Zoom HD16 Control Surface with Reaper

drbabbers

All,

I have managed to set my Zoom HD16 as a Control Surface for Reaper. However I am not able to get any track to record any input from the hardware. For example I am using a guitar plugged into track 1 on the hardware. By default it appears to be using my internal microphone.

I have checked through the manual but am a bit stuck.. I managed to get it working with Cubase Le4, but Reaper is my preferred choice for a DAW. I am probably missing something very basic..

Would appreciate any advice or assistance with setting up the Zoom HD16 with Reaper.

Thanks.
D

There should be a place in there to assign the driver to the correct input. Might be able to do it in the sound control panel - but there should be an option in Reaper

Ok mate Ill take a look thank you. Does it make any difference that this is on OSX?

Also.. Maybe if I explain what I want to do...

- Have my HD16 setup with a guitar connected to Track 1
- Connect my HD16 via USB to my PC
- Enter 'Control Surface' Mode
- Using REAPER record the input from my HD16 so that it is fed directly into a track within Reaper

Is this possible?

D

Now, I'm far away from an expert on this HD16, but I had it once, and I am pretty sure that you sadly can't connect this unit to your computer and use it/record from there. Now, you are able to firewire it to your computer and use all the recorded files, or just listen to them with your computer, but you can't use it as record with it through your pc. Through a software.

If I am wrong, correct me guys, but I'm pretty sure of this.

Hope it helps.

Mads

I think you are indeed correct! It appears from my research that you can't use the HD16 as an audio interface.

Its no big deal for me.. I will record my tracks directly into the HD16 then hook it up to the PC and import the WAV files to my DAW.

Thanks.
D

Didn't realize it was as older Zoom - apparently the newer models do allow you to multi-track into your DAW.

Guess you are going to have to record and then import files into Reaper :X

@arcadeko

Yea that is my only option. I am tempted to sell my HD16 and purchase an R16 which gives me the audio interface option. I can of course record onto the HD16 and move the WAV files across via USB, but I would really prefer direct input into my DAW.

All I really want to achieve is to setup my band into the Zoom hardware and record directly into my DAW. This is all a learning curve for me! I'll get there in the end I hope.

D

@arcadeko
All I really want to achieve is to setup my band into the Zoom hardware and record directly into my DAW. This is all a learning curve for me! I'll get there in the end I hope.
D

I would recommend that you do sell it then. If you are doing a lot of recording from a home studio it is much easier.

You want a full duplex interface so you can actually multi-track.

I have heard good things about the newer Zooms - Alesis Multimix USB 2.0 8 or 16 are also good inexpensive multitrack recorders. But the Alesis will not act as a control surface. I think the new Zoom can do multi-track and control which would be cool. I just use the mouse :)

This might help some: USB/Firewire Computer Interface:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ltitrack-computer-interface-recording-323561/

My HD16 is now for sale on Ebay! I am going to buy a R16 as a replacement. They look like the exact thing I am after. Thanks for all the help. Luckily I picked up my HD16 VERY cheap so hopefully will get a good sale.

D

Back