The New Tone Thread

Well...... I don't think I misremember but I don't care enough to look thru hundreds of pages to prove it one way or the other.

But what I remember is that he 'got the tones as good as he thought he would be able to with his homemade box but they were still boxy and he couldn't get that boxiness out of the tones' ..... that's what i remember.
He thought, as did the rest of us, that a pro cab would sound better.
It ended up sounding worse which made his homebuilt sound better at that point but that doesn't change the fact that prior to the Randall he was unable to get the boxiness out of his tones with the homebuilt.

I do remember him saying his homebuilt cab was really big but the Randall ended up being pretty big too.

But I feel like I definitely remember him not being satisfied with the sound of his cab.
I don't remember a single time back then where he said anything like, 'I think my cab sounds pretty good'.

Yeah, you could be right, I'm not so sure I remember myself now. :laughings:

Everybody's right guys!!!!!!:D

Home-made ISO cab:
It did ok, but I was always left wanting better. It wasn't really boxy after I finally did the "box in a box" thing, but it just didn't sound like a big cranked amp. That's why I have the 4x12 bastard cab right now, & I'm planning on either another 4x12, or maybe an oversized 2x12...

Randall ISO Cab:
There were (and still are) times I simply couldn't crank up, so I bought the Randall for late-night stuff (which is a hell of a lot smaller than the one I made btw), & I've never gotten anything I truly liked out of it. Even with post-eq in the daw, everything I could think of, it still sounds boxy....To me, the Randall sucks balls, I'd rather use an ampsim...

The outer dimensions for the home-made ISO cab were: 29"W x 36" D x 36" L, & I have no idea how much that fucker weighed, all I know is it took 2 pretty big boys to roll it off my porch, down a couple steps, into the back of a truck. That was the easy part, when we got where I'd moved to, it literally took everything we both had to wrestle that fuckin' thing out of his truck....Thankfully, I'd put wheels on that big bastard, or we'd still be up there trying to carry it in the house....:laughings:

The Randall ISO cab's outer dimensions are basically: 18"W x 18"L x 30" H and is about light enough for me to pick up pretty easily, even with a speaker & mic in it...

The Randall ISO isn't ported to the outside, it's just a hole about 4" in diameter in the speaker baffle....

So again, everybody's right!!!!:thumbs up:

Huh, I could've sworn it was ported to the outside which was why the attenuation wasn't so great. I stand corrected.

How did the attenuation of your cab compare to the Iso-box?

OK, so if you did a 3" gap on all sides including the top, what about the bottom? Is there anything in between the bottom of the inner box and the bottom of the outer box? How are they fastened together?

My ISO cab killed the noise quite a bit better than the Randall. I put 3" of Roxul on all sides of the outer box, then the inner box sat down inside. It wasn't super tight, but the Roxul was sandwiched between the boxes....Nothing held the 2 boxes together, it was just a box in a bigger box dude...

My ISO cab killed the noise quite a bit better than the Randall. I put 3" of Roxul on all sides of the outer box, then the inner box sat down inside. It wasn't super tight, but the Roxul was sandwiched between the boxes....Nothing held the 2 boxes together, it was just a box in a bigger box dude...

So you put Roxul on the inside bottom of the outer cab before you set the inner cab down inside, right?

I'll bet that was a pain to set the inner cab in there.

So you put Roxul on the inside bottom of the outer cab before you set the inner cab down inside, right?
Yeah dude, put the Roxul in first, then the inner box. You have to have the bottom covered before the inner box goes in (obviously), but you can work the side panels in between the boxes. I covered all my panels in fabric too, keeps the fibers from getting everywhere & all over your speaker/mic....

On the lid for the outer box, I measured & cut the Roxul to fit down inside, & doubled the thickness. I used a staple gun to hold it in place so it would be easy when opening the lid...When the top lid was closed & latched, it was a tight fit. Remember, sound is like water when you're trying to stop it. Any crack, little hole, any little crevice needs to be sealed somehow if at all possible.

I'll bet that was a pain to set the inner cab in there.
Nah, dude I've done hard, brute fuckin', back-breakin' work all my life. I've spent 25 years underground as a coal miner, in some of the most awful, nasty, mud/water, & lowest (some mines I worked in were 30" or less) places you could imagine dude. Putting the inner box in was pie compared to moving the whole thing into the house after I finished it. It had wheels, but I had to get it up about 5-6 steps from my carport to my porch. That was a bitch, no help, just little 'ol me...

absolutely no way I could do that or even go down in the thing just to see.

