To Choose a DP-24

BrentDomann

Has a Dedicated Member.
Did anyone here compare the DP-24 to the R16 or R24 and choose the DP-24? I have a few questions before I take the plunge.

How are the DP-24's preamps? I have read some complaints, but no direct comparisons with the Zooms' preamps and certainly fewer disparaging ones compared to those on the Zooms.

I own a small four-track unit (DP-004 maybe?). The process for sending WAVs to the computer involves rendering them in the machine and then transferring them by USB or by SD card. Is this step of rendering WAVs what you are doing with your DP-24s?

I started with an R16 and then moved to a DP24. The reason was mostly for more tracks and a little better effect display......etc.....etc...and a few other preferences. As it happens........I still use that R16 as a sort of mixer with the output going to the DP24. That allows me a lot of freedom. I'm sure some will disagree but I think the pre's on the Zoom are fine for most of what I do. The pre's on the Tascam are fine too.........perhaps a tad better / cleaner. Something for you to consider.........I export a lot of my tracks from the DP-24 to Reaper for some "work"......and then import them back into the DP-24 when done. You can export a single track (or more) without a "master" or "rendering". You can use a USB direct transfer back and forth. I bring this up because the R16 is a pretty good AI and control surface and if you were ever thinking of using a DAW for any reason.......the R16 would work for you that way too. Yup......I know my setup seems odd.......but hey......it works for me.

Thanks for the info. I plan on using the unit to record on-location (usually in a drummer's place) and for overdubbing. Then the tracks will be dumped to a PC for editing, effects, and mixing. Seems to me the DP-24 is better at the "whole thing done in the box" stuff and the R16 is more efficient when it comes to dumping WAVs into a computer, but if the preamps are better in the DP-24 and the process for file transfer isn't completely awful, then I might spend the extra $100. I have always loved my TASCAMs and aside from the US-800 I'm using now they've been trouble-free.

I like the potential for daisy-chaining R16s, though. That's kind of neat.

Preamps are fine, but I prefer outboard preamps (I use an ART MPA-II and do a lot of mid/side mic'ing of acoustic instruments, and also use ribbons for Blumlein recordings and need the extra gain). I've never seen any legitimate complaints about them, either ... and would be interested to hear what the issues are. Anyone expecting to get recording studio tube-pre performance from a MTR that costs a fraction of just one studio preamp is delusional. The DP-24 records direct to WAV, no conversion necessary ... just export the tracks via USB. I edit in Reaper.

The DP-24 records direct to WAV, no conversion necessary ... just export the tracks via USB. I edit in Reaper.

With my DP-004 I have to go into a menu and select "Export Tracks" (or similar), then select the tracks to be exported as WAVs. The machine then does a little calculating while I wait and my files are ready for transfer. With the Zooms I understand that this "export" function is unnecessary, the files are ready for drag-and-drop without going through any extra steps after recording.

Not a big deal with four tracks, but it might get cumbersome with 24. That's all - if you seem to get along dumping files into Reaper, you're essentially doing what I plan to do. Thanks for the input.

I am not planning on fancy pres, but I have heard complaints about both the sound quality and the gain available in the Zoom units. I haven't heard the same complaints about the DP-24.

Did alot of comparing....zooms white doesn't work for me...small unit whereas the TASCAM DP24 is a full size...

Having no MIDI ins or outs on the ZOOM was the deal killer....

Once more ... the DP-24 records direct to WAV. Connect it to your computer via USB and the DP-24 appears as an external drive on your computer ... drag and drop to wherever you want the file(s). Easy.

Once more ... the DP-24 records direct to WAV. Connect it to your computer via USB and the DP-24 appears as an external drive on your computer ... drag and drop to wherever you want the file(s). Easy.

I've got it. It's not the same as other DP recorders. Had to do some reading about this to make sure, that's all. Thanks.

I've got it. It's not the same as other DP recorders. Had to do some reading about this to make sure, that's all. Thanks.
There are situations where you'd prefer to use the EXPORT function, especially on songs where you've done a lot editing on the DP-24; or you have created tracks of differing lengths. Eg, you put a cello in the bridge and didn't start recording that track from the beginning of the song (ie, all the tracks don't start in the same place) ... and even that is easily realigned in the computer DAW if you want to. But the important thing is that ALL audio files created by the Dp-24 are WAV format, not a proprietary format, and can be used "as is" in any DAW.

TASCAM WARRANTY IS ONLY 90 DAYS!! Read before you buy!

TASCAM WARRANTY IS ONLY 90 DAYS ON HEADS/MOVING PARTS AND LABOR. TASCAM 1 year WARRANTY EXCLUDES HEADS AND DISK DRIVES. I JUST PAID $139 FOR TASCAM SERVICE FACILITY TO LOOK AT MY 5 MONTH OLD DP-24. THE REPAIRS will be in addition to THE $139 I HAD TO GIVE THEM BEFORE THEY WOULD EVEN LOOK AT IT.
The Dp-24 has a large foot print and a bit heavy. Not very portable.

I've checked the ZOOM warranty and it includes ALL parts and labor for 1 year.

