sonar 3 crashes, crashes and crashes

tombuur

This has been my first full day working with Sonar 3. And it's been full of problems. Maybe started when I registered vSampler. Then later it wouldn't open any soft synths without immediate crash.

Somehow I got it to work though, but then tracks wouldn't start playing or recording. The "cursor" was moving alright but there would be no sound or recording. Typically it would take two attempts to get it started. Then it would even record and confidently show the wave, but retain nothing.

So I rebooted. Now it retained what was recorded. But suddenly it was crash again. Always a so-called RPC error. Remote Program something.

It is beginning to look like a harddisk reformat, install of Sonar 2.2 and a wait for Sonar 3.1 to appear. And I was looking forward to a week of vacation with Sonar 3 among other things. Aaarrghh.

what's your OS? what kind of computer?

your probably should reformat but you don't need to go back to sonar 2.2, you should be able to install 3 and after a clean reinstall it should work fine...

Win XP
Intel Pentium 4 2.5 GHz
Asus board
1GB RAM
80 GB harddisk
Delta 66
Roland SC-D70 (through USB) used as a sound module only
Onboard soundcard used for extra midi i/o only

BTW is there anything like Norton Systemworks that can be recommended for a DAW? It of course must be a program that only runs on demand, not one lurking in the background and possibly interfering. Ive done everything to stay clear of that. I also only access the Internet for registrations and updates, like I did with vSampler today.

RPC? I believe that's a virus that was going around a couple months ago. It targetted your PCs Remote Procedure Call service. Are you getting a small window annoucing Windows' intent to shut down in 60 seconds (or something like that)? If so, git yerself over to the microsoft website and download the fix.

tombuur said:
Win XP
Intel Pentium 4 2.5 GHz
Asus board
1GB RAM
80 GB harddisk
Delta 66
Roland SC-D70 (through USB) used as a sound module only
Onboard soundcard used for extra midi i/o only

BTW is there anything like Norton Systemworks that can be recommended for a DAW? It of course must be a program that only runs on demand, not one lurking in the background and possibly interfering. Ive done everything to stay clear of that. I also only access the Internet for registrations and updates, like I did with vSampler today.

with that setup you should have no problem running norton system works i do it myself i have a dual athlon mp 1900+ and i do all my net surfing on the same computer...if you have a good mobo...which it looks like you do since asus has a good rep shouldn't be a problem at all...

Yeah, it all looks fine, except Sonar 3 crashes. And before that started I had done all I could to keep disk and programs in shape to avoid problems. So how can I even be sure a reformat with installation of several programs, driver updates etc., will not end in new crashes?

I heard Vsampler registration was fucking shit up all over the place. SOmething wrong with it.
Its not Sonar 3, though... it has to be the most stable non-crashing audio program I have ever seen. I now have over 60 hours behind Sonar 3, over 25 songs tracked, more than 20 mixed, and still not one crash yet, not a lockup, nothing but solid faith building love.
It doesnt even drop out as much as 2.2
Very nice stuff indeed.

Did vSampler send me a virus/worm when I registered?

It all started after that and now I am getting these crashes even when not running anything. Might have been like this all the time, but I was busy with Sonar, naturally, shortly after registering.

I did a net scan on the error message, and there is a virus out there causing something like this. I deliberately have no virus protection on my music computer to avoid interference. So I never access the Internet, except on occasions like registering or updating drivers.

Hi Tombuur,

RPC, Remote Procedure Calls, are a standard part of all flavours of Windows. Sonar uses RPC's to communicate with it's subcomponents, I highly doubt whether you have a virus.

There have, however, been a number of reports about weird Sonar 3.0 behaviour for people who have upgraded from 2.xx. The fix that Cakewalk are recommending is to either edit you AUD.INI file to remove everything below the driver information, or simply rename it to AUD.INI.OLD and then re-open Sonar. This makes Sonar reparse your hardware and seems to resolve those weird dropouts and glitches.

Worked for me anyway...

:) Q.

Thanks, I will try all the advice I get today.

First, I did not have the virus causing the same thing to happen. Downloaded a script to kill it, but it wasn't there. Anyway, at the moment I am doing an online Win XP update which looks like a process lasting 1-2 hours? Also I have been downtown getting a 200GB external USB drive so that I can back up everything in case of a reformat.

Another thing I can't get to work is networking my two computers. Sometimes I spend a couple of hours, finding tips and tricks on the Internet, and then I finally get them to speak to each other. Next time around they won't talk to each other again. It's like, well he got us to talk, but we'll show him it aint that easy pushing us. So an external harddrive is easy. Just plug it in and it runs. Could be useful for making music too at some stage.

tombuur said:
Anyway, at the moment I am doing an online Win XP update which looks like a process lasting 1-2 hours?
You haven't installed Service Pack 1? It's recommended you do that first (it takes some time, it's an over 100 MB download, but it's worth it).

If you haven't already read this! :)

Qwerty said:
...There have, however, been a number of reports about weird Sonar 3.0 behaviour for people who have upgraded from 2.xx. The fix that Cakewalk are recommending is to either edit you AUD.INI file to remove everything below the driver information, or simply rename it to AUD.INI.OLD and then re-open Sonar. This makes Sonar reparse your hardware and seems to resolve those weird dropouts and glitches.

Worked for me anyway...

