Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Despite the fact that I record analog I've never posted anything here. Well here you go.

3 piece rock band. Me on guitars, bknd vocs, Bass player on bass and lead vocals, and drummer on skins and heinekin. :D

Recorded the basic band live, overdubbed some guitar parts and lead vocal and Bknd Vocs.

Tascam MSR16 and M520 Board was used

EDIT: track fixed and re-uploaded

Last edited:
Demo of my Simmons SDSV drums thru Tascam 388

Thought I'd share this here, as it's somewhat relevant.

Recorded stereo out from the unit into the Tascam, patched into the DBX 164 compressor and then bounced to a Logic. Passed through a BBE 422 on the way to Logic to help bring back some high-end.

Hey RFR,

Some awesome guitar tones going on here....what's the setup guitar wise?

Can't really feel the tape compression with the MP3 compression / computer speakers but sounds rocking. Well done.
Al

Thanks Al.
Yeah, soundcloud/mp3 stuff sucks.
All the guitars were tracked with a silverface fender champ. It was set up in the tracking room and I played in the control room off of the mains. For feedback, I just got closer to the mains and cranked it up. :D

New song recorded two days ago by my new band Electric Scar. Speaks volumes about Lennys voice and songwriting that it sounds great despite my lack of drumming skills :D This time we're messing around with a gospel feeling.

That was fun. What was the recording made on?

I think the one thing that didn't quite gel for me was how the main vocals had this fuzzy distant sound to them, while the backing vocals sounded cleaner and crisper, which didn't quite match. I'm assuming that wasn't a deliberate decision, of course.

Yeah, you're right JP - the same thing occured to me. We're working very much in the heat of the moment. The lead vocal was recorded with a B&O BM5 ribbon mic up close with a AKG Perception 100 behind Lenny on the concrete corridor for some natural reverb.
The backing vocals was done without the reverb chamber/corridor thing and I'll mess around with playing those to a mic on the coridor to make a proper match. I guess we'll ask a female singer to do some backing vox too. On second thought I shouln't have used the AKG Perception on the backing vocals. Either way we'll get it sorted for the final mix, promise.

It's the Fostex G16C as always. I love that machine and will stick to it till the day I can afford a Otari, MCI or Lyrec 2".

That was fun. What was the recording made on?

I think the one thing that didn't quite gel for me was how the main vocals had this fuzzy distant sound to them, while the backing vocals sounded cleaner and crisper, which didn't quite match. I'm assuming that wasn't a deliberate decision, of course.

The backing vocals was done without the reverb chamber/corridor thing and I'll mess around with playing those to a mic on the coridor to make a proper match. I guess we'll ask a female singer to do some backing vox too. On second thought I shouln't have used the AKG Perception on the backing vocals. Either way we'll get it sorted for the final mix, promise.

I was thinking some low-pass filtering and reverb, but yes, if you can re-amp it in the same place you did the original recording, that would work well.

Here's a song I wrote and just finished recording. On the Tascam 388 as always :)
A little messy in spots.

Really great stuff Jason. I swear if you had come out with this shit in 1994, you'd be a star! And I don't mean to say it doesn't have any value today or anything --- good music is good music. But man ... your sound really reminds me of the 90s a lot.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great guitar tones, great vocals, and great drum sounds. Everything is super nice. I really enjoyed the listen.

Thanks Al.
Yeah, soundcloud/mp3 stuff sucks.
All the guitars were tracked with a silverface fender champ. It was set up in the tracking room and I played in the control room off of the mains. For feedback, I just got closer to the mains and cranked it up. :D

Yeah good stuff! Humble Pie immediately came to mind for me. :)

Actually that was a 74 champ. The guitar was your basic Strat. I love a strat with a Champ. Overdrives it just enough, whereas I've always found humbuckers push it into that 'Neil Young, your amp is about to blow up' tone. :D Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad tone, but I do like the ability to roll off my volume and get a sparkly clean sound.

@ warm jet guitar, thanks for the comments. :D
Cool song you got there. I kind of dig the vocals just as they are. Sounds like it was done that way on purpose. Don't know if it was, but sounds that way.

@ jason. Bitchin tune. :thumbs up:

@ famous beagle. Thanks man. Humble pie, eh? I don't hear it, but then again I don't know what the hell my music sounds like. It's just my music. :)

But, I do have deep musical ties to the pie as an influence, so I guess some of that could come out.
I can only say thanks. If it makes you think of them, thats a high honor in my world.
:D

Last edited:
Really great stuff Jason. I swear if you had come out with this shit in 1994, you'd be a star! And I don't mean to say it doesn't have any value today or anything --- good music is good music. But man ... your sound really reminds me of the 90s a lot.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great guitar tones, great vocals, and great drum sounds. Everything is super nice. I really enjoyed the listen.

Hey. Thanks man! Appreciate it. I kinda still wish it was 1994. Fun times back then :)

Back