I've owned many Tascam Portastudios since my first in 1998 and have always loved them. This model, is not up to the Tascam quality I've come to expect. The effects on ZOOM is always better then Tascam, the CD player is useless and the USB mode is for transporting files only. it is not a usb interface which the Zoom R16+ is. This unit has a sterile, flat sound, lacking the warmth that is an obvious difference between this unit and my Zoom H4N. I'm looking replacing my tascam with a Zoom r16.

TASCAM WARRANTY IS ONLY 90 DAYS ON HEADS/MOVING PARTS AND LABOR. TASCAM 1 year WARRANTY EXCLUDES HEADS AND DISK DRIVES. I JUST PAID $139 FOR TASCAM SERVICE FACILITY TO LOOK AT MY 5 MONTH OLD DP-24. THE REPAIRS will be in addition to THE $139 I HAD TO GIVE THEM BEFORE THEY WOULD EVEN LOOK AT IT.
The Dp-24 has a large foot print and a bit heavy. Not very portable.

- This is the first I've heard a DP-24 going back for warranty service. What was the problem? (honest question) The DP-24 has no moving parts other than the CD drive (ie, no hard disk drive) and has no recording heads.
- Just like the warranty terms didn't change after purchase, the size of the DP-24 didn't change after you bought it. What's it have to do with anything?

I've owned many Tascam Portastudios since my first in 1998 and have always loved them. This model, is not up to the Tascam quality I've come to expect. The effects on ZOOM is always better then Tascam, the CD player is useless and the USB mode is for transporting files only. it is not a usb interface which the Zoom R16+ is. This unit has a sterile, flat sound, lacking the warmth that is an obvious difference between this unit and my Zoom H4N. I'm looking replacing my tascam with a Zoom r16.
The CD player does what it's supposed to do. It never claimed to be a USB interface for a DAW, and really why should it be needed in a MTR? As to the sound, well, perhaps you can't make it sound just like your H4n, but that's not the unit's fault. There's nothing inherently "sterile", "flat", or "lacking warmth" ... it's all in how you use it.

I don't mean to be a Tascam shill, but user reviews are often posted by people who are disappointed about something ... and are neither fair nor objective. The Tascam is powerful recording tool ... and it's capable of making horribly poor recordings, as well as amazingly good. The difference is the knowledge of the recordist.

As I've mentioned a few times before.........I have both units......the DP-24 and the Zoom R16. I moved to the DP-24 after using the Zoom unit for some time.........and really........in my opinion.....the DP2-4 is a better unit because of it's ease of use and and the color screen.........not to mention more tracks. The Zoom R16 works just fine but it always felt like it was a pain to go between every little area of use on the tiny screen and the two track banks.....etc. It got very tedious and sort of gives you the feeling you're working a little "blind" in a way. I now use the R16 as a sort of mixer / effects unit.......I keep lots of thing plugged in all the time.........and I use the two stereo outs to go into 2 inputs in the DP-24 for tracking. I also use Reaper as a sort of track "fixer upper / cleaner" by exporting the tracks from the DP-24 and then importing them later. So......the R16 makes for an excellent AI in my case. Sorry for the rambling but the Tascam DP-24 is really an excellent machine.......that does what it says it will. The sound is not more sterile but hey.....sound is subjective. My 2 cents.

The DP-24 creates a wave file for each track and as a final master. You can easily export any track (or final master) as a wave.....into any DAW that will accept a wave file. You can export the track as stereo or mono. I'm sure Cubase will accept a wave file too. The DP-24 is limited on effects so exporting to a DAW allows you to do whatever you want or need to do. The DAW will then create (render....etc) a wave that can then be dropped right back into any mono or stereo track in the DP-24. Then you have a nice easy hands on way to control as you mixdown............and your DAW never gets overloaded. That's just one way to work between a DAW and the DP-24.

I just bought a DP-24 from Sweetwater.
$499, free shipping and a two year warranty all part of the deal.
I'm still "learning" the DP24 but so far it seems like a really nice unit, with a lot of nice features.
I would still give up my genitalia before I'd give up my MSR16, but if and when the MSR16 dies, and no one anywhere has parts for them, the DP24 seems to me to be the machine to fall back on.

- This is the first I've heard a DP-24 going back for warranty service. What was the problem? (honest question) The DP-24 has no moving parts other than the CD drive (ie, no hard disk drive) and has no recording heads.
- Just like the warranty terms didn't change after purchase, the size of the DP-24 didn't change after you bought it. What's it have to do with anything?

The CD player does what it's supposed to do. It never claimed to be a USB interface for a DAW, and really why should it be needed in a MTR? As to the sound, well, perhaps you can't make it sound just like your H4n, but that's not the unit's fault. There's nothing inherently "sterile", "flat", or "lacking warmth" ... it's all in how you use it.

I don't mean to be a Tascam shill, but user reviews are often posted by people who are disappointed about something ... and are neither fair nor objective. The Tascam is powerful recording tool ... and it's capable of making horribly poor recordings, as well as amazingly good. The difference is the knowledge of the recordist.[

You work for Tascam, come on admit it! Your last sentence is pure speculation.

I believe TASCAM's employees would have the decency to announce their affiliation.

I'm with Rusty, just sounded like a hysterical complaint that a DP24 isn't a R16.

Back