*** shudder ***

There isn't any mining like that done around here anymore Bob (fuck, they're ain't no mining done 'round here anymore...), but that used to be the normal thing for a man to make his living around here. I'm a 4th generation miner dude, my whole family has done it, my Dad, Grandpa's on both sides, plus their Dad's on both sides....It used to be a way of life around here...

The first job I had underground (actually my first "real" job legally, I worked for my Dad's boss outside illegally for a couple years because I wasn't old enough to be certified for underground work), began March 21, 1989. I turned 18 the previous November & the guy finally put me on the payroll. I'd been making $5/hour cash money, no check, no IRS, greenbacks... When they "officially" hired me, I made $6/hour, with no benefits at all, just a payday (with the wonderful world of being taxed), shoveling mud out from under a conveyor belt in a mine that was about 28-30" high, & was almost 4 miles deep...The last job I had I was making $28.75/hour, plus a bi-weekly production bonus, monthly attendance bonus, & decent insurance, running a 40-ton, 12' wide, 37 1/2' long remote controlled continuous miner, in a mine roughly 2 1/2 miles deep, about 48-52" high....

Coal mining is very different now than back then, they enforce the laws a hell of a lot more now, back then, it was an outlaw's paradise, which is how I was trained to mine coal. As a 15+ year continuous miner operator, I have been known to fracture an occasional law or two to make the company some $$$... Every company I ever worked for knew if coal wasn't coming off the belt outside, 99% of the time, it had not a damn thing to do with me because I would fuckin' lay it's ears back & let it roll...:D

Nowadays if you were to get caught doing some of the shit I did back then (up until Sago & Aracoma happened), you go to prison. Back in the day, the governments (state & federal) would just fine the company, & it wasn't really an issue because the fines weren't so big, & the companies would just pay 'em & keep doing it because the profits far outweighed the fines. But you do some of the shit now that I've done about all my life & get caught, you'll go to jail for a long time, & then owe anything else you make (if you ever get out of prison) because the fines are personal & on the individual now. Just one of the fines I was personally subjected to all day, everyday at work was $250,000 if I did my job wrong & they caught it, whether accidentally or on purpose, didn't matter, the federal mine inspectors have been headhunting since Sago...Some of the newer laws are good, & protect us, but 99% of 'em just ran a big dick up our asses because they've got politicians making laws for mining, that don't know jack shit about it. Most of the guys who make these laws are pencil pushers that an honest day's work would fuckin' kill....

Sorry for the off-topic rant here guys, the closing of all these mines around here is a big, big issue to me, & everybody around here. Lots of people are losing everything they have because of the dumb-asses making the laws & running this country...I'm not political at all, in fact, I've never even registered to vote, & refuse to. I personally despise 100% of 'em because to me, there's not one of 'em worth voting for, because they're all fuckin' crooks & the way the working man actually gets fucked over, while they all get rich....sorry, but yes I'm one pissed off hillbilly over all this bullshit & trust me, I'm not alone...:mad:

And don't even get me started on the younger generation of coal miners (I personally don't consider 'em coal miners myself) either....I've seen so many of 'em do so many stupid things, even after us experienced guys would tell 'em not to...just pure dumb-asses :facepalm:...

Again, sorry for the fuckin' novel I wrote here & going off-topic, but I at least feel better now....:laughings:

Can a few of you regulars just clear something up for me. I don't want to get into the physics of it and too in depth but I just want to confirm the following.

I tend to try and record my guitars with my display on the TonePort showing about -7. If I turn the amp up, I turn the mic down to compensate so everything is coming in at about this level. Is this the right approach? I do the same when recording from sims.

I use -7 'cos it seems to be about the right level and I'm sure I read somewhere that it was a good idea.

Yes, as the amp goes louder you'll need to turn the mic pre down to maintain whatever level you want your signal coming in at.

I read that a while back - good BUT it was a little overwhelming in parts & I didn't try the experiment.

Cheers, in that case I will try and dial it back a bit as I tend to go for -7 at the moment.

Cheers, in that case I will try and dial it back a bit as I tend to go for -7 at the moment.

It depends on how your meters are calibrated and shit, but -7 is getting a little warm. I personally don't track that hot, but with 24 bit digital it's not the end of the world if you do. I'll let rogue transients jump up that high without worrying about it, but I won't usually track that hot on average. I usually aim for around -12, but I'm not a nazi about it. -14, -10, it's all the same to me. To me the best thing about tracking at reasonable levels is it makes mixing easier, and some plug ins work better with a more "analog" level signal.

Back