Woodgrain

TL/DR except the OP.

No you are not alone. I'm completely fine with my black on white fender american J bass.

But honestly I can appreciate a good finish as well though and I do like the look of 10 top PRS guitars and custom luthier stuff. It's not the first thing I'm looking for in a guitar though (action, radius, balance, etc...)

And you said you like color. To me a silverburst is like a regular burst that's had the color bleached out of it.

I do, otoh, like what Epi calls their 'TV Silver'. That's cool as hell.

Didn't read everything - saw relicing, clownburst, etc - but come on... When you've got a sunburst finish isn't it just nice to see a decent grain under it? Unless, of course, it's silverburst - or any other kind of burst that's painted on (covering the wood grain) and not stained/dyed.

I'm biased, I'm not going to lie, but it's only because I'm a sunburst whore. Give me a strat with the old tobacco sunburst finish on it and I'm happy. (I'm a strat fan, too, sorry.) But, when it comes down to it, as many have already said, a guitar should be functional over anything else. If it is functional and has a nice grain under the burst (not all the fancy shit, just a good piece of alder, mahogany, etc) then it's both audibly and visually appealing.

I like wood.

I am not a wood bigot.

I like the grain. I like stain. I like paint.

Some of you are wood racists, and I am shocked that the moderators haven't stepped in yet.

Tsk, tsk.

Ooh, how cool would it be to have a guitar made of teak? Probably no good as a tone wood, but it would be beautiful.

Ooh, how cool would it be to have a guitar made of teak? Probably no good as a tone wood, but it would be beautiful.
Slightly related, I just saw body blank wood on StewMac that's knotty pine. Seeing Chili's bass build come along (where's that at, by the way?) has kind of been making me want to roll my own and the knotty pine was the cheapest they had - it also looked pretty neat. I've seen that the fender "modern player" line uses pine bodies so I'm thinking of taking the plunge. And leaving it au naturale, although slightly dyed to a butterscotch tint (when the time comes). Teak might not be that bad if you could find the right size chunk(s) to fit together for a body...

Here's one for you fans of wood, and guitars with "caster" in the name.

wangcaster-penis-guitar-1.jpg

Here's one for you fans of wood, and guitars with "caster" in the name.

wangcaster-penis-guitar-1.jpg

You've gotta get your strap to fit at just the right height with that one. And make sure that you know all your scales so that your hand can fly up and down the neck freely and quickly

Seeing Chili's bass build come along (where's that at, by the way?) has kind of been making me want to roll my own and

I've been out of the country the last coupla weeks. Fly home tomorrow and start back on it this weekend.

Thanks for asking.

Back