Review – Studio Projects VTB1 mic pre

To quote a brilliant comment posted on another bbs about dealing with
another surrealistic environment (Los Angeles),
"Just pretend you're living in a cartoon and you'll be fine".
Pass the popcorn please...

Chris

Dot, I went back and looked at your last 15 posts. 12 had Studio Projects products mentioned mainly the C1 but also other products in which you suggested others buy. OK, you like their products. A ltttle suspicious though.

8 were closely followed by Alan Hyatts also comments. I see a review like this and I am led to one of 3 things. Alan is either paying you to make these, Alan has an alternate ego called Dot or Alan and you are very good friends and you are helping your buddy out.

Let's not try and create positive opinions to sell products. We get enough of this from the trades. Positive opinion comes from having a great product and providing good customer service.

That said, if you really like the products just state your case. Hey SP does make great products. I think you degrade yourself by repeatedly promoting one companies products however and stating things like, in this case, "I know of no other mic pre at any price that offers this kind of flexibilty and tonal range." How about an Avalon, Neve or Focusrite? Your saying these don't offer as much tonal range as a $179 pre.

Sorry Harvey, I disagree.

Harvey Gerst said:
It's along the same lines as the problem I had with the ProRec review of the C1.

First, the guy says that it sounds exactly like a Neumann U87 - not just close or similar - exactly the same sound, identical, no difference whatsoever, even in the slightest possible way.

OK, maybe so. I'll suspend belief for the time I'm reading the article and believe 100% that this pro with really great ears says these two mics are identical.

A few paragraphs later, he says, it doesn't sound like a U87; it sounds better. That made me go ballistic.

I would gladly believe either assertion was true, but not both, in the same article. If he says it's identical and his review is to be trusted, it should sound identical to anybody making the same test, not similar, but identical.

But if it's "better", then it should also be readly apparent that it's "better" and NOT identical.

I haven't finished my testing of the RNP or the VTB-1, but there are definite differences: The Shure SM-57 sounded far better on the RNP, as did the RCA 44BX.

The RCA 77DX was outstanding on the VTB-1 and did poorer on the RNP. But those are some of the points to be covered in a later review of both units.

I would buy the VTB-1 if only because of how good the 77DX sounded thru it. On the other hand, the RNP lifts a blanket off the top end like no other preamp I've ever heard. But I haven't tried it on a lot of mics in my collection yet.

I haven't tried the VBT-1 on a lot of other stuff either, but I'm fairly confident, it will perform well on most things, given the testing I've already done on a fair representation of several different types of microphones.

I wouldn't say that if I had just tried it on a couple of microphones - all of similar design.

I think you left out some details.
When Ted Perlman said the C1 sounded exactly like a U87,
he was auditioning the mic at a trade show, where he and some friends actually bought a few.
Then, after getting it home to his studio and using it for a while, he thought it sounded better than a U87.
Even better through a Joemeek VC1Q!
It is very believable to me that a mic can sound good, and then sound even better, when compared in 2 different environments.
No reason to go ballistic.
This review, your posted opinions, and Dot's made me go out and get a VC1Q and a C1, two purchases I have never regreted.

Writing styles aside, I'm not sure any one has proven why Dot's opinions on the C1 or the VTB-1 are more or less valid than any one elses.
Will everyone that assumes Dot works for Alan please prove it?
I doubt it.
IMHO, listen to all opinions, try the product for yourself if your interested, buy from a place with a liberal return policy, and decide from there.
As I've said before, thanx to Dot, Harvey, Alan and everyone else for their opinions on these forums.
I learn from everyone of them.
I will paste the section of the C1 review for others to judge for themselves.

Peace.
Carmen

http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/2CAB4F71AF9E2A1C86256A650081ECF9

Last January I got a frantic call from Pete Leoni, "You've got to get over here to NAMM and hear this mic! It's only $299.00 and it's exactly like a U87".

I was intrigued, so I made plans to meet Pete at NAMM here in Los Angeles. Just to make sure the mic was all Pete said, I brought along my wife Peggi Blu, an internationally known "diva" singer with a few major label albums to her credit. Peggi can truly "sang". When we got there Pete dragged us to PMI Audio's booth, where we met the owner of PMI, Alan Hyatt.

"Where's this amazing mic?" I asked, eager to finally hear the thing. There it was, next to a Neumann U87. Peggi, Pete, Alan, and myself put on the headphones and Peggi started singing into the 87. Awesome, that classic Neumann sound that is heard on probably 90% of the records ever made. She then moved over to the C1 and sang into that. EXACTLY the same, no difference. We were all amazed. Peggi looked up at me, smiled, and said "you've got to get this mic". I bought one on the spot, as did Pete, Randy Hammon (a great musician & singer), and everybody else who happened to be standing around and heard the impromptu demonstration. On the way home Peggi asked me why I didn't buy 2 of the mics. "Well, maybe it won't sound good in the mix", I answered. Hah, was I in for a big surprise.

