Zoom H4N compatible with Pro Tools 11?

MEvansMusic

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what's been going on here. Recently, I've been attempting to use/connect my Zoom H4N (recorder) to use as an interface with Pro Tools 11. I've browsed through a few other forums on the matter and a lot of people say they make the Zoom work as an interface, and a lot of people say that the interface must be specifically a Digidesign product in order for it to work at all. When I connect the Zoom H4N to my computer and select the playback engine option in Pro Tools 11, it appears in the input/output section of my playback engine, says the connection is there, but when I create a single audio track (mono) and try to set my interface as the input, I either get the message "Insert already in use", or simply no cooperation at all. I know the answer is probably right in my face but if anyone uses the Zoom H4N as an interface with Pro Tools, can you tell me how you set it up in the Bus/Playback Engine/IO windows/got it working? I don't want to have to go buy an interface specifically from Digidesign unless I know that the Zoom H4N is totally non-compatible. Any info would be appreciated...thanks guys :)

Pro Tools from version 9 can use all sorts of hardware. The Digi hardware requirement ended with PT8. If it appears in the I/O window then you ought to be able to get signal to and from PT. What OS are you on, Mac or Windows?

I did hear that they stopped requiring specifically Digidesign interfaces but wasn't totally positive. It appears in the I/O window as well, the interface picks up signal but Pro Tools doesn't seem too. I'm almost positive there's a way to do it and I'm sure it's obvious but I just can't seem to figure it out. I just get the "output is already in use" message or no sound at all when I try and route a track to pick up signal from the H4N. Also I use Windows 8, which does pick up the interface and recognize it.

I did hear that they stopped requiring specifically Digidesign interfaces.

That's correct. The old news is still perpetuated on some forums but PT 9,10 and 11 are open to the whole interface market.
There are a few exceptions and I don't know if the H4N is one of them, but I'm sure google will tell you.

Best case scenario you just need to go to Setup>Playback and pick your interface (which you've done), and then

1. Go to Setup>I/O.
  2. Go to the input tab
  3. Hit ctrl+a or apple+a to select all paths
  4. Delete all paths
  5. Click default to repopulate the list.
  6. Go to the output tab
  7. Repeat steps 3-5

Sometimes Protools holds on to the old I/O layout and just claims that I/O are inactive or whatever.

I'm not sure about Pro Tools, but it works with other DAWs like Reaper.

What is also relevant in this regard is what kind of computer you are on. The H4n is not compatible with AMD-based computers. Believe me, I found out the hard way.

@dainbramage ...damn. I just checked and realized that my laptop is in fact AMD-based. Followed up a query on their website and read the same thing, something about compatability or something. I think that must be my issue. I'll try the other suggestions first and let you know what happens. Hopefully I can somehow get it to work as I hate the thought of buying another $150+ interface just to record straight to Pro Tools. Recording into the interface and then transferring via SD works okay but it's a lot less efficient. Thanks guys

@dainbramage ...damn. I just checked and realized that my laptop is in fact AMD-based. Followed up a query on their website and read the same thing, something about compatability or something. I think that must be my issue.

Well, if I remember correctly I was able to find the device within my DAW (Reaper) but it was just making weird noises instead of the actual input sound when I recorded.

You need to use Zoom's own ASIO driver

Ian (H4n user but with Mixcraft)

Ah, yes. Now I remember. It is Zoom's own ASIO driver that is not compatible with AMD-based computers. I got it into my DAW by using "ASIO4all" or something like that, but it was useless. All I got was weird noises and a TON of latency.

Sorry for the strong bump... but I cannot get my Zoom H4n to work with Pro Tools.

I am using an Intel Windows 8.1 PC with the latest version of Pro Tools 11. (11.2.3?) I am trying to get my Zoom H4n interface to work with it, but none of the ASIO drivers I have found for it seem to work... I always get an error saying "Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program" (and it shuts down whether I click ok or more help). I have also tried the ASIO4ALL driver and that just makes it crash the second you try and load a session.

Has anybody successfully used the Zoom H4n as a USB interface with Pro Tools? I can use my MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid with no issues at all but the Zoom doesn't seem to work at all. The Zoom does seem to work with Reaper, but not Pro Tools :(

Back