yurt - circular floor, conical cieling...

lotuscent

Hey all - this may sound weird, but I'm thinking of building a yurt to turn into my short term studio. Right now I'm in a weird space adjoining my wife's art studio, and her business is kind of overflowing into mine...

Anyway, i can get a yurt up and functioning for about 6-8 grand depending on the luxuries(!) but eventually i may use it for who knows what...

So until I can actually fund "the dream studio", does anyone have any opinion about a circular space, approx. 24 ft. in diameter, 8 ft. walls and a conical center approx 12 feet high?

It seems cool intuitively, but acoustically...

Anybody done it? Wanna see me try?

peace.

Acoustically, it would be a nightmare!
The idea in a studio is to avoid parallel walls.
A circle is INFINATELY parallel.

Ever yell down a well?

oh... I though of that, like everything would endlessly reflect, but with diffusors, couldn't that translate into complete dispersion? But I guess there is the standing wave issue...

If the circle were divided into big "slices" with big baffles and some pony walls, wouldn't the resulting shapes be pretty cool, acoustically speaking?

Theoretically if you ran some triangular diffusors along the entire lengths of the walls it could be an interesting sound. It would be an expensive experiment.

WTF is a Yurt?

TexRoadkill said:
WTF is a Yurt?
yurt - Pronunciation (yûrt)
n.
A circular, domed, portable tent used by nomadic peoples of central Asia.

I don't think he's going to build a tent though; more like a rotunda.

lotuscent said:
...If the circle were divided into big "slices" with big baffles and some pony walls, wouldn't the resulting shapes be pretty cool, acoustically speaking?
You mean each room would be like a piece of pie? But maybe with the pointy end truncated or cut off? And maybe make the "rear" wall the "crust" of the pie?

That might be kinda cool, but I'd think you'd have to treat the rear wall pretty heavily. A triangle isn't really the most space efficient shape though.

Hell, I dunno.... :cool:

Just because the building is round doesn't mean the rooms have to be round. Build interior walls that follow conventional design practices and fit within the 24' diameter building. There will be wasted space, but that's not always a bad thing for separation purposes.

Just my $.02 worth.

Darryl.....

Just because the building is round doesn't mean the rooms have to be round. Build interior walls that follow conventional design practices and fit within the 24' diameter building. There will be wasted space, but that's not always a bad thing for separation purposes.

Very, very true.

If you like round structures, google up Buckminster Fuller or Bucky Fuller, the gent who is associated with the invention of geometric dome buildings. You'll find some fairly sophisticated floorplans, and since his domes are, well, round, you can use some of the floorplans to get a good idea how to carve up a round structure into less round structures.

The wasted space could be filled with foam, padding, bass traps, or even used as closets.

Can never have enough closets in a studio.

See, the idea is to go cheap and fast. I can get one of these erected (from a kit) a lot faster than if I frame up a real building, plus it can be moved fairly easily...

I live in Alaska where building practices can get pretty far out... I'm just thnking of cool alternatives.

when i eventually build a "real" studio, I want to do it to the best of my ability and budget. for now, I need something... well something. And I like yurts.

BTW, Bucky fuller has quite a few Alaskan disciples.

Attached (hopefully) is a quickie sample of what I envisioned for this type of space. The control room is based on John's control room design from the SAE site. The tick marks are for dimensional reference.

Cheers,
Darryl.....

Attachments

• yurt studio sample jpeg.jpg
    yurt studio sample jpeg.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 135
Darryl - you almost read my mind... as far as a floor plan goes, that is VERY close to what I came up with when I actually sat down and thought hard and began sketching.

I would probably make the control room a little deeper to get the apex above the mixing station and do a skylight there, and maybe about 3 feet narrower to give some more space to the iso rooms.

What is the SAE site?

You might also want to check out John Sayers site. He has a link to the above SAE site, which contains material he wrote for SAE as well as a forum for designing and building studios. He's a great resource and has helped countless people on this BBS and others with studio design. You can also view studios of many of our BBS compatriots (including Michael Jones and Frederic's old layout).

http://www.homer.com.au/jls/

Cheers,
Darryl.....

Hope you don't mind a minor recommendation/adjustment to your drawing.

Since the points at the various rooms won't be terribly useful, you might consider making small closets. While these closets aren't large enough to store recorders and huge boxes, a lot of hooks on the insides will allow you to sling cables and maybe guitars on the walls and stuff to maximize the space, and remove the sharp points in the ends of the live and iso booths.

Not that removing the points is a big deal, but you might find them visually distracting, because it is an uncommon architecture feature.

Hope you don't mind...

Attachments

• yurt.jpg
    yurt.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 112
you know...that looks pretty friggin cool. One of the more creative designs for small spaces that I think would be really neat...and you could have a little entrance at the back of the control room, or studio room... into the building and make it look like a giant igloo.

Okay, I was bored this morning so I re-yurted :D

What I did here was illustrated better the two closets I recommend.

I also swiped one of John Sayer's control room designs from his website to depict some accurate, well designed measurements (hope he doesn't mind, its really a compliment!)

Then, I made the live room slightly smaller, to allow for non-parallel walls between the live room and the two iso rooms, as well as eliminate the giant straight wall that may cause you some grief. I went out of my way to make sure nothing's parallel, but I'm not a pro at this so my drawing might be moot.

But, its what came to my mind when you explained what a yurt is, so it was a fun exercise either way.

Attachments

• yurt.jpg
    yurt.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 97
I'll take one.... in blue, if you have it.. Looks pretty "condusive" to me. I like it!!

(I presume you crawl in thru the roof of something:eek: )

(I presume you crawl in thru the roof of something:eek: ) [/B]

heh-heh.

Um. Yes.

If you remember the original design of my commercial studio which never went anywhere, I had forgotten a front door too :)

Oiy.

So, pretend there is a door on the yurt, um, lower right, and a matching door in the inner wall to the live room!

Good eye Mix, good eye.

Frederic,

You showed me up!! I can't believe you took the time to make a classy sketch out of my 10 minute kludge. Your layout is what I would've wound up with, most likely, if I had spent more than 10 minutes thinking about it. What drawing package do you use? I only have an old version of Visio that I've mastered drawing simple lines with.

Anyway, I think this is fun and wish I had the time to do it more often. Maybe I'd actually learn what I'm doing.

Darryl.....

Back