Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Finished another chunk of absurdist synth zonk stuff, at long last. This was all mixed and edited in January but it took this long to get it pressed. It's the first material of my own that has been done on 16-track:
Slugbug "Stupid Rock" EP

Ah, yes. I was tempted to post that here even though it's not mine.
I really like 0xbaadf00d, hoping the EPs will arrive soon. It was tempting to order all three colours, but in the end I figured "one to play, one to keep mint".

One thing I noticed was that it was mixed on an MX5050 - I guess that means the MTR-10 is still out to lunch?

MTR-10 is in fine operating condition (the scrape idler was fixed.) I moved it to my friend/coworker's studio to cut lacquer masters for another project, and it was still tied up (waiting for test pressings) by the time I had to do some more mixes, so I obtained that MX5050. The W&F on that transport is definitely not quite as good as the MTR10, but I don't really think I'd be able to tell the difference between the two when recording music.

They have arrived safely. Looks like they've been selling pretty well, which is nice. What is the schematic on the inner cover taken from?
EDIT: Oh cute, a locked groove.

Last edited:
Yeah...even the one in the MP3 Clinic...it looks to me like you have a good amount of room to work with.
I'm not talking about any processing to make it louder...just considering the amount of headroom you have available raise it overall.

Yeah...even the one in the MP3 Clinic...it looks to me like you have a good amount of room to work with.
I'm not talking about any processing to make it louder...just considering the amount of headroom you have available raise it overall.

I dont quite understand. The clinic tune was something like -3. Not too far off from zero and clipping. Can't see bringing it up more without limiting.
The analog was a bit lower for sure.

Postpartum Paranoia

I just finished fixing up a Tascam 244 and wanted to make sure all the channels worked. its mixed down through the computer sound card with Audacity.

Really like this one doc. Had just been checking you soundcloud lamenting that it had been months since your last track when this popped up! That lead tone is delicious.

Drums captured with one mic, or submixed down to one track, or...?

Forgetting the tonal palette that you tend to use (which I love btw), you always seem to get everything integrated nicely and there's a great sense of depth and space. Cool.

Really like this one doc. Had just been checking you soundcloud lamenting that it had been months since your last track when this popped up! That lead tone is delicious.

Drums captured with one mic, or submixed down to one track, or...?

Forgetting the tonal palette that you tend to use (which I love btw), you always seem to get everything integrated nicely and there's a great sense of depth and space. Cool.

Thanks!
Drums are overhead mic over the snare and a mic on the kick (but barely audible) & one room mic tracked to another track (and then submixed with the bass) to simulate bleed. :e
I'm trying to archive some sort of 3-D depth/space :e

Love it. It takes me back to simpler times. Pre- internet, pre- cell phones, to a time when you just walked down the street to Woolworrths and stepped up to the counter and got a shake.
:D
Thanks!
I only lived through the 80s and 90s, but those were simpler times too

Back