Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

thanks :) it was actually a shitty drum loop from logic that i ran through a moog murf onto tape.

heres a groove ive been working on recently. the guitar and bass are just scratch tracks im going to redo while adding lots of other sound candy
https://m20starcluster.bandcamp.com/track/retort-this-way

Very nice. Sounds as though it should be the soundtrack in a movie scene where everyone's doing drugs in an old house --- with the film all tinted red and lots of quick cuts, handheld camera moves, etc. :)

thanks :) it was actually a shitty drum loop from logic that i ran through a moog murf onto tape.

heres a groove ive been working on recently. the guitar and bass are just scratch tracks im going to redo while adding lots of other sound candy
https://m20starcluster.bandcamp.com/track/retort-this-way

Cool. Love the "Shaft" vibe. Good playing as well.
A tune like this you HAVE to record to tape. The right vibe only comes from doing it that way.
:D

Okay, here's my latest:

This is a song from my upcoming album, "Evil Songs for Evil People". It was the last song to be written, though it has its roots in a song I started about 5 years ago, hence it was known as '227' for quite a while.

I was in the awkward position that the song which acted as a base was obvious written to go with some lyrics but I had forgotten them and not written them into the MIDI file which the composition was filed away as. Once the composition was finished I was left with a 12.5 minute song but no words. Then I found myself saying "I am the God of Lies" after the verse, and the whole thing clicked into place. Lyrics were quickly written, based around Jake, the Trickster God from a webcomic I'm following.

I was also listening to Theo's "Game of Oroborous" album a lot while this was being written, hence the pipe organ segments.

Instruments used included:
Moog Voyager
Hammond SK-1 organ (Electric Piano, Pipe organ upper and lower manuals)
Raspberry Pi running Aeolus (bass pedals: Bombarde, Posaune etc)
Waldorf Streichfett string synthesizer
Nord MicroModular
Waldorf MicroWave mk1
Hammond XM-1
Roland MVS-1
Roland JV1010
Alesis DM10 drum brain
Manikin Memotron
Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic bass

The songs was recorded on an Otari MX80 24-track tape machine, with the bass and vocals being recorded on a TASCAM TSR-8 for its automatic punch-in capabilities and then dubbed onto the 2" machine afterwards.
Mixing was done onto a Studer A807 1/4" master recorder, in three sections which were then razorblade edited together for the final album version.

Some of the vocals were slowed down by running the TSR-8 fast during tracking.
The reverse reverb was added in the traditional manner, by flipping the tape upside-down and dubbing reverb onto a spare track.
I even made a video of that, but I keep forgetting to upload it.

Nicely done, jp! :)

I normally shy away from 12 minute plus long songs but this one carried through nicely with lots of different parts and voices to keep it moving right along!

I was listening for the edit points for any obvious clicks or ca-chunks, (due to magnetized razor blades usually) and found them very clean and seamless, so kudos there on a clean assembly.

Also really liked the church organ and many other rich voices from your keyboard collection. It gave the piece a nice classic 70's rock opera feel.

The mix overall seemed well balanced in tone as well as the various stereo representations of the varied instruments with nothing standing out as off to my ears. I did listen to this through my Sony studio cans and about all that was really lacking was a bit of authority in the bottom end as I guess I'm more conditioned to American flavored mixes which have a good bit more thump on the low end. Remembering back to many British productions in the 70's era though, there was a decided softening of the bass so perhaps its more of a culture shock deal more then anything else. Also heard a bit of hiss build up in the latter half of the piece so perhaps some tracking levels were a bit on the low side contributing to that?

Otherwise, well done and thanks for posting it! :)

Cheers! :)

Don't think I've ever posted any of my stuff in this forum before so might as well let one fly here on Christmas Eve!

Recorded on a TASCAM 38 through a TASCAM M312B mixer...

Crank it!

Don't think I've ever posted any of my stuff in this forum before so might as well let one fly here on Christmas Eve!

Recorded on a TASCAM 38 through a TASCAM M312B mixer...

Crank it!

Ahh man. That was great!
Nice tight punchy sounding track. Great tune and awesome vocals. Is that you singing Jeff?
There's something going on in the back ground during the verses that I can't quite put my finger on. It's something playing eighth notes, but it's not upfront. Synth? Or am I just hearing things. Sounds like it has quite a bit of verb on it what ever it is and mixed low. But it adds a nice pulse to the song.
Well done.

