Cubase LE limitations

chrisredding

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has felt restricted by LE at all?

I have studied the version comparison PDF a few times over the past 6 months and I reckon Cubase SL is all I would ever need. Advanced notation and surround mixing aren't things I'm interested in, hence ruling out SX. And Cubase SE seemed like it could be a bit limiting in terms of track count/inserts/VSTs than SL. But now I've got LE (for free) I'm pretty sure I could achieve anything I want with it. I also suspect that the limitations LE imposes could very well be a good thing, forcing me to be creative with the solutions I develop.

I'm not a complete novice either. I've been using Notator for the ST for 10 years+ and used Nuendo at college. So I feel I know a fair bit about the full 'toolkit' that is available in more advanced software.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, or if it's even got one. I'm just thinking out loud. I know it reads like a bloke trying to justify not spending £250 on some software, but, once I've bought Reason, probably the next peice of software on my list is Cubase SL... Confused

Cheers

Chris

if SE is working for you, why spend money on something else? The question should be, "Do YOU feel limited by SE?".

Last edited:
Only thing it's limited me on so far is just the limit of 4 tracks at a time recording.. Screwy thing to give you with a 16 channel recording mixer if ya ask me...

--
Rob

yea, but you gotta remember it's free. it's way better than nothing, which is what alot of interfaces come with. hell, when I bought my 1010LT, it came with ableton live lite, which never even worked! it said my registration number was'nt corret and m-audio claimed that there was nothing they could do.

Posted by Crash ©
Only thing it's limited me on so far is just the limit of 4 tracks at a time recording..
No offense Crash, but that's wrong. I have Cubase LE and a firepod and I've recorded 8 tracks a time. LE will record as many track (up to 48) as you have inputs.

Someone in the newbie forum said this same thing a while back, even though Steinberg says 4 ins/outs at a time. Wierd.

Pete

You're correct, but...

hotwatertim72 said:
No offense Crash, but that's wrong. I have Cubase LE and a firepod and I've recorded 8 tracks a time. LE will record as many track (up to 48) as you have inputs.
That's only true with versions 1.0.7 and the new 1.0.9 - the version shipped last year from June to this January was 1.0.8 - only supports 4 simultaneous inputs.

1.0.9 only supports 8.

Jay

vicenzajay said:
That's only true with versions 1.0.7 and the new 1.0.9 - the version shipped last year from June to this January was 1.0.8 - only supports 4 simultaneous inputs.

1.0.9 only supports 8.

Jay

just curious. how did you find that info?

Travis

Straight from Jonathan and Chad Kelly at Presonus...they are currently taking delivery of LE 1.0.9 from Steinberg with which to bundle their products - this version will offer 8 simultaneous inputs (thus supporting the Firepod's capabilities a bit better).

I wound up just buying SE from them in order to avoid the problem completely....now I'll need to upgrade to SE3 and I should be set.

Jay

You guys seem to be talking about two different products, am I right?
Cubase SE, which comes only bundled with hardware, and Cubase LE which sells for $99, and the product literature says can record 48 tracks...

amra said:
You guys seem to be talking about two different products, am I right?
Cubase SE, which comes only bundled with hardware, and Cubase LE which sells for $99, and the product literature says can record 48 tracks...

Correction LE comes bundled and SE is $99.00 ;)

Hi,
I just received a Presonus Firepod (here in the netherlands).
Next week I'll go and config the stuff with my band.
Drums: Yamaha DTxpress III Special
Guitar: Boss v-amp (line out)
Bass: SWR (line out)
Behringer headphone amp.

Question:
In the Firepod package is Cubase LE version 1.07.
Does anybody know this is the right LE version for recent ordering?

I'll post my experiences after a while...
Edit/Delete Message

Is fine...it will support more simultaneous inputs than 1.08. Please don't "upgrade" to 1.08...you'll be frustrated. Your product should support your Firepod well - just remember to activate all your VST Inputs.

Jay

thnx Jay.
Does anybody know whether my Firepod with LE 1.07, supports recording simultaneous (live) the following (band) setting?
yamaha DTxpress => 2 inputs (stereo)
guitar => 1 input (via line-out from a v-amp)
bass => 1 input (via line-out from an amp)
2x vocals => 2 inputs

Back