TASCAM Wallpaper

Don't know if there's many BBE fans out there but I am certainly one! Anyway, I've been hunting around for a decent image of their original pro model called the 202R and as usual, it's pretty slim pickings out there so I tried to do a bit of a render of one which made use of some fairly compromised images...that is to say, crappy.

Any way, here's the BBE 202R...

View attachment 89789

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

As well as being a famous guitar manufacturer, Ibanez also had a pretty healthy electronics division making pedals and rack mount processing gear. Here's a nice example of their attempt at an all analog delay/chorus/flanger unit from the early 80's,

The Ibanez AD-202...

View attachment 89831

Ibanez did make some really great rack mount effects. I have an SDR-1000 that I love. It's a bit gritty sounding but is just magic on a snare drum. Great units!

Robert

Ibanez did make some really great rack mount effects. I have an SDR-1000 that I love. It's a bit gritty sounding but is just magic on a snare drum. Great units!

Robert

Yeah, I picked up an Ibanez electronics brochure in a local music store back around 1980 and studied it like it was the bible! That gear looked really cool and very well made.

Speaking of things from my early years of recording, Radio Shack was also one of the places a young man with little money was drawn to because of all the recording stuff they used to carry like microphones, stands, mixers and cool gadgets like this little guy, the Realistic stereo reverberation system. No legitimate studio would be caught dead with one of these suckers but I always thought it was great because of the basic mic mixing and reverb it could allow me to add when I was just working with two cheap cassette decks. I wonder if anyone here also had one of these too?

View attachment 89837

As well as being a famous guitar manufacturer, Ibanez also had a pretty healthy electronics division making pedals and rack mount processing gear. Here's a nice example of their attempt at an all analog delay/chorus/flanger unit from the early 80's,

The Ibanez AD-202...

I got a Ibanez UE-400 in my studio rack that I picked up for peanuts and works a treat. Don't remember the last time I recorded bass guitar without running it through the Ibanez rack first. These came with a big 4 or 5 button (can't remember) matching footswitch but my one has been modified with missile switches on the rack unit itself for switching effects. The chorus is authentic 80s and using the compression, distortion and phaser effects in series is always interesting.

Without the footswitch it's pretty much restricted to studio/rehearsal rooms and the impedance is all wrong to run the rack as an insert on the mixer but still a super bad-ass guitar or bass all analog multi effects unit. My one is still going strong after (I imagine) 3 decades plus and can be picked up for about a quarter the price of what even consumer grade spring reverbs are going for these days.

i wanted to share this here. It is the user interface of the iPad app that i am working on to control tape recorders (along with the electronics module needed to connect to the recorder) I would like to get some feedback for it, it is a complex project that i am doing alone when i have time, so it is taking a while but it will get there. Any feedback will be appreciated on the look and feel of the app. If someone wants to help that'll be great too as i am not a graphics/design expert. If this is inappropriate to post here, let me know, i tried to use ideas from the great pictures in this thread.

remote artwork.png

I've covered many reel to reel decks here, lots of cassette decks and even the Elcasete! But I've avoided the lowly 8-track as this was obviously a compromised format. But, just for fun, I was poking around ebay the other day to see what's floating around still and was surprised to find many decks which almost looked like a serious effort to put out a viable recorder with decent features. The Akai models seemed to be the only ones with glass ferrite heads and so I picked out one of their models to showcase here. The GXR-82D was pretty full featured in that it had full transport controls minus the rewind function which was impossible to achieve due to the endless loop cart format and also has a power button, which many 8-track decks left out and built that function into the loading mechanism to handle. Indeed, many decks of that ilk just offered a single Program button and nothing else!

Anyway, here she be...

View attachment 89928

OK, I found a decent picture of the Pioneer CT-A1! :D

Feature-wise, it's very similar to the CT-F1250 except its got the auto-BLE system in it and a fancier interface for memory storage of the settings. Interestingly, Phase Linear, under the direction of Bob Carver, released this same deck with their own branding in a brushed aluminum color with rack ears. Personally, I think the Pioneer one looks better in black. Both versions also had a big slide out "garage door" to cover the bottom section of the deck.

View attachment 90028

Back