Another MultiMix thread...

elementary said:
hey identity, you can record up to 48 tracks, but not simultaneously, you can only record 4 at a time with LE:)
I bought a multimix firewire 8 and use it with cubase SX. I have a 3ghz processor and 1gig ram and it handles 8 tracks simultaneously absolutely fine. You also have the option to record 8 discreet tracks and a stereo mix out of the alesis.
The only problem i have is that if i am using a lot of plug ins I get a bit of crackling, but this usually only happens when i run multiband compressors and reverbs on about 20 tracks. Iv never used a high end preamp, but the preamps in the alesis sound good to me:)

Yeah I understand that, but the other poster was making it sound as if "only" 4 tracks can be recorded [Maximum]. But all depends on the interface, and taht is true for the Presonus INterfaces too [Inspire 1394, Firebox and Firepod,all of them bundeled with Cubase LE too] so the software is not limitied to 4 tracks, simultaneous tracks depend on which interface you have, not on the software, and also on your computer resources.

I installed the multimix software last nigth and it works fine, I'm not a fan of Cubase, so I'll be using something else.

Thanks, :cool:

So i understand that most of the poppings and cracking sounds came when adding a bunch of plugins and effects and recording 20 tracks. Well, my music usually wont need more than 8 tracks max and i would probably record 4 tracks at once max. I usually record my instruments and vocals completely dry and then edit the waves and add effects individually after they have been recorded. Do you think this would reduce the chances of getting some pops and cracks in the recordings?? Oh yeah.... i currently use a fostex mr8 as my multitrack recorder then transfer the wavs to my DAW for editing. Would the multimix be an upgrade??

Yeah... The interface is a MM16FX.. I can only record 4 channels at a time with LE.. IMHO.. That makes it next to useless to have a 16 track unit without being froced to drop more cash to upgarde the software to something that lets me make full use of the hardware..

I tried using N-Stduio for a bit, but wasn't to happy with it.. Didn't care for the GUI... With the 16, I laid down 2 guitar tracks (L&R mic in XY) and 14 blank tracks.. Seems it's all or nothing with N-Studio.. The sound on the two tracks I meant to do was fine and the other 14 were blank.. Don't know it that would be the same as recording 16 active channels as far as the processor is concerned or not.. But I'm running a 2ghz Dell Laptop w/ 1gig of memory.. 4 active recording channels and 2 playback channels gave me no noticable delay with Cubase..

Rob

Crash © said:
Yeah... The interface is a MM16FX.. I can only record 4 channels at a time with LE.. IMHO.. That makes it next to useless to have a 16 track unit without being froced to drop more cash to upgarde the software to something that lets me make full use of the hardware..

Rob

Hi Rob!

I still don't understand why you can only record 4 simultaneuos tracks, Cubase LE should let you record as many as 48, and 16 simlutaneous or @ least 8, with your Alesis MM16 Firewire, I really don't think that there's a limitation on Cubase LE.

Are you using the ASIO Drivers? It sounds like you are using WDM Drivers which only let you record 2 stereo tracks [I think].

What is the speed on your laptop/s Hard Drive? most Laptop computers will have 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM Drives which are not good for recording.

:cool:

i believe the Cubase that comes bundled with all the multimixers is a very stripped down version with a 4 track simultaneous limitation. You have to upgrade to their bigger versions for full functions. Has anybody tried Cubase SE 3 with the multimix?? thats the entry level version of cubase thats like 150 bucks?? So should i go with a multimix firewire and put away my fostex mr8 8 track??!! :confused:

rockabilly1955 said:
i believe the Cubase that comes bundled with all the multimixers is a very stripped down version with a 4 track simultaneous limitation. You have to upgrade to their bigger versions for full functions. Has anybody tried Cubase SE 3 with the multimix?? thats the entry level version of cubase thats like 150 bucks?? :confused:

No! No! No!

I'm using the Cubase LE that came with my multimix 16 and I can record more than 4 tracks, are you guys reading the manual? or even reading my posts :rolleyes: :) :confused: :D

i think we all are talkin about simultaneous recording tracks?? So you can record more than four tracks/instruments simultaneously with your bundled Cubase??

rockabilly1955 said:
i think we all are talkin about simultaneous recording tracks?? So you can record more than four tracks/instruments simultaneously with your bundled Cubase??

I was relying on somebody elses information, and that's no GOOD! :mad:

My apologies, Yep! is only 4 tracks simultanous recording, which is no GOOD! Like I said before I don't like Cubase, so I'm using this software:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

I wonder if Sonar LE is the same way?

hey identity..........so how do your recording come out on your multimix?? decent home quality?? i been using a little fostex multitrack recorder and to me the sound quality has been pretty good, but ireally wanna updgrade to the multimix because it would allow me to record more than 2 simultaneous inputs

rockabilly1955 said:
hey identity..........so how do your recording come out on your multimix?? decent home quality?? i been using a little fostex multitrack recorder and to me the sound quality has been pretty good, but ireally wanna updgrade to the multimix because it would allow me to record more than 2 simultaneous inputs

I have not mix anything yet, I sold my EMU1820M becasue I wanted something portable [Laptop], so I trying to put something together, mix it and put it on a CD, but so far I like it.

I'll keep you posted :cool:

Difference is 1 stereo track vs. 16 tracks. My band is in the process of recording a full length album using the Multimix16 firewire. Once done, I will post something to our myspace for listening.

Back