Zoom MRS1044 opinions?

Davo8411

Anyone have any input as to the quality of these units? I'm looking for my first DAW and this has a built in drums and bass. I just do this for fun, so I don't need a pro setup. I would like to be able to put a finished product to CD. There is either an optional SCSI or USB for the Zoom. Is this what I'll need to burn to CD?

Thanks to anyone for their suggestions/opinions.

K, i was checkin one of these out the other day at my music dealer. If your just doin it for fun (hobbiest), grab it, it will serve a song writing purpose(especially with the drums&bass). BUT
if you feel you might become at all serious and want good quality out of a porta studio there are way better options. In the same ballpark you can get an akai or tascam 788 .

Well I was going to ,ake a new topic but you guys have already answered my question.

I am making my studio bigger. I need more traxs.

I have a Boss BR 532 and it only has four traxs.

So the Tascam 788 is a good choice for the serious recorder?
Can you throw a CD/R drive in it?

problem is you have to get an external one thats made for the 788 wich is pretty expensive through a music shop, no lies when i saw there's a guy on e-bay thats sellin them cheap. I actually got mine there brand new.I would personaly say 788 but there are many choices, one bonus about the 788 is its awsome forum thats helps you master everything to know. The 788 really does give you the opportunity to make submittable 8 track demo's, with a learning curve good for monkey's (excluding drummers).

Well i hate to sound like one of those dinks that say "depends on how you use it", but its really starting to make sence. you have to have decent acceseries(pre's mic's etc) and patience. i just bought a magazine electronic musician i think, Go get it right now cause it tells spec's and price for over 2000 products from mics to headphones blah blah....but more importantly talks all about EQ'ing. with what ive read, ill be able to make even more pro sounds now. As for pro quality, no not if you compare it to a metallica or eagles album, BUT would be a decent first album for the local scene. ive only owned mine four months and maybe another four and ill feel comfortable sending my music anywhere.
Mind you, you have tracking experience and i had never seen one of these before, so the curve is pretty good.
www.tascam.com

dudes, i havent tried the tascam, but i researched and found two choices for what i wanted to do. i own a triton, and i want to lay my beats to cd, but i also want to record my friends music, guitar, drums, etc. full band stuff.

basically i wanted something that is capapble for a full setup and/or ability to laydown clean tracks and exchanged on something else for better mixdown and mastering. well. my two choices where the akai dps16 and the korg d1600. these where my choices because of the 16 tracks, bit quality, and mixing and mastering to cd.

well i now own the dps16. i chose this for numerous reasons. one because of the price, i got a free akg c1000s mic. plus the cd burner that works with it, its a plextor plewwrite, the best in the computer world. it can be used on my computer, on my keyboard, and on my dps16. i also like the fact that the dps16 had 56 bit internal processing. no quality loss, so basically, if i recorded something flat, no effects, then i could save the tracks to cd as a wav, then take the cd to a real studio for professional mastering, really good for live recording. and with that piece, i can expand my recording abilities with access to good effects, and easy to use interface without having to buy external equipment until i wanted to. since its got the aux send/return, i can but a compressor, or whatever and apply external effects easily and not even worry about how good the internal effects are, even though they are(really good).

the differances i found between the d1600 and dps16 where minimal. the effects on the d1600 are more abundant, however, there are actually more presets, not actual effects, plus i did not like touch screen, i mean imagine how dirty it could get just from sweaty fingers, plus no matter what anyone says, a knob is easier to turn than selecting something and having to use the jog shuttle. knobs are nice for those who are learning because you can turn the knob quickly just to see what happens.

for my personal use, i dont need more than two xlr inputs, although 4 are nice on the korg, but with the dps, you can assign any input to any track, so you dont have to plug and unplug mics. if you can record one track at a time you will get a better mix anyways. for live recording i think i can just hook up a mackie mixer with better preamps anyways.

i really like the bigger screen, you would think for touch screen the korgs screen would be more square but its not, so a definate down fall. another thing that people question are the amount of actuall effects someone can use per track, well the dps16 is onlly four, and the korg advertises 11, i feel that if you need 11, you are a freakin idiot anyways because you need to record a good sound to begin with no need for effects, just effects to boost punch or erase mud, or normalize and master, nothing else.

asfar as the actual quality of the dps16, the faders and knobs are really tight, i like this because i hate flimsy feeling knobs. if you have a keboard and thats what you want to record, the dps is nice too because of the tilt sreen. i have mine on a tier above my keyboard, i tilt the screen so i can do everything thing right there, play my keboard, and record. micraphone check.

I soo wanted one of those dps16's but couldnt come up with the cash. does it have phantom power? from what i remember there's a few add-ons neccesary to comples the job. but sounds like its a beast for being easy to learn and make songs....one day. One think that really took me away from the zoom 1044 was that it only had 2 inputs and while you might not need more than that right now ,,,you probly will eventually. The other thing is that when talking about quality having 24 bit over 16 is choice. 1044 only has 16 bit. (lets not debate the 16 -24 thing lol).

Back