Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Here's another song that I wrote and recorded on the Tascam 388. This ones kinda all over the place.
And it's my first time recording and playing trumpet. Or at least try to play :)

Thanks Warmjet....
Thats the vibe I was going for with that riff. Rebel Rebel is one of my favorite riffs of all time.

Just checked out your stuff.Really cool! and spacey. Nice sounding recordings too.

Very nice, I simply love your recordings. You really captura a fantastic vibe.

---------- Update ----------

Here's another song that I wrote and recorded on the Tascam 388. This ones kinda all over the place.
And it's my first time recording and playing trumpet. Or at least try to play :)

[
SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/jasonharvey/tryfail-and-die-jason-harvey[/SOUNDCLOUD]

That was awesome mate, really raw and energic.

If anyone is interested, I've put up another album.

Who IS this Daryil guy, anyway...?
https://www.jamendo.com/en/list/a144873/who-is-this-daryil-guy-anyway...

...the Jamendo link has a breakdown of each track and recording notes.

This was recorded on an MSR-24 and mixed to an A807. The last track is 15 minutes long and wishes it was made in 1973.

Technical highlights included using two multitracks and the varispeed control to do a chord change over a note that was actually held steady during tracking, and that the two longest tracks couldn't be mixed in a single take and had to be mixed in sections and razorbladed together.

It's been a while since I posted one of these.
(Jyraneth Rising)

...it's one of the first songs I've uploaded which has been done on 2" using my new Otari MX80. The new album seems to be shaping up to be largely about dangerous maniacs. :-/

Not having access to a female vocalist I decided to try recording the lead vocals with the tape running slow and see what happened. This is the result.

There are a few glitches, a couple of flubs on the bass part, the drums don't sit well in the mix and the mixer buss clips each time the word 'screams' is voiced, something which I'm going to have to try and fix before I do the album version.

Vocals, bass and some of the tape effects (reverse cymbals) were recorded first on a TSR-8 and dubbed onto the 2" machine. Other tape effects were done on a Studer A807. The octave shifting bit around 5:10 was done on my Akai GX-210D because the other machines were too stable and precise when switching speeds.

Recorded on 2" 24 track on an Otari MX80 and mixed to 1/4" stereo on a Studer A807. Both machines use SM900 tape at 15ips.

Instruments used included:
Roland MVS-1, Roland JV1010 with Orchestral card
Korg Triton Extreme, Waldorf MicroWave Mk1
Hammond XM-1 with H&K Rotosphere
Manikin Memotron Rack, Waldorf Pulse, Moog Voyager
Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic

Ambitious track with lots of very cool keyboard patches that really add a lot of depth and classic 70's rock opera vibe to the sound. Yes, I can hear the warts you described and I think the song merits ironing those out and doing maximum justice to it mix wise to keep the levels more in check and coming up with a more transparent mix that really allows all the parts of the composition to shine through.

Good luck the rest of the way, jp! :)

Cheers! :)

Ambitious track with lots of very cool keyboard patches that really add a lot of depth and classic 70's rock opera vibe to the sound. Yes, I can hear the warts you described and I think the song merits ironing those out and doing maximum justice to it mix wise to keep the levels more in check and coming up with a more transparent mix that really allows all the parts of the composition to shine through.

Good luck the rest of the way, jp! :)

Cheers! :)

Thanks. It looks like the mixing desk has a minimum of +4 gain on the XLR inputs, vs a fixed -15 on the normal line-ins. So a quick and dirty fix for my overload problems could be to get a job lot of XLR->jack adaptors. Longer term, I should probably upgrade the desk.

My band has just (today) released a new album called Ballroom Dancing. It's all recorded in analogue at home using my MS16 and Studiomaster desk. I can answer any more gear questions if anyone has them :) Here's a mix we put together of it:

Enjoy :D

Back