I tried the mic the very next day. The vocalist was an 18 year old Christina Aguilera-type, big voice, wide range, and many dynamic subtleties to her vocal performances. She didn't get through a verse and chorus before she stopped singing and asked me "what kind of mic is this - I sound awesome on this". She did. I immediately called Alan Hyatt and played a little of the just finished recording into his answering machine. "This mic is unbelievable!" I screamed and hung up.

Over the next week I tried the mic on male singers, female singers, young singers, old singers, singers who could really sing, singers who couldn't sing very good – everybody. We did country, pop, rock, rap, hip-hop, R&B, everything. The mic just killed! It didn't sound like a U87 – it actually sounded better! You didn't have to eq it in the mix. The vocal performances sat in the mixes as if they had been compressed and limited and mastered already. How could a $299.00 mic sound this good? I had to tell the world. I started writing rave ups of the C1 on beta forums I participated in, on newsgroups, everywhere. I probably sounded like I was on PMI Audio's payroll, but nothing could be further from the truth. I would have paid $1,000.00 for this mic. My clients were all thrilled. Even friends of singers would lean over in the control room while we were recording vocals and ask me "what kind of mic is that, it sounds awesome!". And we were not even using a big deal mic pre-amp. For the first month I had the C1, we used a Presonus MP20 mic pre. The MP20 is a great sounding preamp, but definitely not "top of the line" by any means. It is just a good, clean, mid-priced unit that colours the sound very minimally. The next month I got a Joe Meek VC1Q, which sent the sound of the C1 "over the hill". This was about as close to orgasmic as the recording process gets.

Does the C1 "change the world"? Actually, I think the answer is a resounding "yes". For the first time, home studio recordists can afford to have a microphone that will give them world class sound. Obviously, the quality of the vocal performances will determine what the recordings really sound like, but they now have the same level of tools as the 'big boys'. The advent of fast PC's changed the way recordings were done, and I feel this mic is the next step in the process.

PMI also makes 2 other mic models – the C3, a multi pattern version of the C1, and the T3, an 8 pattern tube mic that sounds as close to an AKG C12 as the C1 sounds to the U87. They are all spectacular. I have used the T3 on every background session I've recorded since it came into my studio. Alan Hyatt must have filled his answering machine up with my nightime calls raving about his mics.

Last year I got into a bit of trouble with my friends at Neumann for writing at the Cakewalk Newsgroup that I preferred a Rode NT2 over their mics in some cases. They had been kind enough to let me borrow a few of their high end mics for a few weeks, and felt "betrayed" by my endorsing the Rode. I didn't mean any disrespect to Neumann, who everybody knows are one of the best mic manufacturers ever. I again hope my writings here about the C1 don't offend them again. However, for too long, these Neumanns have been out of reach except for the wealthy and the big studio owners. Well, the C1 is here and hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, the potential purchaser will have a choice when they go into a store to purchase a new mic – the Studio Projects line, the Neumann line, or the AKG, Groove Tubes, or other mic brands. And that customer will not have to give up their entire monthly mortgage or 1/2 year's worth of car payments to get it, either. They will have the option of getting a mic with a brand name that their clients will recognize immediately, or a mic that simply sounds great. And that will be a great day for all of us.
- Ted Perlman

Yeah, Harvey...no reason to go ballistic.....you act like you were "gypped out of a bunch of screws"......

You're right and I apologized to Dot for my rude behaviour somewhere on one of these threads. There are certain phrases that push my buttons, and "exactly like" is one of them.

I've spent a large part of my career in interpreting the differences between similar equipment, using my ears, and sophisticated audio test equipment, and I've found there are a lot of fine shades that people don't always hear on first listen. Or they misinterprete what they hear, calling high end peaks "detail", and an upper bass peak as "deep lows".

Perhaps this "instant gratification" with a new toy explains why an AKG C1000 or C3000, or a Bose 901, or an Alesis 3630 continues to be popular, flying in the face of specs and facts and critical listening.

How people can continually compare the sound as "idendical" between a C1 and a U87 is beyond me, but I'm getting too old to get caught up in what I perceive as a "youthful paridigm".

Listening to new stuff is always tricky for me, since a lot of my recomendations will trickle back to the professional recording industry and I do not want to destroy my reputation there. I'm already in deep shit for recommending the Oktavas, Marshalls, ECM8000s there.

