Zoom HD16/similar

pangalactic

gargling blasters
I've been looking at hard disk recorders for the purpose of recording my drums. With my current setup, it isn't going to be possible for me to run them into my interface (looking like it's going to be a MOTU 8pre) because I'm baically reduced to using my garage for the kit. Has anybody had any experience using this kind of setup? What are the advantages or drawbacks? I'm guessing that there will be a reduction in sound quality when using one of these all-in-one gizmos.

I've been looking at the MOTU 896HD as an alternative to the 8pre and a seperate system for the drums. I do like being able to use real faders, though, so I'm not too sure about that (although if I can see one cheap on ebay again I'll pounce on it. Just lost out on one by £20 this week :( ).

Any suggestions/advice? Cheers.

the sound quality doesnt necessarily degrade when using a standalone recorder.

the only thing thats usually not so hot are the preamps, which you can often bypass by using line ins. after that, unless youre an audiophile, for the most part, a digital recording is a digital recording.

the thing about standalone recorders is the editing capabilities are far from easy compared to a pc daw. but th hd16 is that one where you can use it as a control surface isnt it? so you could just record on the hd 16, transfer over to your computer and then edit and mix on there.

seems like a good idea if you cant get your source to your computer.

hope that helped somehow.

Adam

Cheers for that. I was looking at using it as a control surface as well, which would be ideal really - and that's one of the things that has attracted me to it.

Does anybody know anything about the preamps on the zoom? I'm not really going to have the option of using the lineins, unless I invest in a solid preamp as well.

Back