The New Tone Thread

Your Chupa has weird volume stuff going on with all those modes and switches though. I'm not surprised the DSL is/seems way louder.

For another comparison...my JVM is 100 watts. It's much louder than my 50w JMP, but it doesn't seem as loud as my 100w JCM 800 or the Plexi.

The Plexi 1959SLP and JCM 800 are ridiculously loud when cranked. They are shockingly loud.

Yeah dude, I'm sure with the Chupa's hot-rodded gain staging & other shit it's got, it is a little different than an old-school, vintage amp like you have, but I still love it to death man, I was fucking around with all my amps today, I even fired up the Tweaker & DSL-1, but as soon as I plugged into the Ceriatone, that's where the guitar/cable ended up staying...I just love how it responds to my playing, I'm learning how to control the feedback, & it's really touch-sensitive....All in all, it's the best amp I've had so far by a longshot...

I wish we lived close to one another dude, in a way, I'd love to see/hear how my clone compares to the real thing, but, in all honesty, I could really care less...this amp just has "that" tone I'd been trying so hard to get with ampsims, pedals, low-watters, everything I could even think of trying, it's just there as soon as I plug in, no pedals, no tricks, just the guitar plugged into the amp/cab...

You know how my little amps were collecting dust when I first got the DSL100???? Well, other than today (for about an hour, tops) all my other amps (and dirt pedals for that matter) are now doorstops...:).

the 6101 is shockingly NOT loud ..... most anemic 100 watter I've ever heard. I've references to this on the Marshall forum actually.
I just have it set to 25 watts for studio use but live, it's just not very loud.

Well Bob, I really don't have anything else to compare the DSL100 to, and I'm sure me trying to be "quiet" all this time, using the low-watt amps with the ISO cabs have a lot to do with it, but I just can't get over how fuckin' loud the DSL100 is ran through the 4x12 I have...It's just beastly loud to me....Might not be to Greg or others who are used to that shit though....

Yeah dude, I'm sure with the Chupa's hot-rodded gain staging & other shit it's got, it is a little different than an old-school, vintage amp like you have, but I still love it to death man, I was fucking around with all my amps today, I even fired up the Tweaker & DSL-1, but as soon as I plugged into the Ceriatone, that's where the guitar/cable ended up staying...I just love how it responds to my playing, I'm learning how to control the feedback, & it's really touch-sensitive....All in all, it's the best amp I've had so far by a longshot...

I wish we lived close to one another dude, in a way, I'd love to see/hear how my clone compares to the real thing, but, in all honesty, I could really care less...this amp just has "that" tone I'd been trying so hard to get with ampsims, pedals, low-watters, everything I could even think of trying, it's just there as soon as I plug in, no pedals, no tricks, just the guitar plugged into the amp/cab...

You know how my little amps were collecting dust when I first got the DSL100???? Well, other than today (for about an hour, tops) all my other amps (and dirt pedals for that matter) are now doorstops...:).
Lol. You should sell some of that other stuff then. That's kind of how I feel about my 2204 and why I might entertain trading it. I don't hate it by any means, I always enjoy it when I play it, and I've put a lot of energy into getting it right, but it's not my favorite amp in my pile. It's original vintage value doesn't mean too much to me except for $$$$$. I want amps that I always want to use, and at this point my 2204, as cool as it is, gets used the least.

the 6101 is shockingly NOT loud ..... most anemic 100 watter I've ever heard. I've references to this on the Marshall forum actually.
I just have it set to 25 watts for studio use but live, it's just not very loud.

Have you ever run it through a 4x12? I was goofing around with a Class 5 into a 1x12 about 6 months ago and thought it was okay, then I plugged it into a 4x12 and holy crap, it was really good! Totally different, bigger, and louder sound.

Ok....same little "song", but I lowered the guitars, re-tracked the left side with the DSL1 > 4x12, & changed the drum sounds....

Lemme know what you think, especially about the drums on this, trying a completely different kit (Jamstix sounds), that I think sounds ok....

This is the 1w amp pretty much dimed through the 4x12....honestly, this little fucker is pretty damn loud through a big cab...

DSL1 - Chupa mix

Okay finally got to this....

I think the drum sounds are okay. Kick and snare sound pretty natural. The hats and crash are a little too sample sounding. But that kick pattern doesn't work for me. Those ghost kicks kind of throw it off to me.