Perhaps I'm too precise for my own good and I've been saying here for a long time that I really want to get out of the reviewing business. Let younger ears do the reviews. If it stops these arguments, perhaps we'd all be better off, as long as the reviews accurately reflect the piece being reviewed.

It's certainly some points for me to think about as I wait for my eye to heal.

It seems that everytime new gear comes in we always get the same crap. Like anyone, I would like to see balanced and accurate reporting on gear. I also want to see reviews that extensively test and compare new gear with other similar and dissimilar gear...and I also want the world in a handbasket too.

I'm not going to defend or promote Dot, whoever he/she may really be, but I find most of the responses to the post to be ridiculous in light of the fact that most of the respondents haven't even tried the preamp and can't comment one way or another as to its value.

As someone who just bought one and tested it out with one of my best clients...I say it's a great pre...for the money and "period." However, I'm comparing it to a Presonus MP20 (also a great pre), a Mackie vlz pro, and a Behringer "toob" pre. The VTB-1 seems to have a more "earthy" tone than the Presonus MP20, while the PreSonus is clear, open and a bit more "forward" sounding. The Mackie is clean, but has no character compared to these pres, even on the solid state of the VTB-1 or the "no IDSS" mode of the PreSonus pre. But these observations are limited by my comparisons, gear, room, cable, etc. (Mogami cable, Tannoy Reveal Active Monitors, Audio Technica ATH-M40fs Headphones)

My main point is not to sing the praises of the pre or not. My point is that all of this back and forth is tiring until you get off your can and buy the thing. Even after buying the gear, I've yet to read or hear any extensive comparisons of this gear...Harvey's review is about the closest that I've seen...and even that review was admitedly limited. The point is try it out...It's only $179. Heck, most retailers selling it have a generous return policy. Why all this talk when you could just settle the matter for yourself?

Harvey Gerst said:
You're right and I apologized to Dot for my rude behaviour somewhere on one of these threads. There are certain phrases that push my buttons, and "exactly like" is one of them.

I've spent a large part of my career in interpreting the differences between similar equipment, using my ears, and sophisticated audio test equipment, and I've found there are a lot of fine shades that people don't always hear on first listen. Or they misinterprete what they hear, calling high end peaks "detail", and an upper bass peak as "deep lows".

Perhaps this "instant gratification" with a new toy explains why an AKG C1000 or C3000, or a Bose 901, or an Alesis 3630 continues to be popular, flying in the face of specs and facts and critical listening.

How people can continually compare the sound as "idendical" between a C1 and a U87 is beyond me, but I'm getting too old to get caught up in what I perceive as a "youthful paridigm".

Listening to new stuff is always tricky for me, since a lot of my recomendations will trickle back to the professional recording industry and I do not want to destroy my reputation there. I'm already in deep shit for recommending the Oktavas, Marshalls, ECM8000s there.

Perhaps I'm too precise for my own good and I've been saying here for a long time that I really want to get out of the reviewing business. Let younger ears do the reviews. If it stops these arguments, perhaps we'd all be better off, as long as the reviews accurately reflect the piece being reviewed.

It's certainly some points for me to think about as I wait for my eye to heal.

Sir,
You are a true Gentleman and your post shows why you are as respected as you are around here.
Get Well Soon,
Peace.
Carmen
:)
P.S.
Never give up the reviewing, at least not around here.
Your contributions are more valuable than you know...

Our designer wanted me to post this for him in hopes to further clear the air of all this crap, and there is crap. So, here is is post as he is not on these BBS groups. I may be beginning to understand why.

Hello, All;
I’m the designer of the VTB-1 and I thought I should comment here before this gets any uglier!

I appreciate the positive reviews the VTB-1 has received, but I’m also troubled at the negative “reviews” that it’s receiving. Most of these negative comments are not based on how the VTB-1 sounds, but are based on the fact that I used a TUBE in the signal path, but I’m only running the plate at 60 volts. It has to be called a TOOB, I’m told.

Some quotes:
”… vacuum tubes will not benefit anybody's sound unless they are driven at their proper voltage”
“… your tube is a toob, it is at worst a useless gimmick and at best an effect that might sound good on something but it has nothing at all to do with actual tube equipment”
“… you may not need 300v but you do certainly need to have at least 150v for a 12AX7 type tube to operate properly”
“… that whole "tube essence" crap (or whatever they call it) immediately makes it look like nothing more than a gimmick”

Those are strong statements, and the authors no doubt believe in their validity, but we think we do offer something that can benefit someone’s sound without running the 12AX7 at 250 volts. As to our using the term Tube; sorry, but that’s what it is: a user-controlled tube gain stage (even if it doesn’t operate “properly”).

