Your thoughts on the Fender Frontman line...

JoeyNukes

...more specifically, the 212R.

I've been contemplating on it for a while, as I'm skeptical about most Fender products, especially ones that seem to be a good deal.

But for those of you who've used it, can you give me some input, could you recommend it to some kid who wants to replace his big box 'o feedback?

EDIT: I totally forgot about genre/what I'm looking for.
Little feedback. Nice clear clean channel, gritty lite-med.heavy crunch tone. Decent spectrum of frequencies. 'N budget priced.

Last edited:
To the kid I would recommend Fender Super Champ XD - same budget, real tube tone, clear channel and a selection of crunch of various crispiness :rolleyes:

add to that easy speaker replacements (recommended by most who tried), easy mods and raving reviews and you have a winner.

Can it hang with 100W solid-staters in band practice? Yes, if the silly people playing the 100W solid-staters don't try to drown out the drummer.

Completely acceptable, but far from optimal.

If ya have a decent pedal board, they can sound just fine, but I have a feeling that you will always be wishing ya woulda put the money into something nicer.

...more specifically, the 212R.

I've been contemplating on it for a while, as I'm skeptical about most Fender products, especially ones that seem to be a good deal.

But for those of you who've used it, can you give me some input, could you recommend it to some kid who wants to replace his big box 'o feedback?

EDIT: I totally forgot about genre/what I'm looking for.
Little feedback. Nice clear clean channel, gritty lite-med.heavy crunch tone. Decent spectrum of frequencies. 'N budget priced.

Save and get a flagship product, not a practice amp.

what helps is actually learning about various types of amps out there and what music/tone they're associated with. If you do, finding the right amp for you will still be a process, however the "wrong" amps will be readily apparent!

I had one for a while, (key word HAD) not that it was a bad amp, just to dry sounding to suit me. What can I say, tube amps have spoiled me.

I compared the 65watt FMR with all the emulated sounds and such to the Traynor DG30D(they have a 60 watt version too but my thirty can still shake my house if i turn it up past 5) and the traynor had a nicer tone to it, a friend and i were at long and mcdonalds cranking them side by side. Less emulated sounds on the traynor but good for the heavier stuff and can pull off metal... and its cheaper too, mine only cost me 215 canadian.
That being said the traynor also has built in effects; Chorus, Flanger, Vibrato and 'special' and a seperate reverb knob. they kind of suck, but they're still pretty good comparatively to the fender.

I own one and I also own a Fender Blues Junior, and I use the 212R when playing out and I like its clean channel but the distortion channel is just way too noisy for me and I just don't like the tone of it, so if your not really relying on amp distortion I recommend it.

Back