To Choose a DP-24

Be nice guys, it's all personal preference, and very subjective. Everyone has different experiences with gear. Now, my question. The combo inputs are XLR/1/4" TRS. When you want to say record a steteo backing track to two tracks, and you have two TS 1/4" outs, can you use TS in the inputs? If not, how could you record the tracks in stereo? If you combined the two outs with a TRS adapter, routing say input A to a stereo track, it would still be mono, wouldn't it? I'm new to this stuff, but "get" it when explained. A little help!!!
Thanks, Keith

Be nice guys, it's all personal preference, and very subjective. Everyone has different experiences with gear. Now, my question. The combo inputs are XLR/1/4" TRS. When you want to say record a steteo backing track to two tracks, and you have two TS 1/4" outs, can you use TS in the inputs? If not, how could you record the tracks in stereo? If you combined the two outs with a TRS adapter, routing say input A to a stereo track, it would still be mono, wouldn't it? I'm new to this stuff, but "get" it when explained. A little help!!!
Thanks, Keith
You'd want to use two TS (one each, L and R) from the device to two inputs on the DP-24. You would assign one input to the L track and the other to the R track. For example, I have a keyboard ... I take the Left to input G, Right to input H, then assign input G to track 23, input H to track 24. The DP-24 assembles this into a stereo track internally, the result being stereo track 23/24. You could use TRS cables if you wanted, it wouldn't make any difference in how things are input and assigned, though.

Thanks Rustyaxe, I thought that was the case, but couldn't find the answer anywhere. So, if I input both into a trs, and into one input, it would still come out stereo if routed to a stereo track? I think that's what you meant, but as long as there's no problem using two ts's into two inputs, that sounds easier. I too wanted to use L and R outputs from a keyboard that is unbalanced ts l and r.
Thanks, Keith

Thanks Rustyaxe, I thought that was the case, but couldn't find the answer anywhere. So, if I input both into a trs, and into one input, it would still come out stereo if routed to a stereo track? I think that's what you meant
No, that's not at all what I meant. The DP-24 has no single stereo input, they're all mono, as they should be. If you want a stereo track on the DP-24 you must take separate left and right signals from your instrument/device to two separate inputs on the DP-24, each of which is assigned to one of the two stereo tracks in a stereo pair. If your device or instrument has a stereo (TRS) output you could use that, but you'd have to split it on the DP-24 side to two separate inputs as above (using a stereo Y-cable). I do just that with my iPod and iPad.

but as long as there's no problem using two ts's into two inputs, that sounds easier. I too wanted to use L and R outputs from a keyboard that is unbalanced ts l and r.
Thanks, Keith

Device left channel ---> input G ----> assign G to track 23
Device Right channel -> input H ----> assign H to track 24

That's it.

Okay, so I'm not as smart as I thought,LOL! So basically, if I want to use a atreilo track, and I use say, inputs a, and b, I'd send one side of my stereo device into a , and one to b, and assign them both to say 23/24. So, would I pan input a hard left, and b hard right? And we've already determined that if what I'm inputting has two TS outs, I can input using simple Tip Sleeve instrument cables, they Do NOT have to be balanced TPS at the inputs? Correct? Please bear with me, I'm 52, and I haven't touched a mixer since 1997. And you call yourself rustyaxe, haha, Im so rusty, I should chamge my name to corroded strings!!!
Thanks for the help bro!

Right, the cables, connection and routing are as you say. Left signal input routed to 23, the other to track 24. The left/right stereo mix takes place internally, you don't need to even think about it. No, don't pan anything, in fact, you technically can't pan an input, only a track, and if you notice on the mixer screen that stereo tracks aren't "panned", they are "balanced". (Look at the screen text label for the pan function, it says "BALANCE" and compare that to channel 12 (a mono channel) where the label says PAN.

Rustyaxe, you've been very nice to help my old technically challenged ass, so while not trying ro take your kindness for granted, could you help me with a decision, and answer one more question? Q: if I use outboard effects, can I add dynamics, and delay/reverb to individual tracks during mixdown? I know the onboard effects only work pre, and post input, and during"mastering"? Second part, I am eventually going to get a computer with everything I need for a DAW for editing tracks, and adding vsts. However, I keep getting different answers as to what the computer has to have, so I was thinking of buyong a Yamaha MX61, Keyboard/workstation for instruments until I can afford a computer that will not only make the MX one of the best B3 emulators out there, but needs the DAW to get the drawbars, and the YC-B3 software, and cubase included, to work with the keyboard. However, the keyboard, even without the DAW has over 1000 sounds from Yamaha's motif engine, and would allow me to record entire drmos with just the DP24, and the MX61. Then, when I get the money for the "right" computer, it will solve the effects during mixdown issue, and almost double the already incredible capabilities of the MX 61. Or, should I just wait, get a computer, and a inexpensive controller, and use all VSTs, and Vis. I figured I could get more done sooner with the keyboard, then once I'm proficient at getting the most out if the DP, MX, and my $12000.00 guitar rig, which I'd mic, then go for the best PC I can to add to both units? I know that's a lot to take in, but unless you are one of the many who say an off the shelf laptop, with an i5 or i7 chip, 8gigs of ram, a decent video/soundcard, and a 1 tb hdd will work with lots of plug ins, then I'd likely be able to afford the laptop, and decent controller. It would have 2 usb 2.0, 2-3 usb 3.0, hdmi for a second 17" monitor, and an external ssd, and a card reader. I think I can get all that for $750, less the ssd, which would be about $150-200. I know, too much, read it in peices, LOL. I'd really appreciate your opinion, if you can understand the above mess.
Thanks bro', Keith