Could you please go back a bit here and review the up-grade path options? I thought it was said that sonar 3 would (or could) be installed next to the version of 2.x on the same pc (as opposed to it being an 'up-grade' of 2.
Would it be beter to uninstall 2.x first?
Wayne

Remote Procedure Call Service settings

My PC had that virus. Symptoms were severe sluggishness and consistent reboots. My Remote Procedure Call Service was set to restart the PC after 1 minute if the service failed. I don't know if the virus set it that way. I changed it to take no action then got rid of the virus. I just checked it and it has been set back to restart after 1 minute. Does anyone know if that is the correct setting? Any harm in setting it to a less drastic action than restarting the PC?

mixsit said:
Could you please go back a bit here and review the up-grade path options? I thought it was said that sonar 3 would (or could) be installed next to the version of 2.x on the same pc (as opposed to it being an 'up-grade' of 2.
Would it be beter to uninstall 2.x first?
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

You are correct Sonar 2.xx and 3.0 can live on the same machine happily. You do not need to uninstall 2.xx first.

The problem I described is detailed on the Cakewalk support site as being a fix for people experiencing the problem - not a generic issue which all upgraders are experiencing.

Don't worry - it is all cool, Sonar 3.0 is way cool and won't eat New York.

Service Pack 1?

I installed Windows XP and updated over the net. Repeated that yesterday. Isn't that good enough, or do I need to specifically use the Servica Pack 1 for something.

Yesterday it took a couple of hours for windows to give itself a workout. It left an empty folder with a long 5k65k99p8... kind of name which was hard to get rid of (wouldn't let me). Also there were 9 errors after that piece of work according to Norton Systemworks (none before). Don't Microsoft run Norton to see what mess their updates leave behind?

I didn't have the Blaster virus. But in the process of ruling this out I too left the Remote Service Call to take no action, and like EddieRay I wonder if that is healthy.

Since this and the Windows update I have had no problems, but I have only used the PC for a couple of hours. And you never know when disaster strikes with Windows.

tombuur said:
Service Pack 1?

I installed Windows XP and updated over the net. Repeated that yesterday. Isn't that good enough, or do I need to specifically use the Servica Pack 1 for something.
In theory, yes. But when you calculate the time used SP1 vs Windows Update, Service Pack 1 is the fastest (and most reliable) way to do it.

But SP1 is getting old... so you have to run Windows Update anyway.

IT'S A VIRUS !!!!

Its ugly name is W32.HLLW.Gaobot

Spent all day yesterday working on this, and there is still plenty to do. Later yesterday not only my music computer had this "RPC problem", my main computer also got it. On the main computer I run Norton Antivirus which the virus had cleverly deactivated. Any new installation of Norton was also impossible. So I reformatted only to see the virus hit again as soon as I got on the net. I did, however, manage to start a virus scan before it deactivated Norton again.

During all day I had tried various online help and online virus scannings to no avail. McAffee's stinger didn't find this virus as an example.

My music computer got infected as soon as I went online to register vSampler. My first thought was, naturally, that the vSampler site might have sent me the virus. They did after all take a look at my computer hardware to find a registration code. So they were deep into my system. But after the incident with reinfection on my main computer, I am leaning more towards thinking that the virus comes from my Internet provider.

The question now is what to do with my music computer. I would like a total reformat. Unfortunately, I'd then have to go online to register a couple of programs (including windows updates) with the risk of getting infected again. After this virus interlude I'd rather keep my music computer completely off the net.

... If you don't hear from me for a couple of days you can guess the reason.

Re: Remote Procedure Call Service settings

EddieRay said:
My PC had that virus. Symptoms were severe sluggishness and consistent reboots. My Remote Procedure Call Service was set to restart the PC after 1 minute if the service failed. I don't know if the virus set it that way. I changed it to take no action then got rid of the virus. I just checked it and it has been set back to restart after 1 minute. Does anyone know if that is the correct setting? Any harm in setting it to a less drastic action than restarting the PC?

I believe this is the blaster virus. I had to redo my computer this weekend, and after only a couple of minutes on the internet I got the dasterdly rpc pop up window. fortunately I had the blaster fix stored on another computer, from the first time it reared it's ugly head. You can go to the Symantec web site, if you have an uninfected computer, and download all sorts of virus fixes.

I was still having problems after this situation with Sonar 2.2 having dropouts. So I ran Norton Ghost "Gdisk32" with the "mbr" switch whaich is supposed to reinitilize the boot sector in case a virus is lodged in there. The mbr did make things run alilttle smoother, but it took me raising my latency to 63.9...some ungodly number, to get rid of the drops.

I was getting drops while tracking with nothing else playing. I don't get it?

dana

Well, my virus is gaobot.ao, not blaster. Got it again twice since the last post. Isn't installing Windows again enough, doing a quick reformat, or could there still be something hiding on the disk?

It defeated Norton Antivirus which at one stage had found the virus, identified but was to impotent to kill it. The a few minutes later the virus killed Norton instead. Now I have installed Norton Internet Security. But already while registering the product there was the famous RPC count down. Does that mean Norton hasn't even thought of securing the registering process? It is stupid you buy a new antivirus program, but until you have downloaded new definitions you are not protected. There should be someway already in the installation to attach the most recent definitions, perhaps downloaded from a safe computer.

Back