you CROSSED THE FOO FIGHTERS AND AUDIOSLAVE!!!
Got it??
Good- here's something that sounds nothing like that.

Lady Of The Valley

I'm confused, but I like the Foo Fighters.

Don't worry, I didn't the whole post all the way through, either. :rolleyes:

I like everything except the doubled vocals in the beginning, but i have never been a fan of doubled vocals.

One thing I really like with your stuff is the amount of attention to detail you put into the arrangement. Always lots of changes and new things that keep the listener engaged. So important.
Cool mang...

Is that Heat singing ?!?!?!

lol - no, that is not me :).

dooooood, I really like this. Your recordings are sounding better and better. Fuller, more clarity, etc.

This song is actually a lot more concise than most, which is kind of nice for a change of pace. It's a really nice arrangement with plenty to keep the listener engaged.

Mix-wise, I would try to add a little air to the main vocal part so it isn't so thick(?) sounding. Also, while I like the high vocal part, I think it could come down a little in relation to the main vocal line(s). That's all more a personal taste thing though I think.

I love the way your cymbals come out every time. What do you have for cymbals and what do you use for overheads?

What - you think I'm nuts heat? (dont answer)

I liked the track overall - I wasn't a fan of the drums when they first kicked in, but then @ the half way mark the pattern/vibe switched up, and it seemed like the snare sound totally changed and I *really* liked them. They were shuffling and rolling kinda like the trail out of strawberry fields......

dooooood, I really like this. Your recordings are sounding better and better. Fuller, more clarity, etc.

This song is actually a lot more concise than most, which is kind of nice for a change of pace. It's a really nice arrangement with plenty to keep the listener engaged.

Mix-wise, I would try to add a little air to the main vocal part so it isn't so thick(?) sounding. Also, while I like the high vocal part, I think it could come down a little in relation to the main vocal line(s). That's all more a personal taste thing though I think.

I love the way your cymbals come out every time. What do you have for cymbals and what do you use for overheads?

Don't worry, I didn't the whole post all the way through, either. :rolleyes:

I like everything except the doubled vocals in the beginning, but i have never been a fan of doubled vocals.

One thing I really like with your stuff is the amount of attention to detail you put into the arrangement. Always lots of changes and new things that keep the listener engaged. So important.
Cool mang...

Thanks Chili! Yeah, really I kinda rely on doubling/effects to make my voice listenable to me. I love writing and arranging but I'm no singer and tracking vocals is usually my least favorite part of the whole shebang.

Thanks Pete! I wasn't sure if everything was fitting into the mix...this one actually ran over 35 tracks including a few stereo submixes. I did numerous passes trying to find things to cut/bring down in different places and this is as spare as I could get it without losing parts I really liked. I agree about the low/main vox being kind of thick. It might be proximity effect as my vocals can be thin sometimes so I got pretty close to the mic for this one. Do you think that's fixable with EQ? I had already hi-passed em around 100.

My overheads are Rode M3s and I have them kind of like recorderman but the "over the shoulder" mic is more in line with the snare side and over the floor tom and ride cymbal facing straight down. The capsules are still measured out from the snare but I don't measure from the kick, I just rely on the close mic for kick sound, it easily masks any kick drum that makes it to the OHs.

What - you think I'm nuts heat? (dont answer)

I liked the track overall - I wasn't a fan of the drums when they first kicked in, but then @ the half way mark the pattern/vibe switched up, and it seemed like the snare sound totally changed and I *really* liked them. They were shuffling and rolling kinda like the trail out of strawberry fields......

Yeah, before that point I'm doing that thing where you click the stick against the snare rim.... it's supposed to be "mellow". :p
Thanks a lot for checking it out though man, glad you liked!

Do you think that's fixable with EQ? I had already hi-passed em around 100.

My overheads are Rode M3s and I have them kind of like recorderman but the "over the shoulder" mic is more in line with the snare side and over the floor tom and ride cymbal facing straight down. The capsules are still measured out from the snare but I don't measure from the kick, I just rely on the close mic for kick sound, it easily masks any kick drum that makes it to the OHs.

I'm not sure what the raw track(s) sound like, so hard to say, but I don't know that it needs fixing, and maybe thick isn't the right word, but I would want them a little brighter sounding maybe with a little bit of a bite to them...I think you tend to process your vocals a little on the mellower side though in general, whereas I tend to favor a slightly harsher sound, so...it could just be me. But yeah, I think it might sound beter with some selective EQ.

Thanks for the OH info. I can't quite picture the setup, but am going to google those mics...

Do you have something triggered by the snare? Something sounds weird to me with each snare hit. Like there's something layered with it. It's only noticeable in the second half of the song when you're actually playing the snare. I don't like the hippy-dippy sounding layered vocals, but they fit the style. The rest sounds pretty good to me.

Do you have something triggered by the snare? Something sounds weird to me with each snare hit. Like there's something layered with it. It's only noticeable in the second half of the song when you're actually playing the snare.

There's a percussive track going off there with tambourine and guitar "chicks" (hitting dead strings). I like big ensembles (6 or more band members) and I've been into trying to replicate that sound lately.

I don't like the hippy-dippy sounding layered vocals, but they fit the style. The rest sounds pretty good to me.

Yay!! A partially reluctant "pretty good" from Greg!! I HAVE ARRIVED!

Lol. It's not reluctant at all. It's good. I'd like the vocals a little less thick and loud, but the rest is real good......and it's not 18 f---ing minutes long. That was a nice bonus. :D

I can't quite picture the setup,

This might help-

ze4pMbZN

CfT7umMy

Lol. It's not reluctant at all. It's good. I'd like the vocals a little less thick and loud, but the rest is real good......and it's not 18 f---ing minutes long. That was a nice bonus. :D

Cool, thanks man. I guess the vocals do need some tweaking...

If there was a bit more of a brit accent, this would be the perfect Pink Floyd song. Roger Waters and David Gilmour all over this. I like the mix a lot here......could use a little more high end air and just a tad more reverb (my personal preference). Excellent production!

Back