sonar 3 crashes, crashes and crashes

Moskus,
The removal instructions don't work. They tell you to end some processes in the task manager. But you can't. So much for Norton's advice.

I am writing this from my music computer just before doing a complete reformat. My main computer is installing Windows for the 7th time. Last time I got it to work with Norton Internet Security. But there was no way I could get my USB ports to work properly, whether that be Norton interfering or something else, so I can't get my backed up files intro the PC.

Before I get to negative about Symantec software, I must admit they also saved my ass today. In one of now 8 installations of windows I by mistake got my backup harddisk and a jetflash unformatted. Norton utilities quckly idenfied the two drive and asked med if those were the ones to restore. It worked. Losing all that data would have been a disaster.

Not to be nasty but are you working with legit copies of Windows and Symantec? If not, there in could be your problem.

Yes, I am. In fact I even have double license to Norton Antivirus because the old one hadn't expired when I bought the new 2004 version in the hope that it was an improved version.

Software.jpg

Last edited:
The RPC problem is a security problem of Windows (XP, 98, 2000, etc.). Even if you reinstall it, the problem will still be there. After reinstalling Windows, remeber to run the Windows Update thing, so you can get the patch to fix that problem. Update your Windows first (and IE and all the stuff mentioned as 'critical'), and then you install the antivirus.

A little advice: put a firewall on your PC. Antivirus can't do much by itself, and the one that comes with Norton AV is crap. Get Zone Alarm at http://www.zonelabs.com, it's free and is the best firewall you can get!

BloodShark said:
Antivirus can't do much by itself, and the one that comes with Norton AV is crap.
Norton AV doesen't come with a firewall, but Norton Internet Security does... ;) :D

Anyway, ZoneLabs really is a good firewall. But if you have XP, that built in firewall really works. ;)

At the moment I use Norton Internet Security that I bought yesterday. Though, after initial bad experience I turned on Windows firewall while registering and getting virus definitions. Then shifted to Norton's firewall. Funny, they haven't thought of the security weakness you are exposed to until having registered and got updates. The manual tells you to turn off Windows firewall for Norton to work. So what do you do before installing?

Anyway, I need a firewall for Windows ME, expecting my wife's labtop to be infected too. So I will take a look at that link to zonelab, although I couldn't get through the first couple of times. Also I guess I will just use Windows firewall for my music computer, since it will go even less online after these incidents.

... and yes, I had no firewall turned on. Just learned about that feature recently. Windows ought to turn it on by default.

Don't forget, the Windows firewall only helps with attacks coming from the outside. ZoneAlarm and others do that, too, but also warn when programs are trying to tunnel OUT of your machine. A significant point when dealing with virus and trojans.

Back