Ok...thanks for taking the time to listen & give me your opinion (again...lol) on the drum programming....I tried Jamstix' sounds, hoping the articulations would translate better because they were made for one another, but in all honesty, I think about anything I use is gonna have it's downfalls, so, I'll probably just stick to what I'd been using before, Superior mixed with Slate snares & kicks....I do have some good sounding (to me anyway) Abbey Road samples (Kontakt), but I'd most likely have to re-program most, if not all of the songs I have, & it'd be just too much to fuck with.....:laughings:.

And, I just pulled the trigger on:
Celestion G1265 re-issue
Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary
Sennheiser e609 mic

Plus, I bought enough strings to re-string all my guitars, & have a couple extra sets for later...All this shit should be here around the middle of next week, so this is my Christmas present to myself for being such a good boy this year...:p.

I thought about it, thought about it, then though about it some more, & finally said fuck it, just get 2 more different speakers for the "bastard" 4x12, & later on get another cab or two, along with some more speakers...maybe...

The new speakers & mic should add nicely to the arsenal, & my speaker quest should be about over (until I start with the other cabs, getting matching sets) for awhile, & the e609 will allow me to use the 2-mic thing, with loud-as-fuck levels, where the condensor mics just can't handle the high SPL's.....

Gotta get off here, get a shower & eat until I explode....My family's all getting together today, and while it'll be hard (this will be the first Thanksgiving without my Dad...:(.), it'll be good to have everybody together....

Hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Have you ever run it through a 4x12? I was goofing around with a Class 5 into a 1x12 about 6 months ago and thought it was okay, then I plugged it into a 4x12 and holy crap, it was really good! Totally different, bigger, and louder sound.
no ..... but I've been running combos and Mesa combos for a while now and I know what 100 watts should sound like thru a single 12 ...... not as loud as a 4x12 for sure but my 90 watt Mark V 1x12 ROARS when I crank it ...... this Marshall just doesn't.

Sounds pretty good int the studio though.

no ..... but I've been running combos and Mesa combos for a while now and I know what 100 watts should sound like thru a single 12 ...... not as loud as a 4x12 for sure but my 90 watt Mark V 1x12 ROARS when I crank it ...... this Marshall just doesn't.

Sounds pretty good int the studio though.

Interesting. I wonder how much the speaker plays a role in that. The Mesa probably has a V30, right? They're very efficient and loud. What's in the 6100?

Ok...thanks for taking the time to listen & give me your opinion (again...lol) on the drum programming....I tried Jamstix' sounds, hoping the articulations would translate better because they were made for one another, but in all honesty, I think about anything I use is gonna have it's downfalls, so, I'll probably just stick to what I'd been using before, Superior mixed with Slate snares & kicks....I do have some good sounding (to me anyway) Abbey Road samples (Kontakt), but I'd most likely have to re-program most, if not all of the songs I have, & it'd be just too much to fuck with.....:laughings:.

And, I just pulled the trigger on:
Celestion G1265 re-issue
Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary
Sennheiser e609 mic

Plus, I bought enough strings to re-string all my guitars, & have a couple extra sets for later...All this shit should be here around the middle of next week, so this is my Christmas present to myself for being such a good boy this year...:p.

I thought about it, thought about it, then though about it some more, & finally said fuck it, just get 2 more different speakers for the "bastard" 4x12, & later on get another cab or two, along with some more speakers...maybe...

The new speakers & mic should add nicely to the arsenal, & my speaker quest should be about over (until I start with the other cabs, getting matching sets) for awhile, & the e609 will allow me to use the 2-mic thing, with loud-as-fuck levels, where the condensor mics just can't handle the high SPL's.....

Gotta get off here, get a shower & eat until I explode....My family's all getting together today, and while it'll be hard (this will be the first Thanksgiving without my Dad...:(.), it'll be good to have everybody together....

Hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Cool man! Now listen, that G12H and your V30 are probably gonna be much louder than the 65 and the Greenback. It freaks some people out. It's normal. That's just how they are.

By the way, I backed out of that potential trade for the 1987x. Not gonna do it. I'll trade away my vintage original 2204, but it's gonna be for a vintage original something else.

