Poll About Cracked Software

Have you ever used pirated software even once by accident?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Ban Me

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Why can Harvey openly admit to stealing software but no one else can?
I originally paid for that software and couldn't reinstall it after I got a new computer. I owned the software and couldn't use it. I explained the problem to the new companies that bought the rights to the software, and they couldn't help me restore the programs that I paid for. I didn't "steal" newer versions of the programs - only the original version that I paid for.

In the case of CoolEdit, I "stole" CE2000 - which I owned originally. I'm a registered owner of Audition 3.0.1.

In the case of PaintShopPro, I've bought every version thru 8.0, but I prefer using PSP 3.0. My original (paid for) copy of 3.0 wouldn't load on my new computer, so, yes I "stole" a copy that would work.

I tried the demo version of the new PageMaker, but I preferred my original PM6.5 (which I had upgraded legally from 4.0, which I also purchsed new). I found the original box and serial numbers, but the disks are probably somewhere around here. Adobe verified that I did indeed own 6.5 but they couldn't replace the disks. I bought an official (but used) PageMaker 6.5 on eBay, and registered it with Adobe and they accepted it - problem solved.

Now, if I'm "guilty" of using cracked copies of software that I paid for, so be it. If that's cause for banning me here, go ahead and ban my ass. Too bad if you've got a problem with it, Greg. Feel free to write to these companies and tell them I'm using "stolen programs." Greg, I've always enjoyed your posts, and the help you give people, but your crusade against me is getting a bit weary. Give it a rest.

Now, if I'm "guilty" of using cracked copies of software that I paid for, so be it. If that's cause for banning me here, go ahead and ban my ass. Too bad if you've got a problem with it, Greg. Feel free to write to these companies and tell them I'm using "stolen programs." Greg, I've always enjoyed your posts, and the help you give people, but your crusade against me is getting a bit weary. Give it a rest.

Calm down, pops. I don't want you banned. I didn't want FoulPhil banned either, but he got it anyway for doing the same thing you did. I personally don't care who uses stolen software. This isn't about you specifically. I'm just using you as an example of the inconsistency and favoritism being portrayed here. They wouldn't ban you, but they'll probably ban me for bringing this up.. :D

I didn't want FoulPhil banned either, but he got it anyway for doing the same thing you did. I'm just using you as an example of the inconsistency and favoritism being portrayed here. They wouldn't ban you, but they'll probably ban me for bringing this up.
Well I don't know FoulPhil's situation, but before I searched for "cracked software, I first called all the software companies involved, explained my problem, and what I intended to do.

None of the companies had a problem with my solution, since they no longer offered any support for these versions, and they did have records of me on file as an authorized purchaser of these programs.

One Sunday morning not long ago, I decided I wanted to experiment with Vocaloid software after I got an email from Zero G offering one of the voices on sale. I went on-line, paid for it, downloaded it, installed it and, when I tried to install it, was asked for product key. I checked my confirmation email -- no key. Went on-line and checked my account at Zero G -- no key. Somewhere -- in the FAQ, I think -- I found that, after purchase, they email the key to you. Checked my spam folder -- no key.

As I paid for a license to use the software (not the software itself -- when you buy commercial software, you are actually purchasing a license), I felt justified in downloading and using a cracked version. My key came in an email the next day. Not a great business model -- pay now, use tomorrow.

No one should admit to downloading and using pirated software, that's crazy! It's like telling everyone you mas*ted at work, by accident. Hope I'm allowed to say that, or else I will set a record and get banned after only 1 short (but sweet) week on this forum. :D

Last edited:
One Sunday morning not long ago, I decided I wanted to experiment with Vocaloid software after I got an email from Zero G offering one of the voices on sale. I went on-line, paid for it, downloaded it, installed it and, when I tried to install it, was asked for product key. I checked my confirmation email -- no key. Went on-line and checked my account at Zero G -- no key. Somewhere -- in the FAQ, I think -- I found that, after purchase, they email the key to you. Checked my spam folder -- no key.

As I paid for a license to use the software (not the software itself -- when you buy commercial software, you are actually purchasing a license), I felt justified in downloading and using a cracked version. My key came in an email the next day. Not a great business model -- pay now, use tomorrow.

I had this experience with J-Bridge... you pay, 24 hours later you get a key to download, as the guy only checks his emails once a day. No biggie in the end. Never thought of looking for a cracked version... wouldn't have anyway. Plus it was like $20...

Yep.

It was more along the lines of someone showing me a daw though. It was logic pro when they were using a dongle so it was technically not cracked as the licence we were using on my machine was legit and I couldn't use it when he left.

I didn't like it (obviously).

There is just to much cheap or student discounted stuff to bother doing the crack thing.

I may be just as annoying to software sellers. I buy a version and hang onto it unless I find I have a really compelling reason to buy a newer version. I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2 and use Soundforge 8 for doing tweaks on tracks. There are still many things in both apps I've never explored. What can I say it meets my needs.

The very first recording app I used was Digital Orchestrator by Voyetra. It supposedly will run on Win 3.1 though 98 was the first Windows OS I used. Just for grins I tried loading it into XP and it appears to work perfectly fine without having to use compatibility mode. Voyetra/Turtle Beach got out of that arena though.

I may be just as annoying to software sellers. I buy a version and hang onto it unless I find I have a really compelling reason to buy a newer version. I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2 and use Soundforge 8 for doing tweaks on tracks. There are still many things in both apps I've never explored. What can I say it meets my needs.

The very first recording app I used was Digital Orchestrator by Voyetra. It supposedly will run on Win 3.1 though 98 was the first Windows OS I used. Just for grins I tried loading it into XP and it appears to work perfectly fine without having to use compatibility mode. Voyetra/Turtle Beach got out of that arena though.

I personally skip every other version with exception of pro tools. I was pretty put out with their upgrade costs and I don't use it enough to get out of version 8. But with cubase it's the same cost going from 5 to 7 as it is going from 6 to 7. I got 6.5 on a discount from 5, but it was in the grace period for 7 so I upgraded to 7 for free.

I was purchasing weed one day and this guy said *you want some bootleg software to go with your chronic*?
And I said ------- NO WAY that sh!t is illegal!

And the green dispensing Rastafarian said *Jah Mon you are a smart mon*.

I'll take those words of wisdom to my grave!!!!

:o <------------ our only stoned looking smiley Mon.
No way! I also went to buy some weed at the same spot, but instead I robbed him! Feels great to get free weed doesn't it? Life is good!

All thread I know I
Know.

Back