You're all still here !

BRDTS

It's been pretty much computer-only for me for so many years now that it's not likely that I'm going to fire up the old stuff again. Whaddya think thse are going for in this terrible economy? I haven't checked the ebay/craigslist route yet, but you all probably have some fantastic feedback.

I'm first owner on all this stuff of course. Purchased/picked up direct from Tascam Montebello when these babies were brand new and for the most part, this stuff really hasn't been used that much even after all these years. For the past five years or more, they've been sealed away. I ran all the decks about six months ago in sync with the Midiizer and Ats 500 together for a few hours to move some old tape tracks to the computers and all work great as usual.

MSr24 with dbx + factory manual

Midiizer plus two of the always-hard-to-find factory sync cables .. also with the final firmware chip inside to control 24 tracks. And factory manual

ATS 500 and elusive factory sync cables .. and factory manual

M3700 console. And factory manual/schematics. The 32 channel with full meter bridge, optional overbridge meter shelf thingee that Tascam made for awhile there and the ever-elusive $1000 JL Cooper automation circuit upgrade card inside and their separate software for drawing in automation on a Mac ... or just watching the faders move around on the Mac after automation moves if you like. Although to tell you the truth, old Performas were the last Macs I used so who knows what new Macs will even run the old JL Cooper software. This also works as a great controller for daw faders what with the great midi implementation.

TSr8 and manual and the elusive remote control for it with all the autolocate buttons, eight track arming buttons etc.. and extra factory reel clamps since those used to give out over time.

let's see .. piles of tape, takeup reels etc. I think I have Model 1s and Da-30s around here too somewhere.

I was considering selling the 85-16b, but that has a pretty high nostalgia connection with me and the old days so I'll probably keep it. I still remember uncrating that from it's huge wooden crate !

I'm sorta expecting everyone to say prices are in the tank for this stuff. in which case, I'll just keep it around for future museums or something. I'm not a motivated seller by any stretch and would really only sell to people who can pick the things up here in the Los Angeles area. But it would be nice to see these great machines being used by people for music rather than me just sitting on them decade after decade. Ha !

It's been pretty much computer-only for me for so many years now that it's not likely that I'm going to fire up the old stuff again.

I would hold onto them if I were you, just in case you come to your senses. ;)

Hi it Chris108
You mentioned in one or two of your posts you have synced all sorts tascam Reel to Reels together and more.

Have you ever used a Tascam MTS-30 midi sync I purchased one a quite a few months back to sync Alesis SR16 to TSR8 to control speed of SR16 or vise versa or to lock two machines together ect
Unfortunately there was no manual.
Some one else was also Looking for manual and unsure how to use it.
So I have played around with it &wrote it down to helpanyone in the future.

Is it capable of doing anyting more than what I have done with it?
I hate not having manuals for things and not knowing what else there capable of doing.
Is there a betterway of programing or setting it up other than what I have done?
If you have any advice or help you could give I would be most grateful.
Best wishes Chris108.
I have had a play with it.

step1: Hook up to Rec unit (tape in/tape out of Mts to Rec unit)
if on Multi 8trk track 8 trk /trk 4 on a 4 track.

Step 2: connect Midi leads to MTS and to device you with to sync with
(my case is a old SR-16 Drum machine)

step 3: disable your DBX for that trk if your Rec unit has it.

Step 4: select Time signature on MTS-30

step 5: Hit record on your multi trk then hit save button on MTS-30
This sends a a high freq from it`s line out to line in on Rec Unit.

step 6: Hit play button on unit to be syncronized
when your duration of time you want is over press save
button again to stop signal.

Play back (8trk running Drum machine)

step 1: rewind 8tk to start of recorded section and make sure your MTS-30 only displays 3x dashes (---)

step 2: press playback on 8tk & after a few seconds your drum machine
should start automatically playing with 8trk.

I don`t as yet know what else it can do progam wise as I don`t have a manual for it.

If any has or knows more I would be most grateful if they could let me know.

I never bought an MT30 back in the day as it was really only for sync of drum machines and sequencers to tape and nothing else. Sounds like you've got the gist of it figured out for your Alesis. The MT30 was also a smart box of sorts as you could ff/rew tape to any location, hit play, and the MT stripe would know where you were in time to then tell a drum machine to go to its correct place in its string of patterns. That is if the drum machine/sequencer was also smart enough to read time locations. Some of the earliest midi stuff could not do that.

The Linndrums, JL Cooper boxes around here, and even the Midiizer along with its motor sync capability already had midi sync and stripe capability built in so something like the MT30 wasn't necessary around here.

Back