Ahh man. That was great!
Nice tight punchy sounding track. Great tune and awesome vocals. Is that you singing Jeff?
There's something going on in the back ground during the verses that I can't quite put my finger on. It's something playing eighth notes, but it's not upfront. Synth? Or am I just hearing things. Sounds like it has quite a bit of verb on it what ever it is and mixed low. But it adds a nice pulse to the song.
Well done.
Thanks and glad you liked the track! :)

Yup, that was me on all the parts. The eighth notes was a keyboard patch from a Yamaha keyboard I had at the time. Glockenspiel, if I remember correctly.

That was pretty cool. Glad to see you're more than just a pretty face:D
Oh and a wealth of knowledge, as well as gear photo documentarian.
Merry Christmas my non- Christian friend. :D

Ghost - lovely stuff.
Top mix though the regular spot where the kick & snare (maybe) hit together is a little forward & clicky.
Otherwise a great vibe and sound.

Ghost - lovely stuff.
Top mix though the regular spot where the kick & snare (maybe) hit together is a little forward & clicky.
Otherwise a great vibe and sound.

Thanks for the listen and glad you liked the song.

I'm far from being a good drummer and on most of the recordings of that era, I would lay down a basic beat from a drum machine and then via a Roland Octopad, play live drum fills to fatten up the basic beat. It was basically due to wanting to keep my neighbors happy that I went that route. We used to keep a full real drum kit around but due to paranoia over getting noise complaints, we would often settle for a first take and then try to make the best of it in the mix. As a result, I never got the required practice in to get very proficient at it and just never felt like practicing much once I got the Octopad as it just felt too clumsy to play. Probably more of an explanation then what anybody wanted to hear but there it is anyway. :D

Last edited:
Nicely done, jp! :)

I normally shy away from 12 minute plus long songs but this one carried through nicely with lots of different parts and voices to keep it moving right along!
I was listening for the edit points for any obvious clicks or ca-chunks, (due to magnetized razor blades usually) and found them very clean and seamless, so kudos there on a clean assembly.

Thanks. I think one of them was around 9:41, but to be honest, I can't quite remember. They went quite smoothly. Less so on the Jyraneth song, where I remixed a segment afterwards to get rid of some background noise - that didn't quite go together as well, but it was a much riskier edit anyway. Listening to it now it wasn't quite as obvious as I remembered.

The mix overall seemed well balanced in tone as well as the various stereo representations of the varied instruments with nothing standing out as off to my ears. I did listen to this through my Sony studio cans and about all that was really lacking was a bit of authority in the bottom end as I guess I'm more conditioned to American flavored mixes which have a good bit more thump on the low end.

It was mixed on headphones, so that's not really surprising...

Also heard a bit of hiss build up in the latter half of the piece so perhaps some tracking levels were a bit on the low side contributing to that?
If it's on one of the quieter passages that may simply be the fact that there's 24 tracks with no noise reduction. I could have been a bit more aggressive about muting unused channels but that does give an extra thing to worry about on the mix. I have noticed that the Hammond track tends to be pretty noisy - the valve circuitry in the Leslie simulator could be a lot quieter.

By the way, I just listened to your song. No helpful comments spring to mind so far, but I did enjoy it.

That was pretty cool. Glad to see you're more than just a pretty face:D
Oh and a wealth of knowledge, as well as gear photo documentarian.
Merry Christmas my non- Christian friend. :D

If that was aimed at me, I'm actually agnostic. Fact is, gods in fictional settings are always a nuisance - if you make your own, people can get uppity because it doesn't have theirs in it. On the other hand, if you did include theirs, the same people would likely be frothing and twitching over the blasphemy when said god actually appears and does something.
'Jake' comes from a pantheon created by a friend of mine as part of a swords-n-sorcery comic she writes.

Jp, that was directed at Ghost, seeing as he is Jewish and Christmas is a Christian holiday :D

I did listen to your stuff as well. Not sure if I commented or not, but I've listened to all your tunes you've posted and enjoyed them.
:thumbs up:

Back