zoom h4n recorder vs. SM 57,interfadce, and cheap music software

soma89

Hello there...I had in mind to get a budget studio going with a mbox type interface and something like an sm57 and/or some condenser around $300. I was hoping I`d use the software that would come stock with the interface (probably a Lite version of something) throw in some vst`s and get some demos going.

I just read about camera recorders like the Zoom H4n and it seems like it could do everything i`d want it to but in a more convenient package and cheaper than my Plan A. Would this recorder be a good way to get some decent-quality recordings (acoustic, vocals, bass) down even when it involves layering and the use of Virtual Instruments? Or am I better off going with my Plan A? If so, why?

FWIW I`d most likely just be using the stock condensers on the H4N to record.

Thanks you!

I would recommend plan a if your computer is up for it of course. Much more flexible than standalones imo. Though I did/do love my dp008. I hope to one day get it fixed and running again for demos. Recorders with built in mics are definitely convenient.

I`m changing my mind on this one a little. Say I get a Sony PCM M10 and use it as my main input device for my recording sessions. Would that work out? If i just load up the files on individual tracks instead of recording straight into the computer through a mic+interface.

The Sony is a field recorder. It has no digital output. You woudl still need an audio interface to get the signals into the computer for mixing. For $300 get an interface and a mic!

Back