Zoom rt123 or Boss Dr Rhythm 550?

LukeZen

Okay so here's the deal - I'm a guitarist (with some keys too) in an apartment in the city... so I can't have a drumkit or anything like that.

Local music shop around the corner has two drum machines in my price range, the Zoom RT 123 and a Boss Dr Rhythm 550. There are a couple of others, but more expensive and I'm on a bit of a budget here.

This isn't for live work or anything, just something to compliment the guitar/keys I have (with a fostex vf80 for recording). I know I won't ever get any of them sounding like a real drummer, but that's really the least of my problems.

All in all, any thoughts on which might better suit my needs? Which has more realistic sounding drums? I may not get it sounding like a real drummer, but I'd still like the more realistic sounding drums as possible - IE I'm not looking for techno or electronic style stuff. Just Natural :D

Anyways thanks in advance for any help

Luke

LukeZen said:
Okay so here's the deal - I'm a guitarist (with some keys too) in an apartment in the city... so I can't have a drumkit or anything like that.

Local music shop around the corner has two drum machines in my price range, the Zoom RT 123 and a Boss Dr Rhythm 550. There are a couple of others, but more expensive and I'm on a bit of a budget here.

This isn't for live work or anything, just something to compliment the guitar/keys I have (with a fostex vf80 for recording). I know I won't ever get any of them sounding like a real drummer, but that's really the least of my problems.

All in all, any thoughts on which might better suit my needs? Which has more realistic sounding drums? I may not get it sounding like a real drummer, but I'd still like the more realistic sounding drums as possible - IE I'm not looking for techno or electronic style stuff. Just Natural :D

Anyways thanks in advance for any help

Luke

assuming that you have a computer with an ok soundcard - you might want to explore the option of using a sequencing program that you can load real drum samples into...'cause you're not going to get realistic sounding drums from either of those 2 machines (or any of the other low end drum machines).

You might also check out the new $99 Zoom machine, which I've read some good things about (good value) but haven't heard.

J.

Re: Re: Zoom rt123 or Boss Dr Rhythm 550?

pratt said:
assuming that you have a computer with an ok soundcard - you might want to explore the option of using a sequencing program that you can load real drum samples into...'cause you're not going to get realistic sounding drums from either of those 2 machines (or any of the other low end drum machines).

Hmm problem is I'm using my brother's laptop - which doesn't have a really hot soundcard (or any holes to plug stuff into, anyway) so I'm really having to go with a self-contained unit like one of the other two.

I read online that with the zoom box, I can program in bass parts - which would be handy since I don't have a bass guitar myself. (though I'm planning on getting one *one day* and recording it direct)

Anyone have experience with the bass functions on the zoom? how good are they?

Luke

Re: Re: Re: Zoom rt123 or Boss Dr Rhythm 550?

LukeZen said:
Hmm problem is I'm using my brother's laptop - which doesn't have a really hot soundcard (or any holes to plug stuff into, anyway) so I'm really having to go with a self-contained unit like one of the other two.

I read online that with the zoom box, I can program in bass parts - which would be handy since I don't have a bass guitar myself. (though I'm planning on getting one *one day* and recording it direct)

Anyone have experience with the bass functions on the zoom? how good are they?

Luke

that's cool. I haven't heard the zoom box...but as I stated before - you're probably not going to get real good drum (or bass) sounds out of it. but if that's all that you can afford...

good luck

Back