Youtube Channel "Mix It Up"

jonlint

Hi everyone,

I have decided to launch a Youtube Channel "Mix It Up" to share my lessons learned as I try to improve as a musician, songwriter, arranger and a mixer. There will be various segments and it will develop based on your feedback.

I have just released the first episode of "Arranging Things" where I dissect a song I wrote "Wolf's Skin". As a bonus, I am leaving a link to stems and also a collection of free plugins that you can get started with mixing a complete song. As a further bonus, I made a rough mix using only free plugins in Reaper, which you can download all from YouTube video description.

Here is a link to the video:
YouTube

If you like it, I would appreciate a like and subscribe. I hope to bring you more content in the coming months.

Hi all,

A first in a series called "Grunge Greats" on my YouTube channel Mix It Up is now online:

YouTube

The episode analyses how Jerry Cantrell uses fills to build interest and density, and I show how I took this inspiration in my songs. Hope you enjoy. More to come...

This level of in-depth analysis has the potential to be quite naff but your material is so strong you pull it off. Good luck with your new channel you deserve to do well. Just something weird I noticed with the audio like at 10.12 it breaks up like a bad connection. I thought it was my connection but I replayed it a few times and it always does it at the same place. That Wolf Skin is excellent btw

The problem with youtube videos and such is that I have yet to find one(I know they are out there) that really goes into depth about how something should sound...In other words, really breaking it down to why something should be EQ'd this or that way, how the parts should sound in solo mode and then put in the mix. Most everything I have found has been something like "we are going to do this" but they don't explain exactly why it should happen. Even with the extensive library at Groove3 I find they don't go into a lot real explanations. Maybe I am just asking too much.

I like yours so far...good job! I will subscribe for sure.

This level of in-depth analysis has the potential to be quite naff but your material is so strong you pull it off. Good luck with your new channel you deserve to do well. Just something weird I noticed with the audio like at 10.12 it breaks up like a bad connection. I thought it was my connection but I replayed it a few times and it always does it at the same place. That Wolf Skin is excellent btw

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the audio glitch. I had two Reaper tabs open, one recording, one showing how I am mixing with the song. The CPU got overloaded I think and caused that glitch. Solved for the future as I have a laptop hooked up to a separate Reaper project now recording the audio. So that will not happen again. Learning as I go!

---------- Update ----------

Hi All,

Check out episode 2 of "Grunge Greats" on Mix It Up:

YouTube

Hi all,

Episode 3 of "Arranging Things" on Mix It Up is out. In this episode I focus on the song arrangement and development of an acoustic guitar based song.

Hope you enjoy. More to come, so subscribe to keep up to date.

YouTube

Back