Zildjian Crashes

soulgrind

Hey hows it going?
I am just tryin to get some opinions out there from co-drummers.. i am looking to purchase 2 new Zildjian crashes and I am stumbled to which 2 i should buy. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:
1) Z Custom Rock Crash
2) Z Custom Medium Crash
3) A Medium Crash
I would truely appreciate your suggestions and choices.

Thanks a million and keep on rockin,
soulgrind

Are these cymbals for recording or playing out? What style of music? All this stuff is very subjective, and it is totally up to you. My only advice is that if they are for recording buy thinner cymbals, they'll show up on tape (or disk) better. For live, if you already have abunch of crashes, volume isn't as important, but if not, then loud is good. Get something that will cut through the mix. See if they'll let you play a full kit with the cymbals set up on it in the store. I don't know much about specifics on Zildgian's, I'm a Sabian man myself.

Jake

Yes, I second that - noone can tell you what to buy, buy what you like. Taking the rest of your cymbals with you is great advice. Also, try to select the 2 crashes so they match musically (a musical interval and same texture, this isn't always true even for the same models). Aim for about 2 inches difference and see if you can find a pair that is a third or a fourth/fifth apart in pitch (like a "ding-dong" door bell). I'm glad I bought mine that way, they really complement each other and harmonize. Also, when your cymbals match, you can play cool patterns on bells and it could sound similar to church bells or whatever.

Besides playing them on a kit at the store, try to have someone else play them for you and stand in front of the kit.

I use 2 Zildjian A Custom splashes (10" & 12", they're matched, too) and I like A Custom crashes, but to me Paiste crashes just have more interesting tone, I like how it develops. I use Sound Formula Thin Crashes (16" and 18"). I also liked their other series. I'm not recommending these, but merely suggesting that you give them a try. You might like them.

Back