ZOOM H6 workflow tips and tricks

CarlWonderful

Hello fellow jammers.

So I love my H6 and use it all the time. But there are a couple things that bug me and hoping to get some tips on how your workflow goes.

1. Is there any way to see the duration (or time remaining) of the current track while listening. Would be really helpful.

2. How do you organize H6 WAV files. I record all my practice and live performances which add up fast. When I fill an SD card, I dump all the files onto my computer. Then I get a brand new SD card and start filling that one up. But with each new card the H6 starts naming the folders/files starting at (Folders - ZOOM0001) ( file in folder - ZOOM0001_tr1) again, so if I tried to have a folder where ALL my files are they will have same filename. Very hard to organize and keep track of what is what and also not to overwrite (different) files which end up having the same filename. Any thoughts or tricks to help me organize. I get overwhelmed fast with all my files and end up not using any of them which is a bummer.

If anyone has any tips or tricks or setting I can change I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!!

When you dump projects to your computer, why not put them in a folder named something like SDCard1, SDCard2, or something like that. Can you rename the Project folders when you initially set up the project on the H6? I do that on my H4n and R24.

Ya and also you can just rename the wave files to anything that makes sense instead of the number that zoom gives it

Good info from those above. It really is just designing a system that works for you. I have a little box of 32Gb cards on the desk. These get used to bring into the computer zoom files from the H6 I use and camera video with a guide embedded track for sync. So two cards for each project. These are simply copied into the computer, into a numbered new folder, so on the big drive is a folder marked 122, I simply grab the zoom files from 1, 2 or 3 folders depending on what I recorded, and I slap these into 122, along with just the video files from the video card. Once in 122, I reformat the cards and pop them back in the box. The only change to this system is to stop a common mistake. Let's say the zoom has 4 tracks, for 4 different mics. During the transfer process I get rid of the zoom incremental number and replace it with sm57, sm58 etc. this just prevents mistakes later and jogs my memory when I see the track name in the editor. It does mean that if you search for the zoom file name, it comes up as hundreds of identical named versions, but in different folders. So far, this doesn't cause problems for me - but I probably should have renamed them to something like 122-1, 122-2 or something, or even 122-1a if there were retakes? Whatever works for you and is not a pain housekeeping!

Back