Is the neumann m149 the best vocal studio microphone ?

Oh boy! I'm going to try to do my best Fletcher immitation. There is no best mic for vocals. It's dependent upon the vocalist, the song, the room, the stage of the moon and all sorts of other things.

I've never personally heard the M-149, but I'm sure it's a very nice mic. In the best category though, you'd probably get votes for the Soundelux, Korby, Lawson mics, as well as vintage models.

Oh boy! I'm going to try to do my best Fletcher immitation. There is no best mic for vocals. It's dependent upon the vocalist, the song, the room, the stage of the moon and all sorts of other things.

I've never personally heard the M-149, but I'm sure it's a very nice mic. In the best category though, you'd probably get votes for the Soundelux, Korby, Lawson mics, as well as vintage models.

ok, the real problem that i am from portugal, and here the stores that have in stock that kind of mic, for testing

and i want to buy a exelent mic for vocals. i thought that m149 was a good choise....

BradD said:

No. There IS a best mic for vocals. It is the M-149.

Gabriel Sousa said:
ok , ok

know, i am thinking to buy Brauner VM1a tube :D

what you think ?

thanks for the TIPS

[waving hand over head]
Ooooooooooo...pick me! Pick me! I'll answer this one...

[ACOREC acknowledges the new student]
"Yes, Mr. McQ...you may answer"

McQ slowly stands and answers: "I think that the Brauner VM1a tube is...<drumroll>...is...the...BEST VOCAL STUDIO MICROPHONE EVER!!!!"

ACOREC: Very good answer! There, now Mr. Sousa has a choice: either the M149 or the VM1A is THE VERY BEST vocal studio microphone EVER!!! And, Mr. McQ, that answer was so PC and full-of-shit that you'll make a great major label engineer someday!

McQ quickly sits down, proudly wearing his new PC badge proudly...

(The preceding was a work of fiction...any resemblence to things or people...living or dead...is purely coincidental! Mr. Acorec's identity was used without express permission and, as a result, the Clearances administrator has been sacked...)

do you have a m149 ? or test it one ?

thanks

McQ said:

ACOREC: Very good answer! There, now Mr. Sousa has a choice: either the M149 or the VM1A is THE VERY BEST vocal studio microphone EVER!!! And, Mr. McQ, that answer was so PC and full-of-shit that you'll make a great major label engineer someday!

Oh boy...

Look, Sousa. Here's a classic story that should answer your question:

Joe six-pack finally buys his dream car, a '78 chevy corvette. Nice car, the neighbors say. He covets that car - he is in car nirvana; how could it get any better?

A couple of years later, Joe wins the lottery! He's so happy and proud that when everyone asks him what he's going to do with all the money, he immediately says "I'm going to fill up a nine car garage!" He starts off by selling his chevy, and buying a brand new one. Soon, money affects his tastes, and he buys a Beamer. Then, a Mercedes. A Porsche. A maserati. A FERARRI! King of the road. Then he realizes that he's only been shopping for production cars, and orders a special handcrafted gold plated 16 cylinder roadster! But you know what? He is NEVER satisfied, because he misses his old '78 corvette - it wasn't technically better than any of his new cars, but he missed the way it started, and how it burned oil! And because he can't ever find his exact same car ever again, he fails to get that same feeling everytime he buys a new mic! I mean car. Get the picture?

THERE IS NO BEST! Tastes are different! Different mics of the same model are even different! It is futile to try to find the best mic, because you know what - there ISN'T ONE! No best car, no best wife, no best song, NO BEST MIKE!

IMO, that is.

All in good fun!

-Graham

Gabriel Sousa said:
do you have a m149 ? or test it one ?

thanks

Yes. '149s, '49s, '47s, SonyC800, C12s, etc. (many, many times for each)

What is "best"? Given that talking about sound is like dancing about architecture, only YOU can answer the question...there will not be a substitute for this. So, if you're out in the boonies, establish a good relationship with vendors what will provide you with product on a trial basis. Try them out and then make up your mind!

Your welcome,
McQ

i know, Tastes are different.

i would like to test the:

Neumann m149
Brauner VM1a tube
Lawson L251
Lawson L47MP
Soundelux Elux-251

but the real problem, were i will test them ?

i am from Portugal europe, here the stores dont have $1000 mics in stock.

thats why i need to know what people think

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

see what you (and the engineer?) might think.

If you spend $1000 at a studio and come up with a good decision you are happy with, then consider that $1000 well spent.

(then go pick up a sm57 and scream some thrash vocals and write a song about all the money you just saved!!)

don't go to a store.

Go to a high-end studio.

Rent some time...

try some mics...

see what you (and the engineer?) might think.

If you spend $1000 at a studio and come up with a good decision you are happy with, then consider that $1000 well spent.

(then go pick up a sm57 and scream some thrash vocals and write a song about all the money you just saved!!) [/QUOTE]

Great Idea. I'd suggest it also. It sure will cost you much less than $1000 for a couple hours at even a high-end studio.

Back