Zoom R16

Jim Lad

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on one today.
I'd like to retire the Compaq C and move up to one of the dual compressor PCs that I've put together.
I have advised so many people to adopt this card and think I'm now ready to take my own advice.
Some excellent deals on E-bay means that I can save about $100 but I'll still be doing my recording on the Korg D3200 and editing on the PC.

Well, it arrived yesterday.
I also purchased an OEM copy of Windows 7, 32 bit and have moved over to a newer PC so that's a complete starting from scratch for the computer side of things.
It took me 24 hours to get the Zoom to play nicely.
Things were being buggy.
I'm left with an M Audio Audiophile 2496, a Presonus Inspire and the Echo Mona, all hanging around with nothing to do but that's not a bad problem to have.
I'm only interested in the Audio Interface side of it right now and now that it's settled in, the machine seems to want to play with whichever DAW & bit/sample rate it gets.
Will be interesting to see how this measures up.

So now you have a Korg D3200 and a Zoom R16? What next; you have more than one guitar?;)
I Stuck with my HD16, since the hard drive appealed to me; much like your D3200. Flash cards didn't interest me, but I may have been wrong. Did you get recording software with your Korg? I know Zoom gives away Cubase LE4, and that is a real nice 'lite' version. Now I think flash cards would have been the way. Easier to transfer and edit. With the HD16 you have it put into transfer mode and connect to your PC via a USB cable. With a flash card, it's pop it in and away you go. Oh well.

Well, it arrived yesterday.
I also purchased an OEM copy of Windows 7, 32 bit and have moved over to a newer PC so that's a complete starting from scratch for the computer side of things.
It took me 24 hours to get the Zoom to play nicely.
Things were being buggy.
I'm left with an M Audio Audiophile 2496, a Presonus Inspire and the Echo Mona, all hanging around with nothing to do but that's not a bad problem to have.
I'm only interested in the Audio Interface side of it right now and now that it's settled in, the machine seems to want to play with whichever DAW & bit/sample rate it gets.
Will be interesting to see how this measures up.

Are you using the on board mic pres or out board?

you have more than one guitar?
I play solo so I always show up with at least two instruments. Usually three.
I want the Zoom R16 more as a soundcard than anything else.
As I've said before, I wouldn't consider buying an audio interface that didn't have at the very least, one more function.
So the Zoom won't replace the Korg either as a recorder or a control surface but it will do very nicely as a soundcard.
I'm impressed so far. There was an irritating chatter going on with the monitors but that has stopped now and I did record about thirty seconds on one track into Mixcraft, just to be sure it works.
I was using a Presonus Comp 16 (just picked it up) and the new EM T 5000 so the Zoom preamps didn't have to work at all. Nor did I have to read any instructions. It's fairly intuitive.
Nothing feels cheap about this rig at all.
I managed to pick up a 4 gig card for $10 so I don't really need to upgrade that any time soon.

Back