Another MultiMix thread...

Wogimlodger

Hey guys. I've decided to step up a bit from my usual recording rig (consisting of a Behringer mixer and a soundcard from 1998) and shell out for a Alesis MultiMix 8. From looking at the other threads, I've gathered that I need the Firewire version, not the USB, to record multiple tracks at one time.

I need to know if I can use Adobe Audition with the mixer to record more than one track at once. (Since Cubase will only do 4 at once, and I want to do at least 6.) Or is Cubase the only program that will work with the mixer?

Wogimlodger said:
Hey guys. I've decided to step up a bit from my usual recording rig (consisting of a Behringer mixer and a soundcard from 1998) and shell out for a Alesis MultiMix 8. From looking at the other threads, I've gathered that I need the Firewire version, not the USB, to record multiple tracks at one time.

I need to know if I can use Adobe Audition with the mixer to record more than one track at once. (Since Cubase will only do 4 at once, and I want to do at least 6.) Or is Cubase the only program that will work with the mixer?

im not sure, but i think pretty much every other program (except pro tools) will work with that. pro tools needs a digidesign interface to be able to work, but you can use whatever you want for the other programs. *someone correct me if im wrong* but im almost positive that you'll be ok. i dont use cubase with my multimix.

you just need to make sure that audition will let you record 6 at once -- and if it does, youre set.

I don't know about Audition or not, but there are quite a few programs that do work well with the mixer other than Cubase..

Kinda hokey IMHO that Alesis bundles the Firewire mixers (even the MM16) Tht can record a ton of channels with a program that only lets you record 4 channels at once..

--
Rob

hmm

can anyone answer my noob question.

Now that I have the ,ultimix 12 and adobe audition I cant seem to get the multiple channels to show up and assign each real channel to a virtual channel.

Anyone point me to a setting that perhaps Im overlooking?

just want to add that, if I select the "In" button on a channel the only thing that shows up is

[1] miltimix channels in

Last edited:
Do you have the firewire version? If not, I think two in's to the computer is all you have. Also, there is possibly another dropdown in the audio input window. :)

Alesis multimix16

Hello, guys, I am adding another ques I hope it's all right. I'm getting a Alesis multimix 16 firewire and since the cubase LE doesn't work for recording more than 4 channel should I go for Cubase SX or anything particular good for recording live music software? :rolleyes:

tribal said:
Hello, guys, I am adding another ques I hope it's all right. I'm getting a Alesis multimix 16 firewire and since the cubase LE doesn't work for recording more than 4 channel should I go for Cubase SX or anything particular good for recording live music software? :rolleyes:

SX is only good for 8 channels.. Better than LE, but still coming up 50% short

I'm looking at other programs out there besdies Cubase.. Great program, but just bad limited on the number of tracks until you get into the high $$$ versions...

D'oh.. I was thinking of the $99 upgrade to SE... It's still limited to 8 channels... SX will go much much more than the 16 channels of the MM16FX, but I just can't swallow the $300+ price tag...

Rob

hey guys, i think i'll jump in on this too. I am a potential buyer of the Multimix8 firewire. I wanna be able to record at least 4 instruments at the same time and have each instrument on a seperate track in the software for individual instrument editing. Is this the right machine??? And also, i've seen reviews that say the sound is bad and distorted or pure hiss and when you record the latency makes the recorded tracks sound like they have some kind of chorus effect?? Or it is a hassle to set up.Is all this true?? or just user error?? or would you recommend this machine to make some decent home recordings?? thanks

Sounds like user error or a dang slow PC.. I forget what they recommend rigt now, but it's always safe to double everything they say... They ask for a 1ghz Pentium w/ 1gb ram givem a 2ghz w/ 2 gb ram... And make sure it is NOT a Celeron processor..

Rob

Crash © said:
SX is only good for 8 channels.. Better than LE, but still coming up 50% short

I'm looking at other programs out there besdies Cubase.. Great program, but just bad limited on the number of tracks until you get into the high $$$ versions...

Hi guys! Long time lurker and former member.

Where does it say [read] Cubase Le is limited to 4 tracks?
As far as I know as long as you use the ASIO drivers you can record a lot more than 4 tracks. maybe the mixer is limited but not Cubase LE. ;)
Read the manual pages 34 and so on.

;)

I just bougth the Firewire Multimix 16 and Cubase should let you record as many tracks as your computer can handle [Well, up to 48].

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to know where the above statement came from, maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:
well............i have about a 3ghz P4 processor, but my ram is only 512. I will probably upgrade to 1g of ram. So how does the mutlitrack simultaneous recordings come out?? each input on the mixer is output to its own track?? not just a dumb stereo track??

rockabilly1955 said:
well............i have about a 3ghz P4 processor, but my ram is only 512. I will probably upgrade to 1g of ram. So how does the mutlitrack simultaneous recordings come out?? each input on the mixer is output to its own track?? not just a dumb stereo track??

:confused:

512 is not bad I know some peple in our spanish forum www.nuestroforo.com that are getting very good track counts with 512.

Last edited:
I just installed Cubase LE, The Limit is 48 Tracks
I'm still playing and learning, I don't like Cubase :mad: .
I will buy Sonar soon.
But to answer to those who said Cubase LE can only record 4 Tracks, the answer is no, depending on your mixer, mine is the 16, so I can record 16 simultaneos tracks and up to 48.
If somebody has the 12, 12 if the 8, 8 but up to 48 tracks.

When Cubase LE is installing, it shows on the left hand part of the screen [reads] up to 48 tracks can be recorded. :cool:

I'm also using REAPER [Free} www.cockos.com

Hope this helps.

hey identity, you can record up to 48 tracks, but not simultaneously, you can only record 4 at a time with LE:)
I bought a multimix firewire 8 and use it with cubase SX. I have a 3ghz processor and 1gig ram and it handles 8 tracks simultaneously absolutely fine. You also have the option to record 8 discreet tracks and a stereo mix out of the alesis.
The only problem i have is that if i am using a lot of plug ins I get a bit of crackling, but this usually only happens when i run multiband compressors and reverbs on about 20 tracks. Iv never used a high end preamp, but the preamps in the alesis sound good to me:)

Back