I'm building a new guitar

Are you not putting a clear coat on it?
I caved in, and decided to put some clear on it. I really wish I hadn't. I bought an aerosol can of the same urethane I've been using on the neck. It seemed to work fine on the sample, but when I sprayed the guitar it was impossible to put on a smooth coat. It was spitting big blobs everywhere, so I piled it on, and figured I'd level it out with sand paper. I f'kn stink at finishing. I can make a guitar in a few afternoons work, but when it comes to putting the finish on, I struggle.

That's friggin stellar. I'm so jealous of people that can build their own guitars. I really wish I could do it. Yours looks great. :)
Thanks Greg, I wish I had your studio skills.

Today I made the nut from some corian scrap, and drilled for the tuning machines.
srfcstr39.jpg

srfcstr40.jpg

srfcstr41.jpg

I feel your pain man, All of us from the very best to the novice have experienced problems with finishing regimes and we all will again. Thats why I asked about what you planned early on as I'm always interested in others approach to it. I also mentioned it being like alchemy and the importance of testing on scrap which it sounds like you did. Sometimes you just have to step away and approach it again.

I'm not a fan of aerosols for the reasons you have found out. Sometimes it helps to let them stand in warm water after agitating them. That often helps with the spiiting. Sounds like you have a duff can to me...

I also avoid overloading at all costs. I'll stop and sand back and recoat rather than load up more on an already troublesome shoot. Sometimes it is all down to feel. I also work meticulously clean when finishing as aerosols can pick stuff right out of the air that you never knew were there.

What are you using by the way? How is the adhesion?

Good luck and don't despair. Things often get worse before they get better.

I feel your pain man, All of us from the very best to the novice have experienced problems with finishing regimes and we all will again. Thats why I asked about what you planned early on as I'm always interested in others approach to it. I also mentioned it being like alchemy and the importance of testing on scrap which it sounds like you did. Sometimes you just have to step away and approach it again.
Yeah, it isn't the end of the world, just really frustrating. The can of clear was the first thing that I went out and bought for this guitar. Everything else I had on hand, except for the red paint, which a friend gave me. It was tractor paint he purchased at a farm store left over from a little red wagon he restored. I liked the way it flowed out on the wagon, and figured it was worth a shot.

I'm not a fan of aerosols for the reasons you have found out. Sometimes it helps to let them stand in warm water after agitating them. That often helps with the spiiting. Sounds like you have a duff can to me...
I think you are right on the money here. I'm taking it back.

I also avoid overloading at all costs. I'll stop and sand back and recoat rather than load up more on an already troublesome shoot. Sometimes it is all down to feel. I also work meticulously clean when finishing as aerosols can pick stuff right out of the air that you never knew were there.
I knew better, but didn't let it stop me. :facepalm:

What are you using by the way? How is the adhesion?
I used Minwax Gloss waterbased urethane. Adhesion is good.

Good luck and don't despair. Things often get worse before they get better.
Thanks for the support. I wish I was done though. I want to start on another one.

Meanwhile... I tried out the bridge pickup in my pickup demo tele. It sounds OK, but I think I'll wind another that's a bit hotter, and an overwound neck pickup as well. I'll strip wire from them 'til I get the tone I want.

gerg said:
Well let's make a trade then. You build me a Mosrite with a set neck, and I'll mix a song for you.
Mose's are cool, but I don't think I'll do copies anymore. I can't see doing all the work to make a guitar that someone else already builds.

I'm sure you know this but for others, you really have to be careful with what you put on top of what when finishing. Acrylics, enamels, nitro precat or otherwise, none of them mix well.... Test on scrap. There are a few dodges and if you use two different lacquer baeses then its good to use a shellac bond coat or similar between types... The waterborne was on the neck yes? What base is the colour coat and what did you put on top?

I'm going to be winding the HR build stuff soon. Be ready for questions..;)

The waterborne was on the neck yes? What base is the colour coat and what did you put on top?
The paint is oil based enamel, gloss safety red. On top I sprayed the aerosol version of the same urethane as on the neck. When I did the sample, I brushed it on, and it looked pretty good. That was what convinced me to get the aerosol. I'm committed now to using it. It won't be too bad. It dries fast, sands easily, and burns-in great. It will just take a while. When I built the mahogany guitar I experimented with it, and had nice results. I'm just going to brush it on, and sand it smooth repeatedly until I get a good build.

I'm going to be winding the HR build stuff soon. Be ready for questions..;)
Nice! I've got a couple hints for your winder that might be a help to you.

One Fender bass I rebuilt for a guy in the 70s, I used spray can polyurethane. Every now and then, I'd have to clean or replace the nozzles.
15-17 coats I believe. I did it the way he wanted.:rolleyes:

Personally, I would have used 4-5 coats. Always put clear over sunbursts.

Sanding between coats is always a PITA. :thumbs up:

I've been reading about this product, and this may be a good way of wiping on a finish clear coat:

System Three Clear Coat Finish - YouTube!

The guy says it stood up against 5 wash cycles in the dishwasher, highly doubt anyone would ever get their guitars into that situation.

I think I would really thin down the first coat, for deeper penetration.:eek:

But, you never know. I've repaired some shitty ones.;):cool:

Reactions: JCH
That looks interesting. I'd like to try it some time.

One of the advantages of epoxy base stuff is it will sick yo most things. One major disadvantage is that those I have tried are not that clear... I'd like to give it a try as it looks like it wood have good grain filling properties as well.

That might be a great product when working with something like spalted maple, or something that is highly figured, and difficult to machine. It could work as a high viscosity sanding sealer, or stabilizer. hmm...

Today I exchanged the can of clear for another. The new can worked much better. There's some hope for me yet.

I sanded the heavy build with 320 to make things smooth. The poly cut easily, and didn't plug the paper. I re-coated, sanded that with a 000 synthetic pad, and sprayed it again. It builds up pretty easily, so I might be finished with just a couple more coats. At this point I'm not setting my hopes too high, but it should look fine when I'm done. I'm relieved, but somewhat disappointed.

srfcstr42.jpg

Between being busy working, and frustration with the finish, I set this project aside for a while. I've come to the conclusion, and accepted that I'll never be satisfied with the results from the waterborne poly. I left a substantial build-up of the clear on it, so that hopefully I can polish it in the future.

Moving right along... I knocked together the bobbins for the pickups, and have them ready to wind. I decided to go a little different direction than I intended originally with some slightly hotter pickups, and at the same time try out some new wire I just got. (single build formvar)
srfcstr44.jpg

There's a ghost in the machine:eek:
srfcstr43.jpg

Meanwhile, I need some design help on the next project that I've already started. (attn. Milnoque)

Still Here
Cool, Thanks. There are three that I'm ready to get going on. One is a Bass for my Daughter. She wants one that resembles a Gibson RD. Another will be a non reverse Firebird I'm helping a friend with, and the third is a s type for me. I want to mimic the shape of this body. I need templates for all of them. I'd really appreciate any help you could offer.

There won't be any progress on my guitar this weekend. I'm off to San Diego for my nephews wedding.

Attachments

• ssstrat.jpg
    ssstrat.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 81
Back