As to the comparisons (both real and imagined) between the VTB-1 and the RNP, or the Grace 101 or any other preamp. There are a lot of decisions to make when designing (and ultimately building) a product. There are choices and trade-offs that have to be made to bring a product in at a certain price-point. Our goal was to build a preamp for less than $200 (street) that would be clean and quiet and also feature some added enhancement. I’m sure the designers of those other preamps had similar decisions to make based on their ultimate goals. Their products were designed to be strictly clean and transparent (and more expensive). Is the VTB-1 the greatest preamp in the world? Well … no, but it wasn’t designed to be.

When Alan first came to me, he asked for a good clean mic pre for less than $200. No problem, I told him… but wait, there’s more. He also wanted Instrument input, impedance switching, Hi-pass filter, Insert point, metering, balanced output and hey, could you throw in a tube stage for adding color. Well, all that took a little more time. The goal of the VTB-1 has always been: a clean, transparent, quiet mic pre with the added feature of a USER CONTROLLED tube coloration stage. There, I’ve said it; the tube stage is designed to COLOR the sound, it’s there if you want to use it. When I say color I mean it as a broad term for anything that affects the natural sound of the signal from the mic, just as any EQ, compressor, enhancer or other piece of gear you have in your studio is there to color the sound. You use those colors to paint your audio pictures; we just wanted to add to your palette.
Like Alan said; Relax, it’s just a mic pre.

Thanks for listening.

Harvey and I are cool – apology accepted. I posted in the mic forum - after enough comments that my review was too magazine-like – that it actually was developed and intended for a magazine I co-publish. After writing the first draft, we decided it wasn't an appropriate subject for our audience, and so I just posted it around on the net.

The people who bitch and flame don't even phase me. I don't write for them. I write for everyone wanting and needing more affordable, great audio gear and better recording techniques. I don't need to defend myself. There are thousands of people out there who will drop their dime on a piece of gear based on an unbiased recommendation from Dot.

Of course my reviews are a bit "rosy" and enthusiastic. I only write reviews and recommend stuff that blows me away and levels the playing field.

– Dan Richards

Last edited:
After following the release of this pre and the reviews, followed by the pro and con comments, I just want to throw my two cents in. First, I am thankful to Harvey, Dan and Chessrock for posting their impressions of this unit, since I don't own one yet. For me, its quite valuable to read these reviews. Adding the three together, I have a pretty good picture of what the VTB-1 is and isn't. My expectations are pretty high from the information I have read, but I don't expect a $2000 preamp for $200. What I do anticipate is a unit that performs well above its list price, compared to other pre's in the same price range. Personally, I think this is an effort that demands some applause and thank you's. Alan Hyatt and company are raising the bar on price/performance and we are the beneficiaries of these efforts. I think that's great--the same way I thought Mackie boards were great when they first came out. By the way, I own no SP products, so I'm not spamming on their behalf.

I find it somewhat amusing at the amount of passion the subject of pre-amps receives, but I kind of like that. It takes passion and love of the medium to make intelligent decisions about this kind of gear. Opinions vary and it can approach a heated level at times. I accept that. I don't like seeing a product attacked by those who haven't used it anymore than I want the company that makes it to shove its wonders down my throat. I don't think SP has done that. Alan pointed us to some reviews. I wanted that to happen.

In the end , this is a preamp. Nobody is asking anybody to convert to a new religion, dye their hair or change their sexual preference. I'm gonna get one and try it out. I am pretty certain that it will perform better than some of the junk I have lying around!

To sum up: thanks for the reviews, thanks SP for attempting to break the price barrier, and its a PREAMP folks. Not a new social order we have to follow. A negative review by someone who doesn't have the unit is not worth much to me.

I just saw a phrase used in another Forum pertaining to SP mics, which possibly sums up the SP product range versus higher end products..........................all it said was that the C1 (also mentioned Oktava 012's) hold their own against the big name mics.

:cool:

ausrock said:
I just saw a phrase used in another Forum pertaining to SP mics, which possibly sums up the SP product range versus higher end products..........................all it said was that the C1 (also mentioned Oktava 012's) hold their own against the big name mics.

And that, I believe. My C3 is really impressing me. What a sweet piece of gear. I feel like getting another one.

Bowisc

ausrock said:
And......................?

Hmmm. And Elation and SE and Behringer (B2) and . . . that's pretty much all I can think of for now, but I'll ad more as they come to mind if you'd like.