I'd also like to address an issue about the DP24 that DebErny brought up earlier in thus thread, and I've seen almist the exact same post on every forum about the crappy warranty. I agree it is a horrible warranty. However, I purchased my DP24 at Sam Ash, out the door (tax included) for $488.00, and because I paid under $500.00 for it, it qualified for a 100% coverage, two year, in store replacement warranty. No small print, no BS. If anything goes wrong with my DP for 2 years, I simply take it to Ash, and they give me a brand new, not refurbished unit. This cost me $63.00, and considering that Teac will charge you $139.00 just to find the problem after 90 days, I'd say that being a guy who gets sick of answering," No, I don't want your extended warranty!", that it was the smartest $63 I've ever spent. So, while that vast majority of DP24-32 owners have had no issues that a firmware update didn't correct, do yourself a favor if you decide on buying this unit. Get it from a place with an ironclad, and resonably priced extended warranty, then you'll be worry free as far as Teac's unbelievably crappy warranty goes!
peace, and happy recording, Keith

Keith, outboard FX gets a little tricky, but it's easy enough to do. First, you cannot use outboard FX as a "dynamic effect" in the sense of Tascam's meaning (ie, applied to the input signal before recording anything). You can't apply an external FX to the input before it hits the track. This is not a problem, it's the way most MTRs and mixers work with external FX. You need to run a TRS from the Effects Send jack on the back of the DP24 to the input of your FX processor. Then from the output of the processor back to an open input on the DP24. That input should be assigned to a separate track. So here's the signal chain ... source-->input B-->track 1-->Send 2-->processor input-->processor output-->input G-->track 12 ... your "clean" signal is on track 1, your processed signal on track 12.

I like the MX61, great Motif sounds, and none of the sequencer stuff that I don't need (or want to pay for). Unless you feel confident you can understand and deal with all the software issues you will undoubtedly encounter with a DAW and virtual instruments I'd suggest the keyboard and get crackin' on your recordings. You'd be 95% of the way ... and I'm sure you can get very acceptable results with the DAW and VSTs. As you gain experience you'll know what you can and can't do, and whether you need to go to a DAW. What you do is your decision, of course, and others will strongly urge you toward the computer and DAW. I am NOT one of those. When the technology gets in the way of the art I pull the plug.

I use Reaper on a newer iMac, but do minimal editing (it's capable of nearly everything any high priced DAW can do).

Thanks again Rusty, and I agree with you, as so many try to push me in the DAW direction, which for editing, and effects, it does get you a bit furthur, but I may have used the wrong terms, your description of how to effect already recorded tracks seemed possible using outboard effects, and inputing into an unrecorded track, while many were saying the only way to compress say, a snare after it was recorded, was to send it to a DAW, which to even a newbie to digital mtrs just seemed wrong. I think my decision for now, is to get the MX61, start learning the music making capabilities of the DP, with an outboard compressor, and good multi effects unit, and once I've reached the capabilities of that, then I'll get into editing in Reaper, as I've read a great deal about it, and it seems great, considering all you pay is a $60 license fee. Thanks, you think like I do, but with a great deal more knowledge, so you've heloed me make my decision. I'm gonna pick up the MX this weekend, and start making music instead of stressing over which computer I can't afford right now! I found a great deal on a new MX, I unboxed just yesterday, so that's what I'm gonna do!!!! With my flat, sterile DP 24, LOL.

Peace, and thank you so very much for your time, Keith

Postecutioner,

Have you considered midi with the MX61 and the DP-24?

I have been syncing the dp24 to a boss drum machine and a microKorg. (Im really a guitar player, but I like the microKorg.)

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the MX61, but by syncing the clocks you can sync the lfos, appregiator, etc.. to the tempo and keep them synced across overdubs.

you might want to get a midi cable too.

Yes, I think that's a good idea, even though the midi ports are purely for clock on the DP, it certainly would help keep the drums synced to the internal clock on the recorder. Just another reason to go with my decision to get the MX first, and then save for the MAC daddy( bad pun intended), of DAW computers!

Thank you, and RustyAxe for your input. It has helped me make a decision that was bugging the crap out of me every waking moment the past week or so. To the point of obsession, and depression. 3 heads are better than mine alone!
Peace y'all, Keith

Rustyaxe, another issue, you said you have the MX 61? From a lot of what I read about it, it's really a much more versatile, and powerful keyboard once you connect it to a computer. I won't be likely to use the sequencer anyway, but the editing, and key sensitivity added with the prolouge software, and the more control you get over the native voices seem to make hooking up to a computer at a point, a necessity, not to mention the yc-3b hammond organ software, which a Hammond is an instrument I will use on almost every song eventually. All that being said, and the fact that I WILL get a computer at some point, my question here is: Will I get the tools, such as great Drums, Bass, piano, and some good synth sounds right out of the box, and will only get tons better once I get a new computer? Does that make sense? The reviews are so mixed,( I rarely pay too much attention), with many saying it's a bad version of a cut down Motif, while others praise it for the features it does have at it's price. Just like to hear your pros, and cons about it.
Thanks, promise I'll pick on someone else for awhile, Ha-ha! Keith

Now you know why I call myself
The Postecutioner!!!! LOL

Back