Thanks Greg, I'm really not worried about the difference in the loudness between the different speakers, I'm just really happy I'll have 5 different speakers to choose from in a few days...I almost got another Greenback, but said fuck it, I'm just gonna keep the 4x12 at 8 ohms, with 4 different speakers like the original plan was....Later on, I'll get another cab or two, then I can worry about matching up speakers....It should be pretty cool to mix/match tones with different speakers in the same cab (IE: like the Greenback mixed with the '65 for example...)...Pretty excited dude!!!

I couldn't find any info, which I really didn't look too hard, but the e609 can handle high SPL's right??? I don't plan on recording everything with the amp(s) on "10" all the time, but it'll be nice to have the option if I need/want it....Currently, when I wanna use 2 mics, I can't get the master on the Chupa past about 2-3, & the condensor clips, with the DSL, it's even less since it's much louder than the Chupa...

Programming some drums right now dude, just chillin' enjoying my little mini-vacation while it lasts...I'd better, because other than a couple days for Christmas, & a day or two here/there, this is the last one for about 8 months.....

Didn't see your post on the trade, I'm betting you did the right thing man, hang onto what you've got unless something comes along that you just have to have, & even then, think long & hard about it.....You've got a killer setup dude, I'd love to have what you've got, amp/cab-wise, but, I'm slowly but surely catching up in some areas...;).

Really, really happy with all the gear I've gotten in the last year...Since this time last year I've bought:

Gibson LP Studio
Behringer C1 condensor
Marshall DSL100
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Randall ISO cab (which I'm really fuckin' disappointed with, probably the least liked piece of gear I've gotten in a while)
Bogner Ecstasy Red
JOYO Hot Plexi (2nd in line to the Randall ISO, I tried it again today, & it just sucks....lol)
Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe
Sennheiser 'phones
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w
Celestion G1265
Celestion G12H
Sennheiser e609

Plus, lots of little shit, like a Snark tuner, patch cables, mic cables, guitar cables, strings, etc...

I've spent quite a bit on gear this year, & most of it has been since about June....These speakers & the e609 are gonna be the last things I buy for a while, I know I keep saying that, but I'm sticking to my guns this time, I have to, I've got some things that aren't music-related I'm gonna have to buckle down & take care of....

I've finally realized that there's always gonna be something else I want, no matter how much shit I buy...And, there's still a lot of things on "the list" I haven't checked off yet, but, there's a lot I have since starting all this crazy shit...:laughings:.

All in all, this has been a really good year for me, music/gear-wise, on the personal side of things, it's been really shitty at times, but that's life, just gotta keep goin', no matter what...:thumbs up:.

I know dude, this has been the longest I've ever went without finishing a song, since I started the recording thing....Although in my defense, a lot of shit has happened in my life the past year or so, but I've still had time to finish some of 'em up....

I've got more than enough gear now (I had enough to begin with....I was knocking out 2-3 songs a month with the fuckin' POD....hahahaha), that's not "entry level", I've got some pretty high-end shit now, so hopefully, I haven't forgotten my mixing skills when it comes time for that....lol...

Interesting. I wonder how much the speaker plays a role in that. The Mesa probably has a V30, right? They're very efficient and loud. What's in the 6100?
Mesas use Mesa Black Shadow speakers which are supposed to be V30s but with 90 watts capacity.

In the 6101 I've had 3 different speakers.
The original speaker which came with it was a special design EV that was made specifically for that amp.
EVs are usually efficient but I don't know the specs of that specific speaker.
...... then I tried a Weber Michigan (which is currently in my Mark V) ....... now it has a Mesa Black Shadow which, as I said, is supposed to be a V30 with a bit more power handling.

Off on another vagina quest guys....lol....actually, it's the same vagina, just going back for some more....hahaha

I'll check in on my phone late tonight or tomorrow, gonna head out the door in a few minutes to go pick her up & get the fuck out of the house for a few hours....

Speakers & mic shipped today, should be here around Wed just guessing....Pretty fuckin' stoked about the new speakers & mic, slowly but surely my rig's coming together....Oh yeah, finished up a couple songs last night/this morning drum-programmin wise, if it's not good enough, fuck it, it'll have to do, I've wasted too much time already fucking around with those fake drums, they're not gonna sound 100% real anyway, & most, if not all who hear 'em won't even fuckin' care...lol...

Gotta run!!!!

Back