Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

I agree.
But in that one video with the CD release, I just want to know what the hell happened to those NS 10s?? What the hell are those tweets??

They're Studiospare SN10s, not original NS10s. They look similar but not quite the same.

Ughh!!!!
Here is another one of my noisey sloppy composistions recorded on my Tascam 388. Im not too happy about how this one turned out. And Im too lazy right now to redo it....

Ughh!!!!
Here is another one of my noisey sloppy composistions recorded on my Tascam 388. Im not too happy about how this one turned out. And Im too lazy right now to redo it....

Sounds cool on the laptop. But then again I have Tape bias syndrome.:D

(no pun intended)

I use 2 mics. An SM58 positioned overhead and an AKG D112 in the bass drum. I record each mic to it's own track.The SM58 is going into a ART pro MPAII pre. The AKG is using the 388 pre. Then I patch in a dBX 163x compressor on the bass drum upon playback and I also patch in a FMR RNLA on the overhead upon playback. I get everything set right and then I bounce those 2 tracks down to 1. So it's a mono drum track. Now.... after the bounce I once more,insert the dbx 163x and a Tascam PE-40 equaliser on that mono drum track. That's it. It's a formula I came up with that works well most of the time giving me a good punchy mono drum track with just 2 simple mics.

For fun at band practice I tried old school plus. Recorded with a stereo battery powered rtr in a garage with no sound treatment. Fooled around with where to put the mics for the drum kit, then moved the cabs and the PAs to "mix". No processing (except the high pass filter on the recorder), then straight into a laptop on battery and uploaded. Its kind of fun to go the bare bones way once in a while...

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/216607211&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true"></iframe>

Never mind. Looks like I havent mastered embedding yet, Geez.......:(

Ughh!!!!

This rocked! I really liked it a lot. The drums sound great, as do the guitars and vocals. Great voice you have! It was reminiscent of Kurt Cobain at times -- I mean that in a good way --- but you have much more control than he did. Anyway, my only nitpick with the mix was the bass. It sounded rather undefined and hard to find. But the kick drum and snare were solid as hell. And I loved all the quirky guitar (?) noises going on in the background. Thanks for sharing!

My band has just (today) released a new album called Ballroom Dancing. It's all recorded in analogue at home using my MS16 and Studiomaster desk. I can answer any more gear questions if anyone has them :) Here's a mix we put together of it:

Enjoy :D

Very cool video and tunes!

1:43 - Holy shit! What was it like to have Elvis Costello in your studio? :)

Nice looking studio ... best of luck with you and your band!

Hey! My first contribution in this thread, here it is:
I've been recording for a few months some ideas, most of them improvizations, or not finished songs.. as always, being lazy.
Everything you hear on this release have been recorded in a Tascam 414 (not mkii, the rare one without xlr inputs), and then mixed from L-R output straight to a tascam dp008 to get digital wave files, required to upload in bandcamp

https://interpretedesconocido.bandcamp.com/album/im-lovin-it

Enjoy your meal

Hey! My first contribution in this thread, here it is:
I've been recording for a few months some ideas, most of them improvizations, or not finished songs.. as always, being lazy.
Everything you hear on this release have been recorded in a Tascam 414 (not mkii, the rare one without xlr inputs), and then mixed from L-R output straight to a tascam dp008 to get digital wave files, required to upload in bandcamp

https://interpretedesconocido.bandcamp.com/album/im-lovin-it

Enjoy your meal

This is some really cool stuff! :thumbs up: I really dig the grooves and sounds a lot. Is it all drum machines or are there some live drums as well (some of them really sound live)?

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. :)

Do you have the noise reduction turned off on your 414? Just wondering, because there was a fair amount of hiss on these recordings, and I don't remember having that issue on my 414.

This is some really cool stuff! :thumbs up: I really dig the grooves and sounds a lot. Is it all drum machines or are there some live drums as well (some of them really sound live)?

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. :)

Do you have the noise reduction turned off on your 414? Just wondering, because there was a fair amount of hiss on these recordings, and I don't remember having that issue on my 414.

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it :)
the drums/percussion on tracks 3 and 5 are purely live..the rest are all drum machine, but you can still find some live percussion like the cabasa on track 2 ("sh-shk" sound like)..
And yes, I do have the noise reduction turned off.. I think I didn't find the right way of using it...but, I still like this hiss sound. It has something.
The truth is that when I activate the noise reduction, the sound becomes really bassy and loses a lot of mids and highs freqs... maybe I just don't know how to set it right to record with the dbx on.

Thanks again man ^_^

This was fun, except for the bit where I armed the wrong track during one of the TSR-8 transfers, or when the MX80's remote control popped its internal fuse for no obvious reason.

I give you Dreamkeepers, a song based on the graphic novel series. Hence, the video is a mixture of stills from the comics and shots of the recording process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8PPrMG3qA

The 24-track has had its meters converted to LED lighting, and because the meters are running off AC they flicker around 25 Hz. This isn't normally a problem unless you're right in front of the machine, but it does upset the video camera at higher resolutions, hence I had to shoot in 640x480.

The phasing on the drums was done using a Strymon Deco, which is the only digital phaser I've found capable of doing the zero-point crossing. I don't know how it does that. It's also rather cute in that if you turn the deck 2 speed knob too rapidly it will do a good impression of the tape snagging slightly as the tension readjusts. I've disabled the tape saturation effect though.

Just showing off my new Sony TC-530 reel to reel. This is just a new song idea of mine in the works (my wife is singing harmony). I have the deck downstairs in the music room (my studio is upstairs) so the whole family can enjoy it, and I'm digging using it for recording song ideas. The sound quality is good enough to me that my wife and I will most likely record some live-to-two-track acoustic recordings.

Here's a link. The video is called "Song Idea."

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaup98o10hayb8v/AABJ7wPTQDQec100Z1Vlo6cia?dl=0

Thanks for listening. :)

This was fun, except for the bit where I armed the wrong track during one of the TSR-8 transfers, or when the MX80's remote control popped its internal fuse for no obvious reason.

I give you Dreamkeepers, a song based on the graphic novel series. Hence, the video is a mixture of stills from the comics and shots of the recording process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8PPrMG3qA

The 24-track has had its meters converted to LED lighting, and because the meters are running off AC they flicker around 25 Hz. This isn't normally a problem unless you're right in front of the machine, but it does upset the video camera at higher resolutions, hence I had to shoot in 640x480.

The phasing on the drums was done using a Strymon Deco, which is the only digital phaser I've found capable of doing the zero-point crossing. I don't know how it does that. It's also rather cute in that if you turn the deck 2 speed knob too rapidly it will do a good impression of the tape snagging slightly as the tension readjusts. I've disabled the tape saturation effect though.

Just saw this. Cool tune and awesome video! Your collection of tape decks is droolworthy for sure! :)

Back