G string Issues... Or any kind of string....

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
My g string on my Epi LP doesn't stay in tune for very long.

I mean most of the strings kinda come unglued but i mean i can crank out 15 16 songs before i they bite it. But the G in particular really goes quickly. It's been like this since i bought it and the sales guys (a friend) says it is just one of those things cause it is an Epi?

I have tried lots of other brands of strings and stuff, and so far i have had really good luck with Gibson brand strings. They all stay in tune really well...

Except G.

whats is this indicative of ?

Do i have to tighten something? Replace something?

?

First, determine where the string(s) break: pull it back from the bridge towards the peg head, how far does the broken string extend? The fret closest to the break may be catching the string. Also look at the nut and saddle(s). You may have a burr(s) or such on either, when you tune the string(s), it gets dragged past that burr, weaking it. A little graphite on all those points will help lots.

If they break at the tuner, look for a sharp edge at the holes the strings run thru. This is rare, but if it's there, only thing to do is to replace tuners.

All this assumes you are not a wild man and rough on your strings.

Make sure you have the string wrapped on 'properly', and the tuning peg is nice and 'tight', meaning if it has the 3/8" nut on top it's snug, and the screw(s) on the back are snug. Next, with no string on that peg just yet, count how many turns you do before the top does a 360˚ on you. If it's something like 15:1 then you have a very good tuning peg. Cheap guitars may have only a 12:1 gear ratio or less. If you have a good tuning peg, it's likely how you are wrapping the string on the peg itself. When the string leaves the nut, it should go at about a 14˚ angle to the tuning peg. I think it's 14˚ anyway. Old Les Pauls were 17˚ for the peghead angle, but I know they changed that because of all the broken pegheads. But I thought they changed it back and use a thicker neck stock, so don't go by what I say. Just look over your peghead angle, and wrap the strings on nice and securely with enough turns to get that downward angle. That cause enough tension and shouldn't let the string slip as easily.

First, determine where the string(s) break: pull it back from the bridge towards the peg head, how far does the broken string extend? The fret closest to the break may be catching the string. Also look at the nut and saddle(s). You may have a burr(s) or such on either, when you tune the string(s), it gets dragged past that burr, weaking it. A little graphite on all those points will help lots.

If they break at the tuner, look for a sharp edge at the holes the strings run thru. This is rare, but if it's there, only thing to do is to replace tuners.

All this assumes you are not a wild man and rough on your strings.

They weren't breaking. Just coming out of tune at an abnormal rate. Thanks guys.

My G strings don't go out of tune at any different rate than any of my other strings. I can't imagine why yours would.

Also, I can't believe the salesmen told you the equivalent of "they all do that" because they don't. Not if everything is working as it is supposed to. There could be some specific issue such as a bad tuning machine or faulty nut or string saddle. But before you get into that, I'd suggest that the next time you change sets, stretch the crap out of that thing. And make sure you're getting it on the tuning post properly.

My G strings don't go out of tune at any different rate than any of my other strings. I can't imagine why yours would.

Also, I can't believe the salesmen told you the equivalent of "they all do that" because they don't. Not if everything is working as it is supposed to. There could be some specific issue such as a bad tuning machine or faulty nut or string saddle. But before you get into that, I'd suggest that the next time you change sets, stretch the crap out of that thing. And make sure you're getting it on the tuning post properly.

I usually try to stretch them but it doesn't seem to make one bit of difference. Its been doing it since i got it. (four years ago) which wasn't a big deal but now i find that i am making (some) headway with recording from home it's slowing the process and grating at me.

How do you stretch the crap out them Zaph? Maybe i am doing it wrong? I just put it on and tune it way high up leave it for a few mins loosen it and tighten it way up again... i'll do this a few times for each one?