In other words, there's a lot of 'em, so I don't understand why SP enjoys such a cult hero status among mic companys. It's another good mic at a good price -- among many. No more, no less. In what way is their pre any different? What sound bariers did they break in the pre design? An opamp and a toob? It's been done. :D Although I am intrigued by the variable impedence feature.

Last edited:
ausrock said:
And......................?

Don't sweat it Chris, C-rock is just being C-Rock. He is a good promoter of other brands on every SP thread, or at the end of every positive comment someone may make on SP. His colors come through loud and clear... No worries mate!

Just a small observation

I may not be the best oracle for pro audio equipment however, I do like to keep up with what is going on if for no other reason that I enjoy it. Also, I have a studio of my own and therefore a limited vested interest. Nevertheless, however good a C1 may be, I have noticed that it has not single handedly made higher priced mics obsolete. I have not noticed any articles where someone said they trashed or sold or laid to rest their Soundelux or Neuman. So I am wondering, where is the cut-off. I mean to say, have we reached the day and age where spending $2,000.00 on a preamp or mic is merely a matter of ego and has no practical meaning.

Re: Just a small observation

PhilMckracken said:
I may not be the best oracle for pro audio equipment however, I do like to keep up with what is going on if for no other reason that I enjoy it. Also, I have a studio of my own and therefore a limited vested interest. Nevertheless, however good a C1 may be, I have noticed that it has not single handedly made higher priced mics obsolete. I have not noticed any articles where someone said they trashed or sold or laid to rest their Soundelux or Neuman. So I am wondering, where is the cut-off. I mean to say, have we reached the day and age where spending $2,000.00 on a preamp or mic is merely a matter of ego and has no practical meaning.
Phil,

Just as no one vehicle is right for every purpose, there is no one single mic or mic pre that is right for everything. There are a lot of low-priced alternatives to some of the higher priced equipment that may give you 80%, 90%, or even closer to the performance of the most expensive equipment, but the expensive stuff is expensive often with good reason.

If you're producing a $250,000 album, would you want to settle for something that was 80% of the best performance, if your career and reputation was dependent on the results? You'd want to use the best equipment available in the finest facility.

On the other hand, if you're working at home on a demo, can you justify owning a $7,000 mic and a $4,000 preamp for your little bedroom studio, with the neighbor's kids playing just outside your window? Probably not. And if a piece of gear will get you to 70% or 80% of a high dollar piece of gear, is the extra quality (those last few percentage points) really worth a lot more dollars? Especially if the rest of the recording chain isn't the best money can buy? Again, probably not.

Where the line blurs is with the home studio owner's expectations and their lack of familiarity with the actual sound of great gear in a great facility. That's where people often confuse the "best gear" with the "best gear I own", or worse, "the best gear at any price", when in reality, it's just the best gear that will satisfy their needs, on their budget.

In the final analysis, it's the music that's the most important, not the gear. A shitty song will still be a shitty song, regardless of where or how it's recorded. A good song is another matter. Great gear makes it easier to record a great song, since you're less limited by the equipment and that's important when a lot of money is riding on the final product.

Yes, the differences can often be very subtle, but those differences still exist between the high dollar stuff and the lower dollar stuff. But the low dollar stuff is closing the gap, and it's often "more than good enough" for a lot of things.

Until you've heard the sound of a Stephen Paul 0.6 micron diaphragm in a Neumann U67, a new Chinese mic may sound "just as good", but that really says more about your experience than it does about the actual differences. And some of the differences won't be as obvious when you're listening to a $500 pair of speakers in a bedroom studio. But the differences do exist, nevertheless, whether you hear them or not.

If it wasn't important, mastering studios wouldn't invest $20,000 to $50,000 in their speakers alone if a $500 pair of Behringer "Truth" monitors would work "just as good".

These new mics and preamps DO represent an incredible value for the typical home hobbyist and smaller pro studios, but believe me when I tell you that Mark McQuilken owns a Great River preamp, among others, and Alan Hyatt doesn't just have all Studio Project mics in his mic locker.

But, even if that's all they owned, they could still do a better job recording with those products than most of the people here, because they're both excellent engineers, with years of experience.

It's always been about the "years" and the "ears", then comes the gear.

Harvey...Amen Brother. I read everything you write. You understand both the experienced engineer and us "hacks" I need people like Alan to keep this recording stuff in a price range that us home recoding guys can afford. Oh yeah...this is Home Recording.com not "Professional if you don't have $400,000 of equipment your crap.com" Alan is the one manufacture who will post here to explain his equipment targeted for a Home or small studio owner. Keep in mind people, some of here are recording to have fun. Ah come on...you know what fun is.

Back