Alesis users - ADAT tape availability?

I've read many stories around here about ADAT problems...but...I bought an ADAT used on ebay for like ~$300, I think, XT with ~1200 hours. That's my main recording device. That was 3-4 years ago, and mine still works fine. My brand new computer, which I only use for audio editing, on the other hand, crapped out over the week-end (it is 1-2 years old). It stopped finding installed programs! Yikes!

There are horror stories for everything, I suppose. I like ADAT and I even like the sound when compared to straight computer recording.

And just writing this post is begging for ADAT trouble, isn't it?

I'm in the market to buy one more ADAT....PM me if you are looking to sell. Though please look at some completed auctions on ebay before sending me an asking price of $300 for a blackface w/1500 hours. :)

Looking for LX-20, XT, or XT-20 no black faces please. also looking for a synch cable.

thanks,
-justin

I wouldn't sell a Blackface for $300. My XT20 I would though:) $350 for the BRC and I will throw in the sync cables:D

I'd entertain buying the blackface or the XT20...why don't you e-mail me with what you have in mind and number of hours.....

I have an ADAT , I got from ebay

My ADAT LX20 Might be troublesome,(see error code 4 LOL) but it was cheap when I bought it, and beats the 4 track fostek Cassette Recorder I was using LOL ........ I am just a guy who records his own stuff at home so its the perfect thing for me, even a computer solution would cost me more to get started, and it fills a few Rack spaces and looks impressive in there.

Nothing wrong with using SVHS tape ?

There is Nothing wrong with using SVHS tape verses special ADAT tapes.

This is a wives tale, all SVHS and ADAT tapes are all manufactured together.

The so called special ADAT tape can be allot more expensive because you are paying royalties to Alesis and that is the only difference. Although now, I don't think Alesis even gives a ratz ass about the SVHS tape format or it's customers any more.

Maxell SVHS BQ series, TDK, Fuji, Panasonic and JVC brands of SVHS tape will all work just fine and are way better in quality than Quantegy/Ampex ADAT tapes. I know because I have used these brands of SVHS tapes with no problems.

However, stay away from Quantegy and Ampex ADAT tapes, most of those tapes have allot of errors and drop outs, I suspect sticky shed, and some will not even load into the machine, because of the crappy cheap ass tape case and inner shell moving parts I suppose. And these tapes are endorsed by Alesis ??? Give me a break...........

You can even use broadcast quality VHS tape in ADAT machines with no problems whatsoever. I suspect the broadcast VHS tapes are made from the same stock of tape as the SVHS tapes.

As long as the VHS or SVHS tape is broadcast quality The ADAT will and does not know the difference. But just don't use VHS medium quality or low quality tape. You will have errors. Be aware of so called premium VHS tapes'. Only use broadcast quality VHS tapes with an ADAT machine, or just stick with the SVHS tapes...... easy enough'.

If you want to pay extra for the "Special ADAT approved tapes", then waste your money, again there is no difference.

I have SVHS tapes recorded on ADAT's from 1992 and up that still playback perfectly and sound better than any CD recording.

So please Stop spreading the wives tales about ADAT not being a reliable format or not sounding good, it is pure and complete bull !!!

I can let you hear some great recordings on ADAT SVHS tape that will blow your prejudice mind !!!

Yes from time to time, you do need to actually and properly maintain your ADAT machine, like any other piece of recording gear.

And stop bitching about it when it does go wrong because you were just too lazy to properly clean the machine, lube it and make a safety tape copy and or you got a used abused ADAT machine or a lousy used abused crappy tape'.

Last edited:
Back