Make sure you have the string wrapped on 'properly', and the tuning peg is nice and 'tight', meaning if it has the 3/8" nut on top it's snug, and the screw(s) on the back are snug. Next, with no string on that peg just yet, count how many turns you do before the top does a 360˚ on you. If it's something like 15:1 then you have a very good tuning peg. Cheap guitars may have only a 12:1 gear ratio or less. If you have a good tuning peg, it's likely how you are wrapping the string on the peg itself. When the string leaves the nut, it should go at about a 14˚ angle to the tuning peg. I think it's 14˚ anyway. Old Les Pauls were 17˚ for the peghead angle, but I know they changed that because of all the broken pegheads. But I thought they changed it back and use a thicker neck stock, so don't go by what I say. Just look over your peghead angle, and wrap the strings on nice and securely with enough turns to get that downward angle. That cause enough tension and shouldn't let the string slip as easily.

The gear ratio on a tuner is not important as far as stability goes. Even cheap tuners stay in tune. Strings do not slip on the tuner post as long as you have one and a half to two and half turns. The break angle is not important and will not impact tuning stability as long as the fixed point is at the edge of the nut.

My g string on my Epi LP doesn't stay in tune for very long.

I mean most of the strings kinda come unglued but i mean i can crank out 15 16 songs before i they bite it. But the G in particular really goes quickly. It's been like this since i bought it and the sales guys (a friend) says it is just one of those things cause it is an Epi?

I have tried lots of other brands of strings and stuff, and so far i have had really good luck with Gibson brand strings. They all stay in tune really well...

Except G.

whats is this indicative of ?

Do i have to tighten something? Replace something?

?

The most common reason for tuning instability is strings sticking in the nut slot. Is it a wound or unwound G string?

The guy in the shop is a talking bull.

For one string only to be a problem it has to be related to that string and it's fixing points. They are the tuner the nut and the saddle. You can discount the tuner as it is so rare as to be inconsequential. It's most likely the nut slut however the G string is often the worst of them all.

The most common reason for tuning instability is strings sticking in the nut slot. Is it a wound or unwound G string?

The guy in the shop is a talking bull.

For one string only to be a problem it has to be related to that string and it's fixing points. They are the tuner the nut and the saddle. You can discount the tuner as it is so rare as to be inconsequential. It's most likely the nut slut however the G string is often the worst of them all.
You missed your opportunity to recommend talcum powder.

I think you've fallen off your game. :p

Yeah lube the nut. Epi nuts are cheap plastic and strings stick. I had an old Epi a while back that did the exact same thing. G-string only. Sometimes the B. I shot a little tiny poof of graphite lube powder on the nut and all was well.

How do you stretch the crap out them Zaph?

You don't need to "stretch the crap out them", just moderate stretching will do.

Do the initial tuning. Then pull each string out away from the body an inch or so. You'll be able to "feel" how far to pull it...you don't have to stretch it too much. Then retune.

After that, stretch when you first pick up the guitar, then tune. For me, if I'm playing at least every other day, after two or three stretchings they will stay in tune almost forever.

FWIW: I use Markley Blue Steel, although I've had the same results with just about every string I've used over the last 20 years...(both sets...;))

How do you stretch the crap out them Zaph?

You don't need to "stretch the crap out them", just moderate stretching will do.

Do the initial tuning. Then pull each string out away from the body an inch or so. You'll be able to "feel" how far to pull it...you don't have to stretch it too much. Then retune.

After that, stretch when you first pick up the guitar, then tune. For me, if I'm playing at least every other day, after two or three stretchings they will stay in tune almost forever.

FWIW: I use Markley Blue Steel, although I've had the same results with just about every string I've used over the last 20 years...(both sets...;))
You forgot to say YMMV. I've been doing this for something like.... 43 years.

The way I bend my strings when I play (electric), if i don't give 'em some good, hard yanks, then it's not enough. Different on acoustic, though.

Epi uses Cambodian jawbones from the Pol-Pot era exclusively.
:laughings:

Horrible, but funny!

I recently re-strung my tenor guitar, tuned the highest string- an 0.10- to "a" and then realized I hadn't stretched the string. Grabbed it, "moderatly" stretched it, and it promptly popped!

You do NOT want to stretch a .010 tuned to "a." Trust me on this one. Just leave it alone- or de-tune a semi-tone or two.

Back