Zoom H4N room/mixing techniques for vocals:

MEvansMusic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been browsing around these parts for awhile now and have finally decided to join. Anyways, I just wanted to get some feedback on an issue I've been having when it comes to recording vocals.

So my setup is as follows: I use an Audio-Technica microphone lined in with a Zoom H4N recorder. I typically use the MTR function and plug in my guitar as well. Anyway, the problem is a little more complicated. In the past I've recorded a few covers: mostly electronic/acoustic mixes, but I can never get the vocals to sound quite right. Their typically in key, I don't usually have a problem with that--but the vocals sound way less "professional" than the rest of the mix. I've had some experience with Pro Tools 10/11 and have a pretty good idea on how to create a "professional" sounding mix, but no matter what I do, the result is the same: weak vocals, but not off key--they just sound wrong I guess.

It's kind of a broad scenario, but I'm just looking for some insider tips and ideas on what might be going on. I record the vocals in the zoom h4n without any preamps (zoom h4n preamps are kind of terrible), in my bedroom (yeah I know). And that might be the problem. I sing live and it sounds fine. I record takes and it sounds fine. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect my Zoom interface with pro tools 11 (I know Avid is a big **** about third party software, etc). I import the audio into pro tools, but the vocals just sound unprofessional. I throw some compression in and have been toying around with EQ settings, delays, reverbs, chorus effects, etc, to no avail.

Cliffs:
-Recording bedroom vocals via Audio-Technica 2035 mic/Zoom H4n recorder. (No preamps)
-Vocals sound fine live with acoustic mixes.
-Create "professional" (ish) sounding mixes via Pro Tools 11, all is good.
-Vocals sound slightly "unprofessional" and unpolished compared to the rest of my mix, no matter the effects I apply.
-Think it's potentially the room but need input/ideas

Anyways, thanks for your time guys, it's much appreciated!

Hi! You should post us a clip so we can hear whats wrong.
How are you connecting the AT to Zoom? Are you using xlr to xlr cable?

Your mice is just fine, and your preamps on the zoom are probably better than what you might think. I would USE the preamps that are located directly underneath the unit. I'm not sure what your definition of "professional" is....but if your looking for radio quality....unless you have years of experience mixing and what not....it's not going to happen. You have to pay for that..... What I mean by this is.....you have to pay for a decent mic, good preamps....external....or a professional mixer...."Mackie"... a decent DAC, a decent sequencer...."you have good one already"....

Check out Tweakheadz is the #1 site for learning about home and project music studios.

That website is where I learned pretty much everything....as well as advice from people here on the forum....and a billion hours of trial and error.....and I still suck if we are speaking in todays audio standards....crap you hear on the radio.

One thing that I do when recording vocals....is I always record the same vocal twice. This will most certainly beef up your vocal tracks!

Have you looked at an audio interface yet? The zoom isn't a very good way to get your music into a software program...or "sequencer" for mixing.

Thanks for the Tweakheadz reference, I've been looking for a website like that for a long time and somehow haven't stumbled upon this. Will definitely be digging through this site on a normal basis.
In terms of vocals, however, recording the same vocal twice has beefed them up (have also tried doubling/tripling and panning/putting tiny amounts of delay through an aux channel), but the result is still the same. I honestly think it's just the room at this point, so I'm going to switch things up and see what happens.
Also, in response to Seidy, if the H4N does in fact work as an interface (especially with Avid software), could you maybe point me in the right direction of correctly connecting everything? Might be the wrong area of the forum, but when I plug in the Zoom H4N and head to the Audio Interface/Soundrive window (ASIO4ALL user) in pro tools, the option for utilizing the Zoom H4N will in fact appear, but after turning it on I can't configure the bus settings correctly. What I mean by that is the interface will have it's own bus in the bus menu, which makes sense...but when I attempt to wire an audio track to that specific bus I get message that the insert path is unavailable/already in use. Even changing the I/O in the mix window yields no results. Sorry if this is the wrong section for this type of question, but any support would be greatly appreciated.

Back