Alesis users - ADAT tape availability?

fazeka

Hello,

I am in the market for a nice, used ADAT. Something like an XT20.

I was talking with someone from one of the Authorized Service Centers regarding ADAT tape availability. The person there said that although one could use S-VHS tapes, Alesis recommends tapes specifically made for the ADAT. However, he said that these tapes are no longer being made anymore.

Is this true? I would like to use ADAT tapes instead of S-VHS tapes if that what Alesis recommends, but do not want to get a machine if ADAT-specific tapes are not going to be made.

Not to doubt the integrity of the person at the service center, but I have a hard time thinking no more ADAT-specific tapes are being made.

Where is everyone else getting their ADAT-specific tape?

Thanks,
Chris

So it's true? No more ADAT-specific tape being made? I mean, I know I can get it off eBay, but I can also get GP9 2500' off eBay too for $75.00 a reel, if you know what I mean. :eek:

Guitar Center seems to still have some stock, plus the BASF guys are back in business from waht i hear. i am not sure if they are going to do ADAT tape though.

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but the nearest Guitar Center is 3000 miles from me. I guess I know that I can currently buy ADAT/S-VHS tapes. I am more interested to know if ADAT-specific tapes are still being made. This, I think, may help me make my decision whether to buy an ADAT machine moreso than knowing where I can buy ADAT tapes from.

Anyone know the scoop?

I just did a Google search for "ADAT tapes" and it lit up a TON of sites.

I don't know for sure if they've stopped manufacturering them, but I would *highly* doubt it.

Velvet Elvis

There should still be plenty of mail order places that have pretty good stocks of ADAT tapes. Being a current ADAT owner (haven't plugged one in in maybe 3 years now though), I would seriously reccomend some other medium for recording. ADAT's are troublesome, don't sound so great, maintenance nightmares, and slow and bulky compared to current hard disc recorders and such.

That being said, I have 2 or 3 ADAT's and a BRC remote I would love to sell. I still reccomend against starting an ADAT rig though:(

xstatic said:
That being said, I have 2 or 3 ADAT's and a BRC remote I would love to sell. I still reccomend against starting an ADAT rig though:(

I have to agree with xstatic. I recently bought 7 ADAT tape machines in a package, and last month, just bought an Alesis HD24 HD Recorder. Now I have these Adat paperweights and the BRC which I am wondering what to do with. The HD Recorder is so much nicer to use.

All it took was one time using the HD Recorder and I instantly looked at the Adat machines and said "now what do I do with these things". LOL :rolleyes: Guess they will end up on ebay,,,,,or I will list them on here first.

Peace :cool:
AJ

Well here's the thing. I can get an XT20 that's been gone through and refurbished by an Alesis Authorized Service Center for $300. Turn key ADAT recording. What's a HD24 run for? Even used they go for $1k at the cheapest... I don't know if I can afford that, I gotta buy mics! ;)

Here's some other factors. Do I really need 24 tracks? Sounds nice, but I don't think I would even know what to do with 24 tracks. My mixer is only 12 channels! :eek: I'd have to buy a new board! There goes more money! :eek: 16 would be nice, I think that would be OK. 8 is sufficient for my needs, though.

Decisions, decisions... :confused:

I recently picked some blackface ADATs for remote recording. I should have held out for 20-bti boxes. Maybe later. Anyway, I also posted some Q's here about tape after not finding the specific brands cited in the ADAT manual. You'll find the links to the websites somewhere in this forum (see the ADAT Newbie thread). Those sites had links to their ADAT tape products vs S-VHS products. Also, I read recently that Quantegy was bought up and is back to producing product.

Yes, again, I know that I can buy loads of ADAT-specific tapes online. However, like I said earlier, I think I was more interested to know if ADAT-specific tape was currently being manufactured and it seems that it is. Although now I have to consider the HD24 but coming up with the scratch is a whole 'nother issue. :(

Thanks.

ADAT tapes

I've always had good luck with high quailty S-VHS tapes with my ADAT system. Try: tapes.com. They seem to have plenty on hand. I still like my ADAT set up & have had minimal problems with it. I suppose I will eventually go to an HD24 sysyem when my budget will allow.

There's nothing wrong with the ADAT machines... really... I recorded a national release just a few years back on my old black face ADATs... I bought an HD24 during the mixdown portion of the recording just simply because I worked for a music store at the time and Alesis made me a GREAT offer to help 'promote' the HD24... couldn't refuse it.

I always have used the Maxell ST-126BQ (I think is what they are called)... the Maxell broadcast quality SVHS tapes. I've only ever had one eaten, and it was able to be salvaged.

As long as you clean the head, tape path and change out the pinch rollers and such on the ADAT's, they can be pretty decent machines.

I've still got my BRC and my three black face ADATs just in case I need those 'extra tracks'.

Velvet

ADAT's just have a "stuffy" sound to them. Very stiff. I would imagine that ADAT's are the reason that so many people think that digital is "cold". IN their defense however, they absolutely revolutionized the recording industry. They really brought the capabilities to make a decent album into a whole new price range. This is both good and bad:D

If anyone wants more ADAT's I have a couple for sale and a BRC. I would love to dump them off:D

I read that Alanis Morrissette recorded most of the tracks from Jagged Little Pill onto ADAT because it was origonally intended as a demo but they then decided it good enough to release - including the miserable drum machine parts! Jagged Little Pill sold over 25 million copies world-wide. Pretty amazing for ADAT...

There have been plenty of good albums recorded on ADAT. If you have good converters on the front and back end, ADAT's really sound a whole lot better. At the time Alanis did that album, there weren't a lot of options for a budget setup with any sort of track count and usability. It really isn't that a good product can't be put out on ADAT, but it certainly takes a whole new level of experience and equipment to really make it sound that good. Also, good engineering, musicianship and songwriting will outweigh the recording medium every time. With the affordability of soundcards and HD recorders now, i just don't see any reason to stay with ADAT's any more. Especially not to start a system based on them. All of this is before even considering the maintenance headaches of ADAT's. Anyone using ADAT's in any sort of a professional system (basically any system that clocks a lot of hours) could pay for a new 24 track HD recorder which functions better, offers more options, and sounds better on just 1 years worth of maintenance costs of a typical 24 track ADAT system that clocks 40 hours a week.

Part of the reason that I have not sold my ADAT's yet is because I am looking for the right home for them. I have had several people interested in buying them, but O have talked them out of it. They were all people trying to build their first multitrack set-up. I just don't think that ADAT's are the right way to go for those people. So, even though I would love to get rid of them and have the money for something else, I explained the cost and advantages of other systems to them that I felt were more suited to what they were going to be doing. In the end, I would feel guilty selling some poor "newbie" an ADAT system. I will just hold out until I find someone that has worked with ADAT's for a while and understands why they aren't the best soultion, yet still wants to buy them.

xstatic said:
In the end, I would feel guilty selling some poor "newbie" an ADAT system.

That's cool. I know exactly what you mean too; I bought an ADAT when the prices dropped to @ $800 and now I'm just beginning to see error codes and realize how much more flexible graphic computer systems are. The ADAT has been an on-going lesson in recording techniques for me though which I'm grateful for: It picks up every noise in the room!

Back