Poll About Cracked Software

Have you ever used pirated software even once by accident?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Ban Me

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Well they banned FoulPhil for 3 months for admitting to using cracked software. Let's see how they handle it when it's one of the mic forum darlings.
Well, I also informed Adobe of my intention to use cracked versions of their software (that I originally paid for), and they didn't seem too worried about it. If my honesty gets me banned from here, it's no big deal. And at 74, I ain't nobody's "darling."

Well, I also informed Adobe of my intention to use cracked versions of their software (that I originally paid for), and they didn't seem too worried about it. If my honesty gets me banned from here, it's no big deal. And at 74, I ain't nobody's "darling."

They wouldn't dare ban you. :laughings: :laughings:

I don't know what has happened in the past but the way I see it admitting to using cracked software or illegal downloads and all that good stuff is no grounds for banning. I am not the moral police here and I think almost everyone at some point has committed such offense in one way or another.

However, actively advocating it or posting links to torrents, torrents sites, guide as to how-to-crack etc. is a whole different story.

hi chater

1280829721_backflip-headslide.gif

I don't know what has happened in the past .

Yes you do. You and I exchanged several PM's about FoulPhil's banning over this very topic. I asked you repeatedly to lift or at least shorten his ban because it was heavy-handed and unwarranted when a simple warning would have sufficed. He even apologized. You refused. Unless your memory is very bad, you know very well what happened in the past and this is all a charade because you wouldn't dare ban the Golden Geezer of HR - Harvey Gerst - for doing the exact same thing in which you banned FoulPhil for 3 un-negotiable months.

I voted Yes, but I should explain why:

I was an original purchaser of Paint Shop Pro, CoolEdit, and PageMaker. Over the years I upgraded and replaced my computer (and software) several times, and often had to reinstall my software. Usually, no problems, but when Adobe bought these companies, they decided not to continue support for older versions. I had paid for all these products but my storage was pretty bad. Since I had just purchased only the download versions, I lost them, and Adobe wouldn't support any replacements. Even my old registration passwords didn't work when I tried to reload them onto a new computer.

I finally bought a used copy of Pagemaker on Ebay, and I'm using cracked versions of CE 2000 and Paint Shop Pro - to replace the exact versions I paid for (and couldn't reinstall) on my new computer.

So, yes, I have cracked software on my computer, and no, I don't feel bad about it.

Surprisingly Harvey this same issue was brought up in the last TapeOP mag. on the last page article named "Bad Investments" by Larry Crane.
Between by outs and computer/software upgrade (pro tools9 being the worst) thousands of dollars in plug-ins are lost.

@ greg- this is not the thread to discuss FoulPhil's ban as there were other circumstances at play. If you'd like to pick this up we can discuss this privately.

@ greg- this is not the thread to discuss FoulPhil's ban as there were other circumstances at play. If you'd like to pick this up we can discuss this privately.

I don't want to discuss FP's banning. That's in the past. But which is it? You knew about it, or you didn't.

I'd bet the majority of the folks on this site are using something stolen off the net. I can't even count how many threads and questions there have been from guys with $50k worth of software and not a clue as to how to use it. It's only fair that people know where they stand and what they can talk about. Why can Harvey openly admit to stealing software but no one else can?

Harvey is not the only one admitting to 'stealing' software if you look at the poll results. Teh OP of this poll is baiting people to admit stealing software. My feeling is, if you can afford it, pay for it. If you can't, use open source. It's not Cubase 6 that will make your music sound great...

I am no programmer, but I believe software developers have ways to prevent cracking their software if they really want to- like blizzard entertainment with Star Craft 2. But somehow they on purpose (this is my theory) leave the door a bit cracked open to promote the distribution of their software, even illegally, such as to widen their audience cause competition is so fierce in this field.

Maybe 10 years ago I used cracked software. Now I can't be bothered with either buying it or cracking it when good open source alternatives available. Viva la revolution!

No need to go for that kind of ilicit things when you have great free software available like Audacity or even Acid Express 7 which works very well for home recording and amateur to middle professional DAW

Back